65 yrs 1 0.38%
70 yrs 1 0.38%
75 yrs 5 1.92%
80 yrs 7 2.68%
6 feet under 245 93.87%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-01-26, 5:59pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Let's see, before the flood people lived to be 900, so we are just Spring Chickens at 90 if you take that into perspective!
Old 2011-01-27, 10:17am

Until I can't anymore. I am in my early forties and am hoping for at least another forty years lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-27, 5:40pm

I'll join you in your dream Sharon ... ha ha!

Old 2011-01-28, 10:23pm

Until I can only afford one oxygen concentrator and I need it to breathe!
Old 2011-01-29, 12:19am

Default Too old???

I have an 80 year old student who has fused glass for years, and is doing a fantastic job making beads. I'm only 54, she inspires me so much!!!
Old 2011-01-29, 2:49am
picking Job's Tears

Given that I bought my first hothead when I was 52, you can guess the rest
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2011-01-29, 5:59am
Eugene, Oregon

My Mother is Water Color Artist, still going strong. When the hand started shaking she just incorporated it in to her "New Style" Her work is beautiful now and always.
Blessings.

Cheers from Nancy Gant
Old 2011-01-29, 12:52pm
tweetysweetie

I like the 6ft under too! lol I'm over 60 and will continue until my eyes/hands fail me, however, I'll be on the look out for my beads/work to start resembling things like I was making after only a day or two on a torch....that would be an excellent indicator of time to shut the flame off. But then again? if my eyes are failing me? I won't know the difference..is that a win-win or a lose-lose situtation?

Old 2011-01-30, 5:15pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Parkinson View Post
when YOU don't feel safe any more apart from that 6 feet under
ditto
Old 2011-01-31, 1:06am

Default GASP!

The instruction book that came with my new oxycon says

"Do not operate if no body breathing."

KMD
Old 2011-01-31, 1:46am
lissette

I really think you're to old when you sitting at you're torch about a half hour,
wite you're doll in you're hand and says pretty thing i made ha .Then its really really time to quit

no torching has no age when you feeling good and you have fun,then burn
Old 2011-01-31, 5:54am
Eugene, Oregon

KMD..
That is so flippin funny. I guess that would be the time... when no body is breathing... LOL
Thanks for the laugh.

Cheers from Nancy Gant
Old 2011-01-31, 9:26pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonP View Post
When my eyes start to go and my hands start to shake, I'll start calling my designs 'Artisan' and will totally go with the Funky Look!

I've probably mentioned this before, but I have a Dream - the Senior Beadmakers Retirement Home.

Where every day super-hunky guys without shirts wheel us in to our torches and we melt glass & create, and the public comes in droves to sit in the bleacher seating and look at the giant screens and marvel at our Amaze-osity and buy every stinkin' thing we make.

And when we're done, the Boys Without Shirts wheel us to chef-cooked dinner, and after dinner we have a whoopin' good time in the bar.

Just a dream... unless we all want to start a fund to make it happen? Hmmmmmmmmmm????

*s*
I'm in!! Sounds great to me.

Old 2011-02-01, 5:15am
BeadsonCypress

You are kidding, right????

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2011-02-01, 5:32am
Help i am on fire

i have shaky hands so i figure that will do me in, but i will fight hard before i give up.
Old 2011-02-01, 10:27pm

I say for as long as you love it, or in my case I am going down and making two beads a day and then soaking my arm in hot water (long story on the dot thread, I'll spare ya)! As long as I can make ONE bead then I won't care that I am not down there for 5 hours. This question is really hitting home with me not because of age but health.

Old 2011-02-01, 10:40pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bead-meltdown View Post
i have shaky hands so i figure that will do me in, but i will fight hard before i give up.
Nah... that's just when you switch to organics!

Old 2011-02-03, 6:52pm

One of my very good friends started making beads when she was 82 and she only makes dichroic beads!!! She is amazing and so are her beads.
Old 2011-02-08, 2:42am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonP View Post
When my eyes start to go and my hands start to shake, I'll start calling my designs 'Artisan' and will totally go with the Funky Look!

I've probably mentioned this before, but I have a Dream - the Senior Beadmakers Retirement Home.

Where every day super-hunky guys without shirts wheel us in to our torches and we melt glass & create, and the public comes in droves to sit in the bleacher seating and look at the giant screens and marvel at our Amaze-osity and buy every stinkin' thing we make.

And when we're done, the Boys Without Shirts wheel us to chef-cooked dinner, and after dinner we have a whoopin' good time in the bar.

Just a dream... unless we all want to start a fund to make it happen? Hmmmmmmmmmm????

*s*
Now THAT is my idea of retirement. Let me know when you open the home Sharon, I'll be there to sign up.

Lynx, Midrange, Scorpion Regalia Oxycon
Old 2014-07-24, 9:00am
hyperT

Default Old?

I'm 70 yrs old now. I started my apprenticeship in the family at the age of 9. The first thing I ever made artistically was an elephant. I often wish I had kept track of how many I've made over the years. They still remain a popular item.

I figure another 60 yrs of so I will get pretty good at it.

I will probably die at the lamp, but what a waste of fuel.

Last edited by hyperT; 2014-07-24 at 9:08am.
Old 2014-07-24, 9:26am

We'll, I am 86 and my answer is not yet. I did give up horseback riding, though. Carole
Old 2014-07-24, 10:17am
Shop Gnome to Earth & Sky

I would think that untill I am no longer safe with the molten glass or torch flame, I'll be ok.
Old 2014-07-25, 3:53am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistic License View Post
Now THAT is my idea of retirement. Let me know when you open the home Sharon, I'll be there to sign up.
Me too! Since I don't have kids to "take care of me", I always thought I'd "adopt" me a pool boy, but hunky bead boys sound just as good.
Old 2014-07-30, 8:05am

When you start participating in moronic polls.
Old 2014-08-06, 6:45am
addicted to dichro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperT View Post
I'm 70 yrs old now. I started my apprenticeship in the family at the age of 9. The first thing I ever made artistically was an elephant. I often wish I had kept track of how many I've made over the years. They still remain a popular item.

I figure another 60 yrs of so I will get pretty good at it.

I will probably die at the lamp, but what a waste of fuel.

Love this! I started at 15, I'm hoping my eyes and lungs hold out as long as I do, I've been told by some that with all the proper safety precautions just because of the nature of glass work that they won't. Hopefully that's not true.

Old 2014-08-06, 7:23am
hyperT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyjw View Post
Love this! I started at 15, I'm hoping my eyes and lungs hold out as long as I do, I've been told by some that with all the proper safety precautions just because of the nature of glass work that they won't. Hopefully that's not true.
I think it would depend on the individual. My uncle worked well into his 80's, when he just decided to quit.
The guy never wore didymium glasses and said the bright sodium yellow flare off is a natural color your eyes can handle, and he was one of the best scientific glass blowers in the world. Go figure, I wear them. I like to see what I'm doing.
Old 2014-08-08, 6:03am
SCIENCE Teacher!

I vote for "if can't see where the flame is"
Old 2014-08-08, 9:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonibird View Post
And remember, 60 ain't what it used to be! Really!
Yip, we are the new generation that didn't grow up. 60 is now the mind set of a 30 year old, especially in my case. I had a major wreck when hit by car while riding bicycle last year and it to me 6 months to learn to make beads again with 30% use of one arm now, and I have no reason to quit yet, and I'll be 57 this fall.

_
Old 2014-08-08, 9:38am

Quote:
Originally Posted by carole View Post
We'll, I am 86 and my answer is not yet. I did give up horseback riding, though. Carole
I think I am in love, 86, wow.

_
Old 2014-08-08, 5:36pm

My mum is 93 and a huge inspiration for her 8 children. I'm second youngest. She still does beading, embroidery, fantastic cards every single day. If I'm still playing with glass at that age I'll be absolutely ecstatic! 86 Carole? You GO girl!!
Caitie