TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2022-08-27, 8:26am

Default lynx Concentrator Question

Looking at the GTT Lynx and am looking for advice on a good concentrator for this torch.
Old 2022-08-29, 7:12am

My Bobcat requires 15lpm of 6psi concentrators (direct, no HVLP) to run full flame. Those same concentrators could be paired with an HVLP system to run the Lynx and possibly a Phantom in the future.
If you wanna run just a concentrator, you'll need about 10lpm at 15psi for the Lynx. Maybe an Airsep10 or OG20, both run 10lpm up to 20psi. I've got an OG20 I'd part with if you're interested.
Old 2022-08-29, 7:27am

I think it is hard to maximize a Lynx on one concentrator. I use an M20 with one, and while it is decent, it is not all that much above the Bobcat or Alpha on the same concentrator. It just seems like a waste of the capabilities of the torch to me. It could also be that it's a crappy concentrator though. Hard to say.
Old 2022-08-29, 11:46am

I would recommend buying an oxygen purity meter if you go the route of concentrators. All my concentrators run above 94.7% pure and that has a lot to do with their performance. Just dropping to 92% which is around where most oxycons operate, you lose considerable heat.

Just for reference, my Bobcat can make 2" marbles without too much trouble on 15lpm. I also make cups and pull murrine sometimes. Not quite the same on 10lpm since that last 5 makes a big difference. My Lynx (Phantom center) can do it all as well but needs closer to 25lpm at 6psi so I bought the OG20 and ran 10lpm at 15psi which was slightly hotter. In the end, I went HVLP so I can run my Phantom outer too.
Old 2022-08-31, 12:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktscientist View Post
My Bobcat requires 15lpm of 6psi concentrators (direct, no HVLP) to run full flame. Those same concentrators could be paired with an HVLP system to run the Lynx and possibly a Phantom in the future.
If you wanna run just a concentrator, you'll need about 10lpm at 15psi for the Lynx. Maybe an Airsep10 or OG20, both run 10lpm up to 20psi. I've got an OG20 I'd part with if you're interested.
Thank you. I think I'm going to run off of tanked O2 for awhile but if you want to pm me about the OG20 I'd be interested in knowing more about it.
Old 2023-04-03, 9:52pm

I thought I would add, I'm another newbie with a lynx. For me I was truly amazed at how much boro the torch could melt even running on 2 lpm of medical oxygen from a tank.... However I was fortunate enough to catch an Invacare Homefill II system (5 lpm concentrator plus a compressor to fill tanks) for sale for $1150 CDN right around when I got my torch. This combo is working great.. I fill a K tank to 1000 - 1500 psi which takes about full day running the system. I try to be smart and not run huge driving flames unless I need them and generally use about 200 - 500 psi from the tank in a typical day of 2 - 5 hours at the torch. I can also successfully run directly off the 5 lpm concentrator for small items.

There was some initial investment for the high pressure "whip" to fill the tank, but at $70 a tank fill I am saving money almost right away with this situation and I have the ability to run the torch at max if I need to. The concentrator has about 15,000 hrs on it, but the compressor only had 56 hours when I bought it so I exprect them to last a while....If the compressor totally dies on me and is too expensive to fix I will look at getting a 10lpm concentrator. It seems pretty unsustainable to pay for compressed oxygen fills.... Does anyone here buy dewar's or liquid O2? I'd be curious how long they last and what the cost is.