No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-07-21, 6:59am
Glass-aholic

Default Using floral cane:

So what's the best way to use pretty floral cane? Do you press into your dot as you lay it on your bead to make it fold over in itself they pull it down into a point, or just swish it down? I don't ever remember to play with it when I torch to figure this out LOL so how do you do it? All those pretty swishy flowers, and side view flowers... I haven't seen one I don't like yet!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-07-21, 9:24pm

I always pull to a point before pushing into the hot spot on the bead. Some you can even push in a little side ways to look more natural in a group of them.

This is only a floral stamen cane but it's the only picture I have. If you don't pull to a point first, it doesn't look right..

Kerry
Attached Images

Old 2012-07-23, 5:45am
Glass-aholic

Oh, thanks Kerry, your beads are lovely.

I was wondering about the simpler striped floral cane that is basically a striped stringer. It's like vine cane in flower colors, and makes pretty side view petals. Any info on that?

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2012-07-23 at 5:48am.
Old 2012-07-23, 7:33am

Are you referring to raised florals or encased florals? I use the striped vine cane for raised designs and encased also, but I'm not sure what you are thinking about.

Old 2012-07-23, 10:45am
Glass-aholic

Cynthia yes! I love the look, especially in a raised petal design

What are some different methods of applying this beautiful floral cane?

Old 2012-07-23, 3:56pm
I need more boro stuff

I have this book when I started lampworking. It shows you different methods how to ...
http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=1981

Old 2012-07-23, 4:20pm

Sorry Jaci, I immediately thought of encased florals… I had the book Yunita recommended & it was good.

Stunningly gorgeous beads Cynthia, so much detail.

Kerry
Old 2012-07-24, 7:49am

Here is what I do. I heat up the cane so it balls up a tiny bit and lay it down onto the bead in a downward swipe. The balled up end of the rod will lay down as if the petal is bent under a bit at the top if that makes sense. I lay a row of them, usually an odd number like three or five petals all coming down to a point. Don't worry that they are building up at the point part. Next, lay another layer over the first, slightly below the tops of the first petals and in between them. Keep on going until you have like one or two petals on the top left.

Heat the whole flower very well but gently as to not melt it completely together, then grab the bottom where they all come to the point and pull off all of the excess glass in a downward pull. You should end up with a very thin point and the flower should be finer looking and not bulky. Then lastly I add leaf can to cover the bottom point in the same way. Make the first leaf like a petal and the second one should drag all of the way down to the bottom forming the stem.

Get it? Come over and I can show you LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
Cynthia yes! I love the look, especially in a raised petal design

What are some different methods of applying this beautiful floral cane?

Old 2012-07-24, 7:49am

Thank you Kerry

Old 2012-07-24, 11:55am

If you push the balled-up cane "up" when you start your petal, then swipe down to the base of the flower, the petal will be wider at the top, and the stripes will spread out a bit.

Great tip about pulling off the excess glass at the flower base!
Old 2012-07-25, 7:09am
Glass-aholic

Cynthia and Steiconi that makes perfect sense thanks!
Yunita thanks for the suggestion

Cynthia I would come see you if you were not Like the farthest point on the opposite coast from me that would be FUN!

Old 2020-12-10, 6:52pm

Does anyone know what book Yunita and Kerry were referring to, that was helpful in regards to using striped floral cane? I am trying to figure out how to get the many beautiful colors some beadmakers achieve.
Old 2020-12-12, 3:34pm

Hello--I don't know the book being referenced, but there is this guide Corina made, on how to get gorgeously colored floral cane:

http://www.corinabeads.com/pages/purpleandpink.php
Old 2020-12-28, 8:54pm
dances with ideas...

Gosh, I can’t get that linked page to load either. I believe that Jacqueline Parkes (Parks?) has a tutorial available.

Old 2021-02-22, 8:23pm

I have recently re-found my Jim Kervin book on Leah Fairbanks, (a master of floral beads), which goes into a lot of detail about her floral and leaf cane, and their application. Also, in the Dec 2015 issue of Soda Lime Times, Corina has a great article on petals, with many variations. And my Jacqueline Parker’s tutorials are wonderful! Would love to hear if anyone else has a good resource!