60 yrs 2 0.77%
65 yrs 1 0.38%
70 yrs 1 0.38%
75 yrs 5 1.92%
80 yrs 7 2.68%
6 feet under 245 93.87%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-01-25, 3:33pm

Default When are you to Old to make Beads?

I love beading so much, but I know someday I will be to old to make them. But, when will that be?
My 6 year old granddaughter wants me to teach her but she is way to young, it would make me so nervous to have her behind the torch yet.
Since being in my 60's now, I begin to wonder how old will I be when I can't bead anymore.
Whats your take on this???
Old 2011-01-25, 3:52pm
offically down under

My answer would be when your body fails and the hurt exceeds the fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-25, 3:53pm
hi ho hi ho its off to ..

when YOU don't feel safe any more apart from that 6 feet under

People who call me weird think I should take it personally. if you really want to upset me you should call me normal !!!

on

Old 2011-01-25, 4:05pm
It's all about the color.

I quit for a few years because I had tremors so bad it wasn't safe for me to torch. As soon as I got those under control, I was right back at it.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2011-01-25, 4:09pm
beads....mmmm

I think you're good to go as long as you are physically able. Why stop for age?

::
Old 2011-01-25, 5:04pm
Formerly FishBulb

I'll torch for as long as I can see and coordinate a mandrel and glass.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2011-01-25, 5:05pm

It all sounds Great!! Especially the poll when I clicked on the results....lol its 100% six feet under!
Thanks for the feedback, I feel so much better now
Old 2011-01-25, 5:09pm
no more

3 Letters. E.M.S!
Electric Mandrel Spinner --> GO GO GO!

Old 2011-01-25, 5:45pm
Ellen Altamore

Location: southwest MI; north of Kalamazoo, south of Grand Rapids

My mom started making beads when she was 76. She stopped when she was 81 only because she moved from her house into an apartment.

ellenalive.blogspot.com
Old 2011-01-25, 6:06pm

I vote for NEVER. As long as your in good health, you can do anything you want. It would be a hard if your six feet under.

Old 2011-01-25, 6:48pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I'll never quit. Grandma Moses is what I strive for. I want to be in my 90's taking classes and living it up.

They'll get my torch when they pry it from my cold dead hands!

Old 2011-01-25, 6:58pm
It's about having fun!

And remember, 60 ain't what it used to be! Really!
Old 2011-01-25, 7:02pm
Rose colored glasses…√

When I regularly catch my hair on fire. I figure by the time I quit playing with molten glass and a torch I'm not going to have much hair, so what I will have will be quite precious to me.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2011-01-25, 7:21pm
Happiness is....

Ha Ha I thought it read, When are you too old to make BEDS. I was slightly confused for a bit. lmao!!

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2011-01-25, 7:23pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisdaka View Post
When are you too old to make BEDS.
As soon as your Mom gives up and quits trying to make you...

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2011-01-25, 8:22pm
Hat or Cake?

You've got lots of time left and your granddaughter will have to wait only a few years. I taught my grandson when he was 13. He was co-ordinated, aware of the flame but not frightened and he loved melting glass. We thought he might continue, but high school, football and girls seem to have entered the picture...
Beth
Old 2011-01-25, 9:13pm

When my eyes and hands fail. My mom is now 84 and she still knits all the time. Never let the brain stop! Always learn, always try something new. Keeps us young

Old 2011-01-25, 11:01pm
Unmedicated since '62

my dad decided one day he was going to be dead in a few years so he'd organise his affairs, he was a keen carpenter and he sold off all his tools, he gave away all his model aeroplanes and took to sitting all day in front of the idiot box - he held on for another 14 years!! what a waste

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-01-25, 11:19pm

When my face falls in the torch. Dicrodi
Old 2011-01-25, 11:50pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

When it becomes too dangerous to do so. A long as I still have eyes and coordination, I'm gonna torch!

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2011-01-26, 12:05am

I am starting to have trouble with dry eye and corneal abrasions when I torch for too long. And it doesn't get better. But I am not gonnna tell you how old I am!!!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2011-01-26, 4:19am
Learning Every Day

As long as I am physically and mentally able.I plan for it to be a long time yet. I came to this craft late in life to begin with and there is still SO much to learn!

Jenni

Old 2011-01-26, 5:35am

As long as I can do it safely. I'm almost 60 and expect to do it for a long time

Old 2011-01-26, 6:24am
Queen Tut ;)

You're never too old to do anything, as long as your body agrees with you. I have such bad eye sight that I worry my eyes will go long before I get "old". I wonder...can you torch without seeing? Might be a tad dangerous me thinks.

Old 2011-01-26, 6:30am
Mary Lockwood

I voted for 6' under.

What the heck else am I gonna do all day when I'm 94?

~~Mary

edited to add:

I do see myself switching from my saddle stool to something a bit easier on the dismount though. Bwahahahaha

Old 2011-01-26, 6:46am
Run Free Sweet Boy

I have taught newbies in their 80s. The man I apprenticed under blew glass until the day he died in his mid 90s. Keep on turnin' and burnin'

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2011-01-26, 9:36am

Everyone has such a good out look! I'm so happy, because I really don't want to stop beading till I'm 6 feet under! lol
Thanks everyone for your humor and honesty....
Old 2011-01-26, 10:13am
Flame Dames Rule!

When my eyes start to go and my hands start to shake, I'll start calling my designs 'Artisan' and will totally go with the Funky Look!

I've probably mentioned this before, but I have a Dream - the Senior Beadmakers Retirement Home.

Where every day super-hunky guys without shirts wheel us in to our torches and we melt glass & create, and the public comes in droves to sit in the bleacher seating and look at the giant screens and marvel at our Amaze-osity and buy every stinkin' thing we make.

And when we're done, the Boys Without Shirts wheel us to chef-cooked dinner, and after dinner we have a whoopin' good time in the bar.

Just a dream... unless we all want to start a fund to make it happen? Hmmmmmmmmmm????

*s*

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2011-01-26, 11:09am

The only choice is 6 feet under-unless we could figure out a good ventilation system

I have crafted for all my life-much of it in glass. Unless I'M a safety hazard, it becomes painful for some reason, or I lose interest or find a new love, I don't see stopping. I can switch between fusing, beads and stained glass so hopefully I can do at least one of them as I "mature."

Old 2011-01-26, 11:46am
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I voted for 6' under.

What the heck else am I gonna do all day when I'm 94?

~~Mary
Hopefully you will be marveling at all the treasures that you have made throughout the years Mary!