Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2018-07-27, 6:47pm

Susan i noticed you use a white base in a lot of your boro - can you tell me which white you use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2018-07-27, 6:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadz Gone Wild View Post
Susan i noticed you use a white base in a lot of your boro - can you tell me which white you use.
sure. I love Roger Paramore's (New Color Company) white. Really smooth, and I haven't had any issues with it. I'd be happy to send you a bit to try if you'd like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2018-07-27, 6:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
No, where can I see the octo? And are your knobs *still* in the kiln?

I've been playing with wood grain. Not so sure about them yet and I'm lusting for a sandblaster. A couple are sanded by hand to cut the shine.
I missed this, and Laura's knob post! Those knobs must have had some crazy long annealing cycle...

Love the wood grain look!! Those are cool.

ETA can boro be etched? Would that work in lieu of the sandblasting, or different effect?

Old 2018-07-27, 7:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson River Glass View Post
I missed this, and Laura's knob post! Those knobs must have had some crazy long annealing cycle...

Love the wood grain look!! Those are cool.

ETA can boro be etched? Would that work in lieu of the sandblasting, or different effect?
Thanks! No, it can't be etched. Not with the stuff that we can get our hands on anyway. I'm not sure if the stronger ones would work, besides too dangerous.

Old 2018-07-28, 6:34am

I've tumble etched boro but it takes ... forever. Like I left it running 24/7 for a week!!

Old 2018-07-28, 7:32am
Loving learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson River Glass View Post
sure. I love Roger Paramore's (New Color Company) white. Really smooth, and I haven't had any issues with it. I'd be happy to send you a bit to try if you'd like.

I am looking at it on ABR, but if I have to pay shipping anyway, are there any other colors you love? I saw the sample pack, but don't know enough about boro yet to figure out if I should do that or just order a few colors to try.
Old 2018-07-28, 10:59am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I am looking at it on ABR, but if I have to pay shipping anyway, are there any other colors you love? I saw the sample pack, but don't know enough about boro yet to figure out if I should do that or just order a few colors to try.
Simax clear in several sizes. ABR has it on sale right now at 30% off. Simax is the Zephyr of the boro world in my opinion. Other clears are good but Simax plays best with silver fuming and striking reactions.

As far as color recommendation ... what fascinates you with boro?? I'm into the ethereal color qualities and making beads and pendents (some paperweights).

What to start with depends if you are looking to do sculptural, beads, functional art, etc.

I personally started out with Momka's 5" solid color sample set and clear, black and white and several frit blends and have built from there.

Parramore glass is really nice but it is all wysiwyg. I can do wysiwyg in soft with less money and oxygen. LOL But that's just me!! I do use it as bases to build on because it doesn't have cracking issues with being next to the mandrel.

Old 2018-07-28, 11:00am

Oh and Christmas is coming so if you want to do boro icicles ... now is the time to stock up on triangle, iris, and capillary rod for twisting into fancy icicles!!

Old 2018-07-28, 11:05am

Default TAG Sparkle Black Knob Attempts

Slow but as promised. I've been making some test knobs.

I'm using NS Opaline, TAG Exp. Sparkle Black and GG Bonanza (silver sparke glass). The swirly ones are the only ones I kinda like so far. Going to swap to Sparkle Black with Bonanza frit and see if I can get a nicer effect.

The single knob (permanently fused to the mandrel) was an attempt to use Sparkle Black and Bonanza into a pinwheel pattern. Haven't mastered the heat and twist and the colors aren't contrasting enough.
Attached Images

Old 2018-07-28, 12:19pm
Loving learning

Thanks for all the info! I do have some various colors, both marked and unmarked, but none of that particular line. I thought the peach and periwinkle were both pretty. I was thinking for flowers, etc. in marbles. I wasn't sure if they were going to be the colors as shown once through the flame and annealing or not. And I know greens are sometimes finicky, but not which are better at playing nice.

I will check out some of the things you mentioned though, like clear, who can have enough clear?

First order of business is to put on my big girl panties and hook up the "new to me" Hellcat so a marble will be faster than on the Mega Minor. I was hoping that I could hook up the inner flame to a concentrator for small stuff, and switch to tanked when I want to do marbles, and I'm slowing sneaking up on that, LOL!
Old 2018-07-29, 6:50am

Ron Bearer's implosion tutorial has a bunch of great color combinations and techniques for flowers!!!

Yes green, and in particular sparkly green can be a bugger encased. Momka's Brown Glitter also like to check (crackle) when encased.

Old 2018-07-29, 8:31am

Eileen, Rashan Jones uses a lot of Parramore colors in his work. They also carry it at Mountain Glass Arts. I have trouble finding Rashan's stuff other than on Facebook or Pinterest. His website seems a bit neglected, lol.
Old 2018-07-29, 2:05pm

I have been able to etch boro with armor etch. Some colors better than others. It does take a while. I usually let it sit overnight and check it.

Old 2018-08-05, 12:58pm

I find trying to etch boro terribly tedious, sand blasting is my preferred method of etching boro.
Old 2018-08-06, 5:44am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaper View Post
I find trying to etch boro terribly tedious, sand blasting is my preferred method of etching boro.
My dream ... a sand blasting cabinet and a laser etcher to design and cut my own masks.

Old 2018-08-07, 5:30pm

It's been a little while since I've been on here. I was surprised to see my account is still active. I hope to see some familiar faces and look forward to meeting new people.

I've been on my torch regularly for the last few months after a few years off. I'm really enjoying it and putting more effort in techniques I've always wanted to be better at.

Here's two pendants I recently made. Implosions are my favorite thing to make and I feel like I'm making progress with them. Feel free to critique.

Old 2018-08-08, 9:26pm

Very nice pendys there. I'm amazed at how much you can pack into such a small space.
Old 2018-08-08, 10:01pm

Thanks Shaper. I've been working on my tubing implosions lately.
Old 2018-08-09, 9:29am

Love those! I am just getting started with boro, and aspire to those implosions in marbles. Some day maybe.
Old 2018-08-09, 10:15am

Awesoem Retti pendant ... the coral reef is really nice too.

On my practice list ... tube implosions. Bought Bashi Ale's trifecta of tutorials. His technique is a little different and maybe something I can start with and pull off because I suck and pulling points.

Old 2018-08-09, 3:03pm

Love the reef pendant!!

Old 2018-08-10, 7:52am
Slogan Challenged...

I love the reef pendant so much, and the first is a great design. Nice job! You should post more often, we love to see what everyone has been up to, especially the boro folks. They seem a bit shy

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2018-08-11, 5:01am
DaveK

Not really glass... but cold-working, maybe? LOL. I moved all my faceting stuff into the air conditioning in the 100+ degree days. I finally finished this faceting project. I picked it back up after a four year hiatus. Not exactly like riding a bike.

You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2018-08-11, 5:13am

Wow ... beautiful job on the faceting. Love how it catches the light.

Old 2018-08-11, 5:35am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieGlass View Post
Wow ... beautiful job on the faceting. Love how it catches the light.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2018-08-12, 10:16am
Slogan Challenged...

what a job that was, so tiny. I don't know how anyone does that. Muscle memory, counting off, diagrams...pretty!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2018-08-13, 6:49am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
what a job that was, so tiny. I don't know how anyone does that. Muscle memory, counting off, diagrams...pretty!
It’s actually easier than it looks. It takes patience and consistency. The facet designs spell out all the angles. Thanks to my father-in-law he left me a $4K faceting machine when he passed. Otherwise, I never would have gotten into it. The whole day he spent showing me how to do it helped too.

As an artist I have a little bit of ambivalence doing something a machine can do better but you get a lot of “bang” for your time spent. In high-end lampworking, the masters do highly geometric or “flawless” work. They seem to strive to be machine-like in their work. What the collectors and judges seem to value. Coming from an graphic arts background I value art a machine CAN’T do.
You can call me Dave 🎨

Last edited by KA; 2018-08-13 at 7:01am.
Old 2018-08-25, 5:54pm

Come on folks ... show your pretties.

Here is a recent set of mine. Using a color recipe from Sandy Seamen with some glitter for extra bling!!
Attached Images

Old 2018-08-25, 6:08pm
Loving learning

I love looking at this thread! I still haven't hooked up to the bigger torch and the oxygen tank. Does the oxygen leak out like from tires? If so I probably need a refill!
Old 2018-08-26, 3:19am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieGlass View Post
Come on folks ... show your pretties.

Here is a recent set of mine. Using a color recipe from Sandy Seamen with some glitter for extra bling!!

Beautiful!
You can call me Dave 🎨