Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2010-02-21, 10:22pm

Default Betta and M-5 and boro?

I have a Bobcat and an M-5 concentrator. I use it for soft glass and smaller boro things. While the boro is do-able on the bobcat I feel like it has three draw backs
1) it doesn't heat the boro enough (my stringers are lumpy)
2) the bobcat doesn't have a big wide flame (for inside out beads)
3) the bobcat doesn't have a small narrow flame.

I'd like to upgrade but I don't really have room for another concentrator or the big bucks for a huge torch.

Could I buy a betta and run it on my M-5? Would I see an improvement on my boro melting vs. the bobcat or would it be the same? Does the betta have a wider and/or narrower flame than the bobcat?

Is there another torch that will run with the M-5 that does boro well?

Or should I wait until I save up enough for an M-10 or M-15 and what other torch?

Any help you give will be most appreciated!!

jgraff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-02-21, 10:43pm

My first suggestion would be to upgrade your oxygen. Either add a second oxycon, or get a larger one. I suspect that with more oxygen, you will think that you've got a new torch!

Even if you do decide to upgrade your torch later, you will still want/need more oxygen ... regardless of the torch you get.

Malcolm

PS: Have you tried your torch (or one just like it) on bottled oxygen? Just for comparison?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2010-02-22, 12:22am

Betta torch works fine on one concentrator but it has the same size of flame at the bobcat as far as the width. It does do nice pinpoint flame though. I agree with Malcolm about the oxygen. I do boro with my betta but it could be hotter so really I don't think it would do much more than what you are getting maybe a little hotter but not much in my opinion If you were to want to get a different torch that would run on one concentrator I would get a cricket or save and get want I want a scorpion

Old 2010-02-22, 11:18am
The Venerable Bead

I have a betta on natural gas and 2 m-20's it's more oxygen you need. the bobcat will be fine for boro for small beads and pendants with more oxy. you can melt boro on a minor if you have enough heat. save for another oxycon. get an M-15 at the minumum and 2 for maximum meltage

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2010-02-23, 1:22pm

Thank you all for the info. I'll save up for at least an M-10 if not an M-15. After I see how the bobcat does with more oxygen I'll decide if I need another torch with a more adjustable flame size.

Thanks!
jgraff

Old 2010-09-30, 8:35pm

I finally got my pennies saved and I added an M-15 to my set up. I am running the M-15 and M-5 together so I have 12 lpm of oxygen.

Now I'm trying to get to the hottest neutral flame that I can get on my bobcat.

What pressure should I set the propane tank at?

If I crank up the oxygen the flame hisses and I have always read that the flame shouldn't be hissing.

jgraff

Old 2010-10-02, 7:32pm

The m15 and m5 have 10psi difference in their pressures - could cause damage, I'd do research if I were you.
Old 2010-10-03, 1:30pm

Are you saying I can't hook the M15 and the M5 together? I have never heard of this before.

Can anyone point to a thread where this is discussed?

jgraff

Old 2010-10-03, 3:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraff View Post
Are you saying I can't hook the M15 and the M5 together? I have never heard of this before.

Can anyone point to a thread where this is discussed?

jgraff
He is right. The PSI should be within 5 psi of each unit to operate with the optimum output. An M15 might void out an M5. One way to tell is the watch the flow ball when you connect the 2 together. The M5 would most likely go to a much lower flow than 5 lpm. An M10 and an M15 should operate together without losing any lpm. jack

866-955-0200
3 year warranty & Life Time Support
PayPal address
Old 2010-10-04, 10:47am

As I understand it the gauge on the M5 should never read over 4 LPM and the gauge on the M15 should never read over 8 LPM (stickers were put on the units when I purchased them). This would mean that my total LPM is 12 and the units are exactly 5 LPM apart.

Is this safe?

I do not see a drop in LPM on either unit when they are operating.

jgraff

Old 2010-10-04, 10:49am

whoops. Bad math. The units are 4 LPM apart.

jgraff

Old 2010-10-04, 5:06pm

LPM isn't the issue - it's PSI.

LPM is volume, PSI is pressure.