Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2010-06-30, 9:41pm

Default Question about maximum length of oxygen hose

I am moving my studio to the opposite side of the house from where my oxygen tanks are stored. I am going to need about 50' of hose. Will this be a problem? Is it safe to have a hose that long? Will it effect the pressure at the torch.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Lynn
Old 2010-07-01, 12:44am
PyronamixK

The pressure will drop the longer your line is. So, just boost the pressure at the regulator a bit and that should take care of it.

I would make sure that nothing could tear up the line where you can't see it. Don't let any doors close onto it repeatedly or let any pets chew through it, that sort of thing. You can check for leaks with soapy water.
Old 2010-07-01, 9:48am

Thanks Kimberly. I will be running the hose above a drop ceiling.

Lynn
Old 2010-07-02, 11:12am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Lynn,
BAD IDEA!
Hose can and will deteriorate over time and small critters love to chew on hoses if they get a chance. In plain site is by far the safest way to do it.

OTOH I have used hoses up to 300 or 400 feet when cutting/welding. Like Kbinkster said, "adjust your regulator to compensate for hose losses.
PJH
Old 2010-07-02, 1:02pm
Harold Williams Cooney

use two regulators; one at the tanks, one at the bench. only real pressure solution.

place hoses in pvc pipe if you can; keeps all the sun, snow, rain, rats and falling tree limbs off it.

get into the habit of draining your lines. and keep the habit.

I have the same set up. I like it. I think it's safe.

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-07-03, 10:16am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I have to disagree with HWCGlass.

We constantly stress SAFETY here and on other forums. And I have to admit I can sometimes be a little cavalier but only in situations I have personal knowledge about and for my own situation. That being said;

Why use 2 regulators when one will do?

Placing hoses in PVC is probably illegal in your area; it is in most. And if you are going to run pipe why not use steel pipe and do it right. A leaking hose inside a PVC pipe just creates a leak into 2 areas. Inside a pipe makes it harder to detect and harder to repair.

Many people toute draining hose lines as a cure all; not so, it simply reduces stress on the hoses and reduces the chance that a leak builds up gas in the area. More important on the fuel line/hose, not so much on the oxy side. I have 28 ft of steel pipe from my oxy tank manifold to my bench and I am very careful to shut off the tank valves but almost never drain that line. Couldn't if I wanted to, the way it's situated. My feeling is that oxy wont really 'drain' out of it anyway unless you blow something else thru the pipe to force it out. There is no density difference to make it drain or flow.

Just my opinion anyway, PJH

Last edited by cheng076; 2010-07-03 at 10:22am.
Old 2010-07-03, 1:36pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I wouldn't want any hoses fun where I couldn't see them - through a drop ceiling sounds unnecessarily risky.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-07-03, 1:54pm
Harold Williams Cooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
I have to disagree with HWCGlass.

Why use 2 regulators when one will do?
Because one regulator will not do. The reg can not keep up with long hose lengths. One at tank, one at torch.

These problems get bigger if you have multiple torches (I do) and if you work at higher pressures (I do).

Hard lining gas is obviously the best option but if you don't own the joint and if you don't have the cash then it's not the thing to do.

As far as leaks in the hose wile it is in the PVC, a valid concern. My PVC is not hard jointed and has lots of opportunity for venting itself. This is a far better option than having the hose out in the open (sun and weather).

Why drain the hose? So it can't leak wile you are not there. I use 3/8' double t hose and over about 50' or so that is is lot of gas.

Old 2010-07-03, 8:54pm

My oxygen hose is the only one I will need to run about 50 feet. My propane hose is only about 10 feet. The way my house it set up, it is to hard to get my oxygen tanks closer to my studio. Especially in the winter. I thought it would be better to have the hose out of the exposed weather. I didn't realize that running it through a drop ceiling would be dangerous. I purchased a Mirage about a year ago and haven't been able to use it. I moved my studio to a bigger room to give me more space to work and to have all of my equipment in on area. I am currently working with Hellcat running on a M-20 and an Integra 10. I really need the bigger torch and more heat for the work I am doing.
I really hate to think I am going to have to sell my mirage. Once again, thanks for all your help.
Old 2010-07-03, 9:00pm

My oxygen hose is the only one I will need to run about 50 feet. My propane hose is only about 10 feet. The way my house it set up, it is to hard to get my oxygen tanks closer to my studio. Especially in the winter. I thought it would be better to have the hose out of the exposed weather. I didn't realize that running it through a drop ceiling would be dangerous. I purchased a Mirage about a year ago and haven't been able to use it. I moved my studio to a bigger room to give me more space to work and to have all of my equipment in on area. I am currently working with Hellcat running on a M-20 and an Integra 10. I really need the bigger torch and more heat for the work I am doing.
I really hate to think I am going to have to sell my mirage. Once again, thanks for all your help.

I read my post again and wanted to make sure you understood that my propane hose will NOT be in the ceiling. It is hard piped through an outside wall.
Old 2010-07-04, 7:32am
Gentleman of Leisure

Mixed message here, you speak of tanks and oxygen concentrators.....

IF tank and long hose are issue why not put tanks in enclosure out side next to propane "entrance"....

IF it is oxycons simply move them....

There is no need to sell anything, its just a process of thinking through what you have to do and then making it so....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-07-04, 8:38am
Harold Williams Cooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Burgess View Post
I really hate to think I am going to have to sell my mirage.
DO NOT SELL YOUR MIRAGE!!!
THERE IS NO NEED
PLEASE
PLEASE PLEASE
DO NOT SELL YOUR MIRAGE OVER VERY SIMPLE HOSE ISSUES
EASILY SOLVED
It sounds to me like you have everything dialed anyway.
You are good.
Seriously, you selling your GTT would break my heart.

Old 2010-07-04, 9:39am
Curmudgeon Engineering

This time I wholey agree with HWCGlass. Small problems like hose runs are no reason to sell what I consider the best torch in the world.... next to my Kabuki which is the Mirage's bigger brother.
Old 2010-07-04, 5:42pm

I guess I am not making myself clear. I am trying to set up tanked oxygen to power my Mirage. The way our house is set up the only place I can put the tanked oxygen would be in our garage. My studio is in our finished basement. The only way I can run the hose would be through the drop ceiling. I can carry a bbq tank of propane to the back of the house where I have it hard piped into my studio. It would be nearly impossible for me to get tanked oxygen to that same location, especially in the winter. I have tried to come up with a better solution. If I can't run the oxygen hose through the drop ceiling, I have no other options and would have no need for the Mirage. Believe me, it would devastate me to have to sell my Mirage. But if I can't get oxygen to it, it doesn't do me any good.
Dale, as far as the concentrators go, I was just explaining my current set up.
Believe me, if I could get the oxygen tanks next to my propane, this whole thing wouldn't be an issue.
I am sure one of you guys could come up with a creative idea for my situation if you where here and able to see what I am talking about. I guess I will stick with my current set up for now.
Old 2010-07-04, 6:09pm
Harold Williams Cooney

You will be okay.

Take your time when running the hose. Make sure to protect it well. Don't hang it with metal strapping or wire, don't mount it firmly. Allow the hose some room to move about. Make sure anything that could scratch it over time is either covered or well padded. Inspect the hose every now and then, replace it every 12-24 months.

Above the ceiling sounds good to me if you think about it.

Might not be OSHA but it's no different than most any other glass shop.

Old 2010-07-04, 6:49pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Actually just run it along floor and disconnect it when done and coil it up......... TaDaa.....

You are putting to much emphasis on what to do with the hose and using it as reason to force sale of torch.... Your perspective is all wrong on this..... I thought the whole object in this discussion is to make torch usable and not a reason to sell it.....

If aesthetics is the problem..... Run 3/8 soft copper tubing and use flared brass fittings for connection to "short" hoses..... There is a "clean" oil free tubing available for refrigeration work that will fit the oxygen requirement.....

http://www.mcmaster.com/param/asp/PS...MMainWidth=819

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-07-04 at 8:39pm.
Old 2010-07-04, 6:56pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWCGlass View Post

Might not be OSHA but it's no different than most any other glass shop.
That does not mean its safe....... Some glass shops do not have a clue......

Your assumption is all glass studios and shop read and practice what is preached here on LE.... Some don't even know this sort of place exists..... Let alone the safety aspects....

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-07-04 at 7:09pm.
Old 2010-07-04, 7:40pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Is there is a reason you can't put the oxygen tank in the basement?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-07-04, 9:07pm

In order to get the tanks inside I would have to get it up a flight of 7 steps and then back down 12 steps. That scares me more than the hose situation.

Dale, that is definitely an option. Not convenient, but definitely workable.
It could get me up and running until I can come up with a more permanent solution.

Thanks again for everyones input. You have been very helpful
Old 2010-07-07, 9:26am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I think I see the problem here.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the garage is, for you, the only place where oxy tanks can be placed with out tremendous effort and the garage is located at a higher level than the basement studio and you are not necessarily talking about running the oxy hose into and along some length of ceiling but rather penetrating the ceiling to get the hose from one level to another. Thus only a limited length of hose is concealed within the drop space or are you needing to cross the length of your basement?. In the case of just penetrating the drop space some of my reservations do not wholey apply. Sometimes concessions must be made to accomplish the goal but NOT when it grossly violates safety. So, both of the suggestions above may solve your problem. Think outside the box and keep at it and a solution will present itself. Maybe post some pics here so we can see the situation. Keep us posted.
PJH