Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-05-01, 10:03am
formerly Marella

Default NS Jade....Love the Color, What Can I Say?

There's lots of info in the Boro Room about NS Jade and it's cracking problems when encased. I'm going to make a bracelet with my cracked Jade/Irid beads, and keep it all to myself, LOL.

So what do you do with it? Can one use it as a surface layer and roll it in frit...or does it get all crackly with frit too?

It's such a beautiful green...does anyone have pictures of some successful beads made with NS Jade?

...pardon the bead poop, I noticed the crack while I was cleaning them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~

Last edited by Gillianbeads; 2010-05-01 at 11:24am. Reason: added picture
Old 2010-05-01, 4:06pm

I love it too. It's great on the surface and I love it with silver creed and trans green. Here's a couple that I've done with that combo.

Old 2010-05-01, 4:17pm
formerly Marella

Those are just stunning Samma!!

...there's hope for my Jade...I'm so glad!

~
~
~
Old 2010-05-02, 12:13am
Harold Williams Cooney

jade = self ass punch

(and I use it often . . . . ^%$#ing jade)

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2010-05-02, 7:18am
formerly Marella

LOL, Harold...

...heading down to the torch now, to do some "self ass punching"

~
~
~
Old 2010-05-02, 2:46pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

I use it with dot patterns on the back of marbles. Color-wise I like it the best out of all the greens. I use it as the second or third dot in a stack.

Old 2010-05-02, 3:04pm
Type ZZZ personality

I don't know this for sure, but I've heard that if you use an oxidizing flame when you're encasing the green, it'll keep it from reducing and changing the COE. But I don't know this to be fact.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2010-05-04, 5:37am
Run Free Sweet Boy

greens in boro can be touchy.. period....

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2010-05-04, 8:31am

Ooh.. I love the jade and irrid. Twistie spacers are my favorite kinds of beads, although I find making them consistent sizes to be a challenge. I have jade but never really used it. Maybe I'll give it a whirl.

Old 2010-05-04, 10:25am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticstudio View Post
I don't know this for sure, but I've heard that if you use an oxidizing flame when you're encasing the green, it'll keep it from reducing and changing the COE. But I don't know this to be fact.
It helps, but it is still a hard color to use inside.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2010-05-04, 4:44pm
formerly Marella

Lovely colour...crackley, crackley...

...I'm starting to like the cracked look, LOL...

The focal bead has surface application only, and I didn't even see the crackling until I used my macro lens...left side

~
~
~
Old 2010-05-06, 6:58pm
Addicted to Glass.

Are you 100% sure you aren't getting ANY non COE 33 glass near your beads? 1 small piece of frit will cause you to chase cracks all day long.

I work off mandrel (So I don't know if it's even possible to put a bead back on a mandrel). But if it was a piece I really loved I would chase that crack away.

Reheat your piece in your kiln, then starting reaaaaly far out in the flame slowly bring it back in and heat it up until you get rid of your crack.

Old 2010-05-06, 7:21pm
formerly Marella

Nope, it's all COE33 when I'm working...positive.

With the focal bead, I did chase some cracks on the one side, and got rid of them, but the craze lines on the left showed up after the second time in the kiln...full annealing schedule, right from the torch to a hot kiln.

C'est la vie...

~
~
~
Old 2010-05-22, 12:29am
Piper.

i use it in iso prodo pipes all the time with no problems. i've stick-stacked it too. only true green i use consistantly. it's usually iso though so it's not *too* deeply encased, a few mm at most. i think i got a great batch though. zero bubbles.
Old 2010-05-22, 12:36pm
Harold Williams Cooney

^^^ I would love to say same, same but I can't; I think my issue is old frit. the stuff i have cracks pieces even when it is just on the surface . . . .

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2010-05-22, 5:04pm
formerly Marella

Mine is from a starter pack, and I'll bet it's the older formulation too.

I wonder how one can order the "fresh" stuff, and from who?

~
~
~
Old 2010-05-22, 6:25pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

You know, there is the smallest possibility that it is not
EXACTLY the right COE. It could be an off batch or something.

Personally, if I was going to be investing a lot of time making
a bead, it would kill me to have it crack. So I would just take
that batch of Jade you have and make lots of pretty spacers.
You can also make some flat spirals and other shapes too.
Or pull some into stringers, and make raised stringer designs
on the same color glass beads. I wouldn't take any more
chances on mixing it with other glass. It's just wasting it.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2010-05-22, 6:44pm
formerly Marella

Karen, those are really good suggestions, thanks!

I do hate putting the time into a bead and having it crack...spacers and discs it will be, LOL.

~
~
~
Old 2010-05-24, 7:12pm
Lampworker

try GA clover, doesnt crack like jade, its a little darker though.
Old 2010-05-24, 8:35pm
product of the universe

i have used multiple batches of clover and have had nothing but cracking in most applications. I have 4-5lbs of "first quality" sitting here just collecting dust. Personally I would stay away from the stuff.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2010-05-25, 8:09am

I use jade all the time, its my go to green, but for sculpture, so its not encased. I do think mine is an old batch at this point likely from a few years ago. I havent worked with recent batches. I just make sure to not let it sit in the kiln all day, i make the green ones at the end then anneal right away.
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2010-06-20, 7:08am
Living out Loud

Thanks everyone, I just bought some jade so now I know what to do and what not to do.

Old 2010-08-11, 1:16pm
Angie09

Wish I'd read this this morning!!! Just got brand new jade rods from Frantz and all the beads (I encased them) cracked!!! That'll teach me to use a new color and not do my research on LE!!!
Old 2010-08-12, 7:40am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

When decorating the back of a marble with dots and then swirls I frequently use jade as the last dot on a stack (first dot=caramel, second=light ruby, third=caramel, 4th=jade) Using it like this I have never had a problem and the jade looks great.