LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-10-30, 3:20pm

So even though the face diameter of the Betta is larger, the flame width is???

Is the flame width of the Betta narrower than the Minnow? More like the width of the Piranha flame?

Sandy
Old 2006-10-30, 3:51pm
I'm a lilac!

That was very informative, I think all my questions were answered. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelady
The Betta puts out 12,815 BTU's/hour, and the Barracuda puts out 23,067 BTU's/hour. These figures are based on tanks with 5 psi propane and 20 psi oxygen. I don't have the BTU's for the Betta at the low pressures. Although I can say I'm always surprised at how easily the Betta does boro on less than a pound of gas and five pounds oxygen.

Meanwhile, the face diameter of the Piranha was 9.5 mm. The face diameter of the Betta is 16 mm. The face diameter of the SS Minnow is 12 mm. That shows you the relative physical diameter of the torch face, but does not truly indicate the width of the flame while the torch is in use. The Minnow is just nice and bushy for a small torch...

I wouldn't say you'd need to go back to propane for the Minnow....try it with natural gas and see how low you can go with your pressure....

Regarding a "step up" from the Minor. The Minnow will do boro faster and is a real hot, luxurious flame....It's a step up, but size-wise it's not a huge step. If you wanted to go "up"...get a Barracuda!!!

Let's see, did I leave anyone's question unanswered???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-11-02, 4:53pm
On A Lampwork Hiatus

I am about 2 shakes away from ordering the minnow.. Just a quick question.. Do you know if there is a torch top marver for it?
Old 2006-11-02, 5:34pm
In search of her path....

im not positive but I would think unless the barrel is alot smaller than the bobcat and minor, that any of the marvers that fit the bobcat and minor would / could probally fit the minnow just from looking at it not positive mind you lol im a "mcgyver" it kind of girl lol

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-11-02, 10:17pm
On A Lampwork Hiatus

I am hoping that your McGyver instincts are right as I just ordered it.. Now the hard part, waiting...
Old 2006-11-03, 6:39am

Default Minnow Page on Website Launches Later Today

I spoke to our web designer, and they say they expect to put the Minnow page up late today. (Let's hope they keep their promise!) The website is: www.bethlehemburners.com. So let's check it out later. I for one can't wait to see it....

Regarding the torch marver....I'm sure somebody will come up with one, but since the torch doesn't even begin shipping till next week, I don't expect that there's one specifically for the Minnow ....yet!!
Old 2006-11-03, 10:26am
Oooooh Baby!

Quote:
Just a note: You might want to check out this thread:
"The Minnow Rocks With An Oxygen Concentrator"
Actually, I said it Rocks with an Integra (pretty much like the new Regalia) which is 10 lpm. Not sure how it does with a concentrator.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...e+minnow+rocks

Last edited by Kaleidoglass; 2006-11-03 at 10:37am.
Old 2006-11-03, 11:24am
On A Lampwork Hiatus

Quote:
I spoke to our web designer, and they say they expect to put the Minnow page up late today. (Let's hope they keep their promise!) The website is: www.bethlehemburners.com. So let's check it out later. I for one can't wait to see it....

Regarding the torch marver....I'm sure somebody will come up with one, but since the torch doesn't even begin shipping till next week, I don't expect that there's one specifically for the Minnow ....yet!!
Actually the ordering page was up last night for it as it ordered from their website last night..
Old 2006-11-03, 4:20pm

Hi Megan! Yes, if you looked under "product index" last night you could find it there. But the actual page with torch specs, etc., went up this afternoon. Here's the link: http://www.bethlehemburners.com/minnow.htm
Old 2006-11-06, 10:07am
Oooooh Baby!

do we know yet if they are coming out with a top mount marver? I already put my order in for the Minnow and I really, really want a top mount marver for it.

Old 2018-02-10, 1:58am

Hi
I know this is an old thread but I was interested in all the data on flow rates of gas and oxy. In the UK NG pressure is rated in millibars and I can't find a conversion chart between mbar and either litres per hour or cubic feet per hour. This makes working out what I need really difficult as I want to upgrade from a Hot Head to an NG/oxy torch.
Can anyone enlighten me please?
Many thanks
Ann
Old 2018-02-10, 6:07pm

200 bar equals 2900.75 PSI, hope that helps.
Old 2018-02-14, 3:45am

Umm.. it might! Thank you. I'll go and see if I can get a conversion between PSI and ltr or cu ft. Why can't everyone speak the same language?!!
Old 2018-02-14, 6:34am
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyann View Post
Why can't everyone speak the same language?!!
Ann, I am always perplexed by this too!
Old 2018-02-15, 10:56pm
da General

Quote:
Umm.. it might! Thank you. I'll go and see if I can get a conversion between PSI and ltr or cu ft. Why can't everyone speak the same language?!!
All you have to do is put in google search: 1 psi to kpa or 1psi to bar (or any number in place of 1) and google will provide the kpa or bar equivalent. Same with any conversion, e.g., US$10 to Sterling will yield £7.08

|
|
|
|
Old 2018-02-15, 11:44pm

Thanks Hayley. I did spend a lot of time Googling and searching the forum before asking. The problem is converting units of pressure to units of volume. Torches seem to be rated in volume units - litres per hour or cubic feet. Millibars are pressure units.
I think I've found something now though.

Last edited by Handyann; 2018-02-15 at 11:48pm.
Old 2018-02-16, 12:05pm
da General

Quote:
Thanks Hayley. I did spend a lot of time Googling and searching the forum before asking. The problem is converting units of pressure to units of volume. Torches seem to be rated in volume units - litres per hour or cubic feet. Millibars are pressure units.
I think I've found something now though.
Actually those are two different things – one is the pressure and the other the flow. You never need to convert one to the other.

For example, a Bethlehem Bravo's requirement for maximum performance is 8 psi; 66 cu. ft./hr. (1867 l/hr.) so 8 psi pressure and 31 lpm (litre per minute)

http://www.bethlehemburners.com/torches/bravo

And the Alpha 8 psi; 27 cu. ft./hr. (765 l/hr.) – 13 lpm

http://www.bethlehemburners.com/torches/alpha

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2018-02-16 at 12:08pm.