No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-09-15, 6:11pm
Unmedicated since '62

Default cim tuxedo

is cim tuxedo the same as intense black or just another version of ordinary black (aka very dark purple)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-09-15, 6:26pm
I like to melt things

CiM Tuxedo is 'ordinary black' but it is grey-based instead of blue or purple like the Italian blacks.

Hades is reported to be more like Intense Black, and is pretty cool with silver glass, too.

-
-
Old 2010-09-15, 6:31pm
Unmedicated since '62

ta

Old 2010-09-15, 6:44pm
Entropy increasing....

I use Tuxedo exclusively as my black now and Peace as my white.
Old 2010-09-15, 6:46pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
yeah, i love peace white so i thought i'd try tuxedo

Old 2010-09-15, 7:19pm
Cat Winx

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
Is there a reason you use Tuxedo instead of Hades (given the description of it earlier as a more intense black) Kevan?

~Rachel

Old 2010-09-15, 7:53pm

When I thinned it out it is actually navy blue while Hades is black.
Old 2010-09-15, 7:54pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB23 View Post
Is there a reason you use Tuxedo instead of Hades (given the description of it earlier as a more intense black) Kevan?

~Rachel
is hades dearer?

(going to check)

ah, twice the price

Last edited by PerfectDeb; 2010-09-15 at 7:59pm.
Old 2010-09-15, 8:02pm
Cat Winx

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
is hades dearer?

(going to check)

ah, twice the price
Ah HA! (thanks Deb.. ;} ..having a "duh" moment here..

~Rachel

Old 2010-09-15, 8:14pm
Unmedicated since '62

still cheaper than moretti intense black though

Old 2010-09-15, 9:00pm

I only use tuxedo for black now because there is none of the bleeding with white. if overheated it does tend to start the webbing like intense but more yellowy. I just back off and make sure its all crisp, no webbing. very interesting that it is navy blue. i might have to give peace a whirl, what is the difference, is it stiffer like most cim glass? that i might love a lot
steph

Old 2010-09-15, 9:12pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph1214 View Post
I only use tuxedo for black now because there is none of the bleeding with white. if overheated it does tend to start the webbing like intense but more yellowy. I just back off and make sure its all crisp, no webbing. very interesting that it is navy blue. i might have to give peace a whirl, what is the difference, is it stiffer like most cim glass? that i might love a lot
steph
yep, much stiffer, i love it

i was using it as a base for murrini this week and it was a dream to work with, wayyyy easier to handle

the unheated rod is really pretty too, pearly (not that that counts, but i like admiring glass)

Old 2010-09-15, 9:16pm
Lampworkaholic!

Hades is reactive with silver glass, while Tuxedo is a stable transparent true black. Tuxedo is my go-to black - very reliable, unlike recent batches of Effetre and Vetro black.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-09-15, 10:32pm
Cat Winx

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
Hades is reactive with silver glass, while Tuxedo is a stable transparent true black. Tuxedo is my go-to black - very reliable, unlike recent batches of Effetre and Vetro black.
And another ah HAH!
I wasn't sure (because as a newbie I haven't tried the silver glasses yet) ..but I wondered from something Kevan said (it was Kevan.. right? "cool reactions w/silver glasses"?) ..that could be a drawback if you want a nice clean line of black somewhere... *
*(I'm havin' a proud moment ;}