Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-06-25, 1:29am
Hopeless glass addict!

Question Sand for Beadmaking Questions

Okay, I know...I'm just full of questions lately!

I have a few about using sand on beads. I thought about it a lot and read a thread on surface textures and found out that some of you were doing it! I'm so happy that it really can be done!

My questions are:

1) Are there any types of glass this shouldn't be done with?
2) What type of sand can be used...sandblasting? ...just any old sand?
3) Of course, it should be cleaned or rinsed, right?
4) Is it okay to marver it in or lay a bit of glass or frit over it?
5) Will it matter how coarse it is?
6) Does anyone have pictures of their sandy beads to share?

I'm eager for any advice, details, do's & don'ts...anything at all you may have to share.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~Mendy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Happiness is roasting glass with your best friend!

Old 2006-06-25, 11:17am

I haven't tried this yet but I heard someone did and that it looked really cool. I have some San Diego La Jolla Shores beach sand that I am going to try. I'm just going to roll a bead in it like frit. I'll post the results.

Cheryl

Old 2006-06-25, 11:43am
Entropy increasing....

I tried this once. I got white sand in a bag from the gardening dept. at the hardware store. I had trouble getting the sand to stick onto the bead and then it just melted into it. lol
Old 2006-06-25, 9:44pm
Hopeless glass addict!

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan
I tried this once. I got white sand in a bag from the gardening dept. at the hardware store. I had trouble getting the sand to stick onto the bead and then it just melted into it. lol
Did it look good...or did the sand just disappear?

Oh, I hope there's someone out there that will see this thread that can help...or at least show some photos of their beads.

Doesn't ANYBODY want to play with sand?

~Mendy

Old 2006-06-26, 5:52am

Hey, Raindance! Why not go ahead and try it! Make a kind of learn-as-you-go program, following the train of thought in your own (very good) initial questions? Why not become the sand expert yourself? And then report your findings back to us! Be the pathfinder! Be the one to break new ground!

Be bold! Experiment! Go for it! Don't wait for anyone! You know, most folks never really understand something unless they actually do it or try it. Don't hang around wondering what will happen if you use sand, for heaven's sake! Just try it.

You will be our Sand Guru!

JanMD
Old 2006-06-26, 8:58pm
Hopeless glass addict!

I guess you're right, JanMD. Maybe I should. Maybe there haven't been a whole lot of people who have tried it and I'm the intrigued one. At least I know for sure it can be done because it was briefly mentioned in the thread started by Tink - Surface Treatments: Common to Exotic

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=12993

It's a great thread!

~Mendy

Old 2006-06-27, 5:16am

Excellent! Be bold, Mendy! And I look forward to your complete report. And I thank you in advance.

(That 'Surface Treatments: Common the Exotic' thread that Tink started could provide hours and months of experimenting and discovery all by itself. There is a whole learning program right there.)

JanMD

Last edited by JanMD; 2006-06-27 at 5:18am.
Old 2006-06-27, 11:09pm

well this sparked my curiosity and tonight I took an ivory bead that wasnt doing what I wanted to and stuck it in the cup of blue playsand I got my daughter at walmart that holds my mandrels. Right out of the sandbox dirty might I add... and so far so good. not blue anymore but kindof cool. if you can do it with dirty blue playsand...

Old 2006-06-28, 1:03am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindance
Did it look good...or did the sand just disappear?

Oh, I hope there's someone out there that will see this thread that can help...or at least show some photos of their beads.

Doesn't ANYBODY want to play with sand?
It pretty much disappeared. It kind of looked like I had melted in some #0 clear frit.
Old 2011-04-16, 1:07pm

this is really not my thing but i have a great customer who wants to sell beads in her shop that have sand in them from the beach town her store is on! She said that she did not care how much sand is really in them just wanted some of it in there. so with a coefficient issue, i guess as long as you use a tiny bit you could roll it in it with 104 or bullseye 90? not really sure about all this but i do want to accomodate her since she is only open during the summer holiday months and thinks that tourists want to take a piece of their vacation with them! are there any new findings out there in our glassy world?????

thanks
steph

Old 2011-04-16, 1:35pm
uncouthful cats

I received some black sand from a fellow lampworker last year & made a number of beads with that sand. I like how it works, & have been hoping to be able to make a trip to so. Utah soon to pick up some of the beautiful red & vermillion sand, if I can find some that's not too fine.

I used some of it for surface decoration, but, like Kevan says, it doesn't stick real well, so I ended up encasing most of the beads I made with the black sand. It adds just a bit of a different look in organic beads. I can't do pics, so, unfortunately, I can't show you any of the beads.

I had kind of forgotten about using the sand; thanks for the reminder! Hope you make some of your own soon!

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2011-04-16, 4:54pm

Did that years ago because I wanted something different and unique. Found out that The sand wouldn't stick to the bead. I used green sand from where I live, it has olivine mixed in with lava. Natural occurrence here. But anyway when I encased it, annealed it. Waited several months before selling it, the beads cracked every single one of them. It showed hairline cracks all over the bead.

Old 2011-04-16, 5:29pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

I make glass beads with sand on the surface and encased. There are so many kinds of sand, light, dark, and composed of many elements. Silica, megnetite (black), calcium from coral and bones and shells. The black sand works really well if it is really fine and only a light layer.
The white sand with lots of calcium makes the glass bubble a lot. It's like using baking soda or bone shavings- it mostly just bubbles.
I would imaging that the lava is a different coe as well as the green olivine.
I get my 104 compatable sand from LaJolla in San diego down at Black's Beach.
If anyone wants some, I would be happy so send some your way, just pm me.

Here are some links to the sand glass:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/28748999...k-glass?ref=em
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_2asbRcK25O...h/DSC_2419.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2asbRcK25O...0/100_7974.JPG

Old 2011-04-16, 6:51pm
Back to 👊 1

I know Maren has made beads with the sand she has from ? Hilo, HI?? She gifted a bunch out and I was a lucky one that got some but have not used it yet in beads. I did use some for pictures, worked great for propping beads up!

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

Old 2011-04-16, 7:26pm

The sand I get from is where I live in Hawaii, the Big Island. It's down South from Kailua Kona. The only green sand that has natural Olivine from the volcano. Yes I did that, put sand in my bands and encased them, annealed them. It didn't matter how much I put, it still cracked. The sand is really different has more natural Olivine which is glass so that is why I had incompatibility problem different Coe.