Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2011-02-13, 3:05pm

Default Curious about torchmakers & business

I find it interesting to look at various industries as a whole, and started thinking about torchmakers while waiting for my back-ordered torch. Surfing the 'net I find GTT(12), Nortel(4), National(3), Bethleham(4), Carlisle(eight), Knight(7), JPLampwork(4), Herbert Arnold(4) and Simax(1). The number after each is how many models seem to be available. I'm only listing and considering bench burners here, though I'm certainly aware of the HotHead, Exact torches, Grobet and various others.

Have I got 'em all, or are there even more out there I haven't stumbled across?

It's somewhat amazing to me that 9 companies can be supported, with something like a total of 47 different models of torch.

My experience is that many of the desirable torches are back-ordered, often by several months, so at least some of these companies are able to sell everything they can produce. That tells me there must be vastly more lampworkers out there than I ever would have dreamed possible.

So, does anybody know how about many lampworkers there are?

Best,
Conrad

P.S. I'm hoping I'm not too poor for this crowd, as some of those larger torches are heckfire expensive and I have sort of a box-wine size budget!
Old 2011-02-13, 3:32pm
Tweedle Dumb

There are a lot. And a lot of us have many torches. Some are also "made to order" which is why they appear to be back ordered. If you don't have torches sitting on a shelf, it cuts down on the overhead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click For My Latest Murrini!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2011-02-13, 3:54pm
Looking for my waistline

You also need to include people who make scientific glass products, neon sign makers and probably a lot more industries requiring torches than just lampworkers who make art glass objects. There are a ton of people who have use of a non-acetylene torch or arc welding equipment.
Old 2011-02-13, 9:28pm

Thanks! My take on this at the moment is that these are really good times for lampworkers. Though I think torches are expensive, it's also amazing how quickly the rest of the very necessary "stuff" adds up- regulators, hoses, flashback arresters and such, not to mention glass itself.

Best,
Conrad
Old 2011-02-14, 12:16am
I'm kinda biz-EE

I don't know if it's so much that these are really good times for lampworkers as it is about becoming completely addicted to melting glass once you've tried it.

Glass is the crack of the arts/crafts/hobby world IMHO.

Old 2011-03-15, 8:25pm
Sucks at being nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by alb6094 View Post
Glass is the crack of the arts/crafts/hobby world IMHO.
I love this! I may have to steal it for my siggy. (With your permission of course.)

Old 2011-03-18, 12:03am
I'm meeeeelting

As opposed to glitter which is the herpes of the craft world.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2011-03-18, 1:02am

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
As opposed to glitter which is the herpes of the craft world.
OMG! I almost choked; that was hilarious!!!