Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-24, 8:51am

Default Trouble encasing "purple (CIM) colors?

Not a "clear" issue...it's just the purples...eggplant for example. Using it with a puffy press....cracks right down along the mandrel line. Compatability? It's only happing with those colors! Yikes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-02-24, 12:20pm
dances with ideas...

What is the base glass and what is the encasing layer?

Old 2011-02-24, 2:26pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Cracks down the mandrel line are almost always thermal cracks.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2011-02-24, 3:01pm

The base was CIM Eggplant, encased with Effetre/Moretti Super Clear...I also tried the same thing with Simple Berry (CIM). Both cracked pretty quick...right down the mandrel line.

I've been playing around trying to figure this out. I tried using Effetre/Moretti Violet as the base with a skinny layer of CIM Eggplant and then encased with Moretti Super Clear. Well, that seems to have worked. Made it at 7am.....out the kiln @ 1pm and I'm watching it like a hawk!!!!! So far so good. I'll keep watching them and say a prayer every time I approach!

I thought thermal crack too, but I kept those beads SMOKIN!!!! I couldn't have kept it any hotter.... ugh!

Old 2011-02-24, 3:05pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribeads View Post
Cracks down the mandrel line are almost always thermal cracks.
Yep, but when Diamond Clear's first compatibility problem cropped up a few years ago, it was this same straight down the mandrel line cracks that were happening. Turns out it actually was compatibility. It sucks too, because it was almost a RULE that it was thermal in that case

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-02-24, 4:58pm

And I also had a recent issue with an old batch I had of rubino that cracked down the mandrel line on some hearts I had been making. I also made black encased hearts and as it happens a CIM simply berry heart - that did not crack. I've been testing rubino replacements since (even made a rare blog post about it)!

I haven't tried encasing the eggplant.

I think compatibility cracks will sometimes crack along the line of least resistance - often the mandrel line on beads that have been pressed (the thinnest place?) ... mine was down the line where I had used the razor tool to cut the center of the heart (same idea as thinnest at that point).

Old 2011-02-24, 6:09pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

I have had a similar problem with all the CiM blues too. I love the CiM colors but as a rile I just don't encase them for that very (heartbreaking) reason. I favor lauscha reformuated so that might not help you there...sorry for your loss!
Cara

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-02-24, 7:21pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Yep, but when Diamond Clear's first compatibility problem cropped up a few years ago, it was this same straight down the mandrel line cracks that were happening. Turns out it actually was compatibility. It sucks too, because it was almost a RULE that it was thermal in that case
Oh poop.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2011-02-24, 7:56pm

I would try a more conservative annealing schedule or maybe a higher annealing temp. Usually with Lauscha when we bump up to 980 cracking issues end.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2011-02-24, 8:14pm

I had problems back when neo lavender came out from bullseye. I found that they had to be put into the kiln warmer than the moretti. Since then, no issues, although I can't say I've tried specifically encasing the cim purples.

Mary
Old 2011-02-24, 8:25pm

I had a problem encasing kryptonite! Hey, hey Paulaaaa, I had my temp at 980 since I use some lauscha and it still cracked. Go figure, maybe it was just that once, I never tried it again! Ha ha, I move on pretty quickly! GAD (glass attention deficit)!

Old 2011-02-25, 12:15am
To bead Yeah! ;)

CIM Hefalump Does not like encasing!

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
HOLLOW BEAD, 3D SQUARES for hollow beads, Rose Murrini and Multi Murrini tut, JETZT alle in DEUTSCH erhältlich!
Old 2011-02-25, 6:18am

Well, my test bead....Effetre/Moretti base topped with a thin coating of Eggplant...and encased with Moretti Super Clear LIVES!!!!! YAY! No more encasing CIM's for me....((

Old 2011-02-25, 6:42am

I have the same problem with CIM eggplant.
Not a pressed bead, a bicone. The base colour was made in different rainbow colours, each colour a big stripe and covered in Effetre clear.
I had cracks all over the eggplant part.

I tried it once again just eggplant covered with clear. And again, cracks all over.
Old 2011-02-25, 6:57am
Newfoundland lover!

There is a whole long thread about CIM and how some of them need certain annealing temps. Could be that and/or compatibility.
Good luck!

Lynx, tanked propane, M-10 oxy and refurb oxy -5.
Old 2011-02-25, 7:35am
Formerly FishBulb

I was going to say that too Merigypsy. Many of the CIM blues need to be annealed at around 1040 and perhaps the purples can be like that also.

There is also a thread in this section about the latest batch of Effetre Super Clear being incompatible with some glass.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2011-02-25, 7:41am
Formerly FishBulb

There was a thread on here from a couple of years ago and apparently the blues did need a different annealing temp, according to CIM. I'll try to find it.

Old 2011-02-25, 7:51am
Formerly FishBulb

Bah, can't find it, although all this searching for CIM blues has made me want to get back on the torch, pronto! Nom nom nom.

Katie Gee here on LE is the rep for CIM (I think) so if anyone has any questions about it you could always ask her. She's incredibly helpful.

Old 2011-02-25, 8:34am
Formerly FishBulb

Ah, thank you for that clarification Kandice!

Old 2011-02-25, 5:16pm
dances with ideas...

I've had no trouble with cirrus using my regular annealing schedule, and I use it pretty regularly.

Old 2011-02-25, 10:43pm

My cirrus is of the original batch (love anything opalescent) ... can't say I've had any problems but it's good to know if I get some now it might be different?