Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2008-10-25, 5:02am

I removed the clamp on my torch mounted marver and replaced it with a hose clamp that was the correct size to attach to my Lynx. No damage I can see, and works just great. Shouldn't hurt the Cricket either.
Joan
Old 2008-10-26, 8:43pm

Mine should be in anyday! I just got my mega minor, but how could I resist a lime green torch???!!

Amy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-10-26, 10:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnam View Post
I just got mine 2 days ago. I got the hot pink. I absolutely hate the color and I am thinking about selling mine. It is sitting in the box on my kitchen counter. I should have gotten the purple instead!! I am so bummed as I was so anxious to get it. Anyone interested? I can take a picture if there is any interest. My other option is to send it back I guess and get the color that I want.

Donna
I'll give ya $50 for it

I bet someone out there would trade for one of a different color.
Old 2008-10-26, 11:25pm

Can you make a small-medium marble with boro on a cricket?
Old 2008-10-27, 4:50pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokeshikitten View Post
Can you make a small-medium marble with boro on a cricket?
Hell yeah!
It's hot hot hot!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-10-28, 6:48pm
jessica barksdale

i was wondering if anyone could tell me the largest sized boro rod they've been able to pull out pendants or marbles on with the cricket? i usually work with 12-14mm for pendants - it seems like it could handle that with no problem, even on a single concentrator. i'm really excited about the idea of such a cute little (affordable) torch working boro. thanks!

Last edited by ruca; 2008-10-28 at 6:50pm.
Old 2008-10-28, 7:11pm
AKA: Noodlesaurus

Ok so I have a total GTT addicition, I have a cricket which runs on a Regaila and it is a very, very awesome torch, I think it is just as hot as my Lynx or pretty darn close! THIS IS A GREAT TORCH!!! If you are thinking of getting a new torch this is the one! really sweet and super fast!

or
,~Punties, Mandrels,Beads.....GTT Phantom....
Old 2008-10-28, 9:22pm
I speak Murrini!

Default Are you selling, trading, swapping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnam View Post
I just got mine 2 days ago. I got the hot pink. I absolutely hate the color and I am thinking about selling mine. It is sitting in the box on my kitchen counter. I should have gotten the purple instead!! I am so bummed as I was so anxious to get it. Anyone interested? I can take a picture if there is any interest. My other option is to send it back I guess and get the color that I want.

Donna
Sent you a PM - everyone knows PINK is my favorite in almost everything!!! I'm considering buying one - and of course, the wait on the PINK is longer. Are the knobs the same pink color? Maybe we could work something out!

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-11-03, 12:01pm

I got my cricket and it is AMAZING and I love love it!!
I got the lime green - my only complaint is that it is apple green and not lime green.

Amy

Old 2008-11-05, 11:41pm
I speak Murrini!

I've ordered the PINK one - with black knobs! Can't wait...

De in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-11-06, 4:24pm
Gay rights R human rights

Never mind....

bravo torch with 2 ex20's

Last edited by tiggybubba; 2008-11-06 at 5:15pm.
Old 2008-11-08, 3:35pm
She better not sell these

I ordered one, no particular color, I just want one. My email reply from the manufacturer said the middle of November.

I couldn't wait any longer for a specific color, I have the patience of a 4 year old.

#T53
"I love making lampwork beads, one at a time, with a Cricket or Minnnow burner on 5LPM oxycons".
Old 2008-11-08, 3:52pm
PyronamixK

I hear ya' on that one, Twiggy! You're going to have a lot of fun when it gets there!
Old 2008-11-09, 3:09pm
Bliss Junkie

it is a fun torch... i've been taking a few days off of my CC to play small on the Cricket... doing small pendant work and small sculptural stuff

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2008-11-09, 5:08pm
Queen Bee

Do you all think this torch would be okay for a beginner? I'm not thrilled with the hothead - it takes so long! Or would it be too much of a torch for me? I would need to buy a concentrator as well, correct?

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2008-11-09, 5:40pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

It would be perfect for a beginner. It can be hotter than a minor, but doesn't have to be - and on a single concentrator would be great. I highly recommend it.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-11-09, 5:53pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

I have been using my cricket exclusively for a few weeks now. I love it and it does seem to be saving oxy. I am working boro and 104 with it.

Old 2008-11-09, 6:07pm
Queen Bee

Thanks so much for helping! I'm thinking it will be on my Christmas list for hubby!
Donna

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2008-11-09, 6:08pm
birdergirl ~o~

Question

Can the cricket be ordered with screw on hose fittings?
Or Is it clamp on only?
I think that's what the question below was ( wasn't it ? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeepers View Post
I got my cricket with the regular hose fittings. If I wanted to switch them out to B-fittings would I just get regular 1/4" B-fittings?

Does anyone know?

Cheers.

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2008-11-18, 1:42pm
Boro Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruca View Post
i was wondering if anyone could tell me the largest sized boro rod they've been able to pull out pendants or marbles on with the cricket? i usually work with 12-14mm for pendants - it seems like it could handle that with no problem, even on a single concentrator. i'm really excited about the idea of such a cute little (affordable) torch working boro. thanks!
I am using a cricket on 2 5lpm oxy cons and have had no problem building multi-layered canes over 12mm rods. I've been pumping out implosion pendants off of 12mm too and have had absolutely no problem. The torch keeps up with me just fine. It is a narrow flame, but it is hot and the heat is penetrating just like I would expect from GTT. I am thrilled with this little torch. I would imagine it could handle 14 or 15 mil just fine as well...just a few extra seconds to get your gather

Old 2008-11-19, 3:21pm

Okay I'm going to post this here.
I currently run a Betta on NG and 2 oxycons. 1 when I'm teaching. (split up to feed both torches)
I love my betta.....I really do but I want something bushier.
I've tried the linx which does NOT like NG. So I was thinking of the bobcat.
Now you're all talking about the Cricket and I'm in confused mode all over again.
The bobcat has more jets correct?
Will both give me a bushy flame?
Will the bobcat run on NG or will the Cricket???
Help pleasssse!

PS I'm not worried about the price but want something that might help me more with stringers and detail work where i can be away from the flame and still have heat to melt.
If the cricket is going to do the exact same as the bobcat...I'll choose that but if one has more jets...wouldn't that mean more flame?
Thanks

Old 2008-11-19, 4:11pm

Reenie, I was in the exactly the same spot wanting a 'bushier' flame than the Betta. I bought the Cricket, not because it has a bushier flame because it hasn't, but because it is O2 friendly. The flame size is similar to the Betta.
I really like the Cricket tho, for its heat and ease of use. I think if you want a bushier flame you will need to look at something else. Maybe a mini CC?

Cheers
Kym
Old 2008-11-19, 5:18pm
PyronamixK

The Bobcat has a wider flame than both the Cricket and the Betta. The Bobat can get a small detail flame, but not as small as that of the Lynx or the Cricket. It also runs well on household pressure NG. The Lynx really likes to have at least 2-2.5 psi, but the Bobcat can run well on 0.25 psi fuel pressure. The Bobcat also uses oxygen much more efficiently than a Mini CC. So, on a concentrator, it is able to get a lot hotter than a Mini CC and on tanked, it won't eat up as much.

A while back, I posted some measurements and stuff comparing a Bobcat, Minor, and a Mini CC. You can find it if you do a search using my user name.
Old 2008-11-19, 10:37pm

Thanks Kimberly....I'll check it out. I love the Betta's but would love to try something..different.

Old 2008-11-20, 9:36am
Butterfly Rancher

I'm using household pressure Natural Gas -- my local utility company says the local standard pressure is 1/4 PSI. I'm also using a Regalia oxycon which is 10 LPM. With this combination, I found the Betta and Cricket to be very similar -- although the Cricket is much cuter I haven't used a Bobcat.

However, if you want a fluffy flame and you have at least 7LPM of oxycon, then the MiniCC is maybe the torch you're looking for. I'm going to keep my MiniCC for blown work because it does have a nice, fluffy, radiant flame. I'm keeping either the Cricket or the Betta for boro and detail work. I found the fluffy flame of the MiniCC did not work well for me with boro. But I'm missing it for soft vessel and ornament work.

I have used a Minor -- always on tanked fuel and oxygen -- in classes. And the MiniCC has the bushiest flame of any torch that I've used.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2008-11-24, 9:08pm
Disconnected

I set up my Cricket today!
I am so excited, this is my first real torch after 2 years on the Hot Head. Poor dinosaur lies around abandoned...

I love it. The silence is deafening (except for the purring of the oxycon, which I will get used to easily).

Old 2008-11-24, 9:53pm
PyronamixK

Yay! Nice picture, too.
Old 2008-11-28, 5:01pm

Look at that flame! I can't flippin' wait to get mine!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2008-11-28, 5:47pm
Disconnected

Thank you Kim!
Please tell the GTT guys that they really rock!

Old 2008-11-28, 7:45pm

drool...sigh

granny