Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Calls for Entries, etc.

Calls for Entries, etc. -- Calls for Entries, Contests, Exhibits, etc.

Old 2008-04-09, 12:42pm

Default Call For Artists/Communal Nest Project

Hello Friends,

To quote John Burroughs, "Leap, and the net will appear". This fall I have a 2 month residency and solo exhibition at the Pittsburgh Glass Center. Filled with great enthusiasm, I've decided to undertake an installation project that is far bigger than myself, ready to embrace whatever wonderful things happen. The exhibition following my residency is titled "Absence Of Body". It will combine an installation and community fund raiser to benefit both the PGC and local women's shelter, Bethlehem Haven. The exhibition will coincide with the International Women's Forum also being held in Pittsburgh that month. It is my hope that the exhibition will travel to benefit more local glass centers and womens shelters.

"The Communal Nest"
The main installation will be an 8' bird's nest, made up of a thousand or so glass twigs that will have been created by artists from all over the world and contributed to the "communal nest". Each artist is also invited to send a quote to be transferred onto vellum strips and woven into the nest. The center of the nest will be lined with glass feathers and a large, sewn glass pillow with a indentation in the top as though someone has just recently left. Surrounding the nest will be 5-6 additional sewn glass pieces supporting the concept of "Absence Of Body".

Call To Artists
An official "Call For Artists" is now made for glass artists to contribute to the communal nest. The project will use "crystal" clear glass twigs (colorless) from 8"- 40" in length. The largest of the twigs will be made in my studio and at the PGC. The glass can be either clear or have a frosted, translucent quality, as long as the glass is colorless. The twigs can be made by casting, torch, off-hand. or any 'ol method. It is recommended that the points or branches not be too delicate for obvious reasons. All artists contributing to the nest will receive recognition at the exhibition and in the catalog, and will be offered a signed catalog as appreciation for their contribution. Non artist types can also contribute to the nest by donating $50 for a 20-30" twig, or $75 for a 30-40" twig. The twigs will be made by the artists at the PGC in your name, with all profits going to benefit PGC and Bethlehem Haven.

Learn more about the project and twig guidelines at www.taylorglasgow.com

Warmly, In Glass,
Susan
Old 2008-04-09, 12:47pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

What an outstanding project! I love your vision...

Also Available in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-04-09, 1:30pm
maybe tomorrow

This sounds fantastic!

Maybe I missed it, but when do you expect this to be complete? I'd love to see it!

Old 2008-04-09, 1:49pm
Tinder Bloom Studio

Looked at your website and absolutely love your work. I have a bfa in fibers so your work really speaks to me.

Love it!

Old 2008-04-09, 3:31pm

Default Communal Nest

Thank you for the kind words of support. I need them! Every other minute I think I've bit off way more than I can chew. Aah. Live'n the dream.

The Communal Nest will completed (come h-e-double toothpicks or high water) on or before October 3rd for it's debute at the PGC. Over the summer I'm hoping to entice 800 twigs out of generous glass artists around the world to contribute to the Communal Nest, so please, spread the word! I'm making 200 large glass branches at my studio, and the PGC is taking donations for sponsorship of (hopefully) 300 more. Whew.

It's a fabulous project that I hope will travel to raise funds for glass organizations and womens shelters around the US.

XO,
S
Old 2008-04-09, 3:40pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

It would be awesome if it could come here to the Glass Pavilion. I can only imagine what it would require to take this project on the road!!!!!

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2008-04-10, 12:48pm

I'm so moved by this project! I hope to make a twig to send! ( from Israel!)

ebay

website New shop on website!

New Etsy shop!
Old 2008-04-10, 1:10pm
make beads not war

Hi Susan! OMG... I love your work! Especially the last few ones you've had here in STL, the sewn corsets over at Craft Alliance. I'm going to have to check out this project!
Old 2008-04-10, 2:05pm

Susan, what a fantastic project

I am so inspired by your work, and by your artist's statement.

J.
"Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love, and a misunderstanding is never ended by argument but by tact, diplomacy, conciliation, and a sympathetic desire to see the other person's viewpoint." ~The Buddha | “We are all humans and none of us is more human than the other.” Romeo Dallaire "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up." ~ Rev.Jesse Jackson]
Old 2008-04-10, 2:27pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

I love the idea of this project! Can we send you lampworked branches or do you want kiln-formed branches as per your website tutorial?

Kelly

Old 2008-04-12, 10:07pm
on hiatus...

Susan

Love the work on your website.

Welcome to LE!! Susie at Village Glass told me about your project, so I'm excited to see the invitation for branches in print. Next week our Columbia group is meeting, so I'll propose a challenge to make branches.

Congratulations on your residency, it sounds awesome..

Steph

Last edited by Steph'sBeadCorner; 2008-04-13 at 8:28am.
Old 2008-04-14, 9:44pm

Default Thanks for the support!

Wow, thanks everyone!
I'm going to try to answer everyone's questions--Lampwork! Yes! Please make your twig at least 8" long, with beefier-than-usual points, to discourage breakage.

I've had pledges of Australian twigs, maybe Israel is even further! So Cool!

I am accepting offers of installations for The Communal Nest past Pittsburgh. By the way, the reception is October 3rd, from 5-8pm at the PGC. Please send me proposals (The Glass Pavilion included), and we can hash out details.

Thanks Steph!! I'd love if Columbia was overly represented in The Communal Nest. It's only right!

A glass comrade in St. Louis, Yuko Suga, is organizing a twig making workshop on her own through the St. Louis Craft Alliance. I'm thrilled!

The project becomes more wonderful and complex by the moment. One minute I'm good, the next close to blubbering. I'll be posting images soon on my blog, which can be accessed through my website www.taylorglasgow.com

Thank you all, and spread the word!
XO,
Susan