TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: What were you most afraid of as a lampwork virgin?
Lighting the torch 227 42.91%
Shocky glass flying at you 126 23.82%
Not being as good as you hoped to be 146 27.60%
Not having everything "just right" 55 10.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 529. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-05-17, 12:54pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Yeah, the torch and kiln were scary at first, but what concerned me the most was - was this going to be a hobby that I spent a lot of money on to get set up, and then lost interest in? Now its fifteen years later and I love lampwroking to the extent that I wish I could make a real good living at it, because I love it way way more than owning and running an accounting practice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-05-18, 12:35pm

I was a fuser first - heat and glass weren't a problem. Perfection, though, always has been...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A fuser trying to figure out this hot glass thing!

Currently using HH w/ MAPP gas - Cricket w/ concentrator is on the way!
Old 2009-05-19, 4:42pm

I'll have to say lighting the torch. I started out with one of those lampworking kits from Delphi Glass...moved up to a hot head. After about a year on that I purchased a Minor, the hoses and the regulators. They sat in a box for a year and a half!! This was also partly due to the fact that I didn't have an appropiate place for everything.

Now I have my studio set up in my garage...well...half my garage. Everything is set up just fine and I have more than enough room!

Duane
Old 2009-05-21, 4:06pm

I made DH light the hothead first. Then I was fine, but will always want to do better, and more creative work!

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2009-05-21, 7:42pm
Ambivitreous

I have kind of a different focus for my newbie fear. We've spent a lot of time in the Studio at Corning over the past few months taking classes and renting torch time (plus I'm an engineering geek), so I'm pretty comfortable with the equipment. We're in the process of setting up our home studio, and right now, I am worried about some unseen complication that might be lurking the shadows, waiting to pounce on me as we go through the process of getting the natural gas supply pressure upped and the ventilation installed. So far, things have gone smoothly....maybe too smoothly.

Last edited by tenor_ringer; 2009-05-21 at 7:47pm.
Old 2009-05-22, 6:51am

I have everything and have had everything for a long time. I'm afraid I'll hook everything up wrong and blow my house up. I continue to be a lurker here. Glad I'm not the only one, it helps to know most everyone was afraid at one time.
Old 2009-05-22, 9:58am

I was afraid when I first setup my studio. I rented studio time for about a year before I was confident that I knew that I was 100% committed to making glass beads. When I rented studio time, I always had so many experts around, that I felt secure. I agonized for weeks how to set up the studio; paranoia at best. I ended up putting fire resistant wall board on top of my existing walls and I covered them with sheet metal, floor to ceiling. I also covered my complete table with sheet metal also. I installed two CO2/Gas alarms, one on the floor and the other on the ceiling and a smoke alarm directly above my work station, and if I forget to turn the fan on, it will go off within a few minuts of torching. I wasn't sure how to set up the digital kiln or the torch, but I ended up covering a smaller table with sheet metal and ceramic tile. I studied the instructions that Nortel gave me to program it. Thank goodness that Nortel was there to walk me through all of my installation questions.
Old 2009-05-25, 8:43pm
Debra Clutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
I was afraid I'd die before I try everything I want to try... that still scares me a little. Prolly my biggest fear now is losing my limbs and not being able to melt glass right up until I die.
OMG! I am glad I am not the only one that feels this way! There is never enough time to learn everything or try everything. I have thought about everything in your quote!
I usually am not afraid to try anything, but my Hubby helped get me set up and told me how to use the equipment. He is a handy guy. I was a fuser and stained glass artist for over 10 yrs, so glass, the kiln and even the torch didn't bother me.
I worry that I may never be as good as I would like to be.

#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-

Old 2009-05-28, 5:25pm

well im a beginner.
Im afraid of a few things
1. running out of glass before payday haha!
2. not getting very good - I was an apprentice until the guy went crazy and doesnt teach me anymore so Im doing this all on my own now. My guidance is these forums and the internet!
Old 2009-05-31, 8:36pm

I'm fairly new by most of your standards. Only been melting glass since Jan. 2007. (Thanks Chad) My big fear is burning myself, which I already have done. (touched my index finger against the tip of the torch while it was on and put the flame out!!!) The second bigest is jamming a piece of glass into my hand. Still have that one to look forward to.

Greg
Old 2009-06-03, 12:49pm

The torch! I made my father light it the first couple of times and then he insisted I learn how to do it myself. So for the first couple weeks I would stand as far away from the torch as possible and attempt to light it. Then I would get frustrated when it didn't light because I wasn't using the striker with enough force. I'm happy to say I'm much improved and usually light it on the first couple of tries now!
Old 2009-06-13, 3:53pm
Glassy Broad :-)

My biggest fear is running out of glass, and/or ideas.
I LOVE lighting my torch, I don't mind getting burned, (I have been a cook for a hundred years) I really don't mind the popping glass either. That has turned into a game for me, lets see if I can keep it from popping, nope? Oh well next time.
And a hint....you won't get hit by that flying glass if ya point the rod away from you...or at least I don't.
But my number one fear is, running out of glass. What if I get a huge order? all kinds of things pop into my head on that one, and oh yeah, not being good enough. That is a doozey isn't it?
Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2009-06-13, 4:02pm
Spitfire Girl

I was also afraid of my kiln. Finally, after weeks of staring at it, my husband turned it on in disgust and told me to deal with it. I'm nervous about programming it, but it's an awesome kiln!

So much glass, so little time!:lol:

Old 2009-07-09, 12:28am

Easy~ popping glass! I was a bit nervous lighting the torch, but now it's nothing but cool. I don't have my own set-up to burn/blow up the house, but I can see that one easily! The popping glass just makes me a nervous wreck- so even though I'm just starting, I can see I'm a Boro Girl already!
Old 2009-07-09, 2:54pm
Melting

I was, and still am, afraid of wasting glass (so I guess, beads coming out badly) because glass is expensive. On the same note, my first glass order was downright terrifying because I really had no idea what I was ordering.

Other than that, I was never afraid of anything having to do with lampworking, which is pretty weird, because normally I'm scared of everything!

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2009-07-10, 7:09am
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

the thought of posting pics of my learning-curve stuff when there are all these great galleries all over the place...man, if i could fast forward the skill level by 10-years without actually aging, that would be sweet.
Old 2009-07-10, 11:15am
Mary Lockwood

I voted in this thread months ago, and I voted 'lighting the torch the first time'.

My biggest fear now is blowing up. I do everything in my power to keep from blowing anyone to smithereens and still keep an eye on all my connections and hoses the whole time I'm working. Sometimes I will stop in the middle of a session and check for leaks. It's almost a compulsion.

~~Mary

Old 2009-08-26, 6:59pm

I'm little nervous about the kiln part. I am also not a that handy and figuring out the fittings etc. to hook my hothead to the 20lb tank outside is making me a little nervous. The actually torching and hot glass don't bother me since I do metal work and am pretty comfortable with that. But I was afraid of lighting the torch when I first started the metal.
Old 2009-08-29, 11:09pm
I'm listen-Oooh, sparkly!

I did enough soldering work with a propane torch in plumbing that the torch didn't make me nervous - The idea of flying hot glass, on the other hand, gives me the willies!

"Be the change you want to see in the world." Ghandi
Old 2009-08-30, 2:35am
He can do the origami

I was afraid to see the future credit card bills for the addiction that would be sure to follow

Otter
Old 2011-03-31, 4:10am

I was most afraid of an explosion! I really had to get past that initial lighting of the torch.

Visit me here:

Old 2011-03-31, 6:31am

Definitely burns. Pain sucks and I'm a wimp. Having used a welding torch for 20 years and doing a lot of machine shop work, the torch and hardware are no big deal, but I really hate cuts and burns.

IMO when doing dangerous things one has to develop a mental checklist for safety and always consider what unexpected thing could go wrong, and how you'll deal with it. It's important to try and separate irrational fears of things that are generally safe (at least if properly handled, like tanks), from real honest-to-goodness hazards that require constant vigilance to keep safe (like leaks and fires). Never let the mind wander or drop your guard. I'll machine parts with the radio on, but find I need way more concentration to torch, like zero distractions. Probably gets better with practice.

I have a light weight full face shield in medium green. They're often used for brazing and don't cost too much. They help the confidence level greatly if you think something might shatter or pop. Protect yourself!

Knight Bullet Burner
Tanks
mostly boro technical projects

"I'm sure I'm on a planet but I don't know if it's still earth."
Old 2011-03-31, 7:42am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroglasstic View Post
Nothing,I cant think of anything to be afraid of.
This

Maybe I was just too stupid but nothing scared me. I was just so excited with my new Mini CC and my glass. That was FUN!

Old 2011-03-31, 7:57am
Oinky Oink!

I am still afraid of somehow blowing or burning my face off. And also blowing my house up...
But other than that, it sure is fun!

Christy
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. ~Oscar Wilde
Old 2011-03-31, 10:09am
Sarah Jane's grandma

I was scared to death about lighting the torch and having it so close. I've always been a bit afraid of fire. LOL. My next biggest worry was about being burned. Well needless to say neither one of those fears lasted long. I was so enchanted with making beads that every day I could hardly wait to go in and light that torch! Getting burned....well recently I did get burned and had to still keep working on my bead because I wasn't willing to let it be wrecked. I dunked my fingers in water every little bit as I finished the bead. Then when the bead was perfect, and safe, I dealt with the nasty burn.

Old 2011-03-31, 12:42pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Refreshing to see this thread and know the fear is normal. I was afraid of lighting the torch but it was the gas that scared me. Even though I had taken 4 classes, when I picked up my first cannisters of mapp at Lowes my emotion went from excitement to terror that I would be rear ended, the car would blow up and my service dog Luna would die.
It took me for years 'til someone said, "Rowyn, they're not that volatile". I was in another class, I lit the match and now I can't stop!
the things we can twist in our heads, yikes.

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible

Last edited by 2tumblingdragonz; 2011-03-31 at 12:43pm. Reason: too many commas, I always do that
Old 2011-03-31, 2:09pm
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

I had "fear of Goldstone" - the first time I tried to make my own, I was sure that the chunks were little bombs waiting to happen. I dressed up like I was ready to go on night manuvers in a hazmat zone and stood as far away from the torch as possible while heating the chunk. I swear the chunk looked at me and shrugged - then proceeded to melt quietly and serenely into a perfect ball without even a "pitui" of spitting or sputtering. However, when I sat down to encase it - my normally docile clear exploded!! :} Not afraid of the golden copper anymore!!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2011-03-31, 7:20pm
Looking for my waistline

I was afraid of turning myself into this ---->

I got over it as the addiction grew stronger.
Old 2011-04-16, 6:14am

I was mostly afraid of burning the joint down!!!lol

Old 2011-04-16, 11:14pm

I bought my kit and then took about 6 months to work up the courage to light the torch. I was afraid I'd blow myself up.

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.