No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-08-09, 7:03pm

Default Happy Birthday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyGlass9 View Post
Wooo hooo!! My son just ordered me the Impress for my birthday! What a great son (and what a great gift). I am very excited.

Does anyone know what the approximate shipping time is on this tool these days? I know that at the beginning, there was quite a wait time.

Thanks in advance!
I do.

Happy Birthday!
It will ship in one to two days. You should have it by Friday or Saturday morning. Feel free to email me directly with any questions.
Regards,
Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-08-09, 7:26pm
too many rods in the fire

Wow - how cool is that???! Talk about great customer service! Thanks, Dave - I can't wait to get my new "toy", and I am sure I will have some questions.

Old 2010-08-10, 3:36am
Molten Glass Addict

I just ordered one too. Birthday gift from my Mom. Happy Birthday to us!!

< me in my younger days

< me now days

< me after a pomegranate rum slushie

Old 2010-08-10, 11:26am
too many rods in the fire

Happy Birthday, Jamie! Just think how much fun we'll be having soon, coring our beads.

Old 2010-08-14, 3:12pm
Molten Glass Addict

So excited. My liner is here. We can't find the pipe cutter,figures, and I found some copper to practice with, but need that darn pipe cutter. I'll have to go get one tomorrow at the hardware.

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2010-12-20, 5:04pm

I figured out my splitting problem. I was doing the brass coring nicely but most of my copper cores were splitting. Then I annealed the copper and it worked! It's also a lot easier. 15 seconds with my creme brulee torch and everything works perfectly! I might try annealing the aluminum. First I have to find out if you can anneal aluminum.

jgraff

Old 2011-01-24, 11:53am
Dark Flower Bead Art

Just wanted to thank Dave for excellent customer service. i was having a tweaking issue and he called me minutes after I emailed and walked me through it. such a great product! so worth the investment. Thanks
Cara

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-04-04, 11:32pm
I speak Murrini!

Woo Hoo! Just wanted you to know, Dave, that my new Impress was waiting for me when I returned from Glass Craft late this afternoon! I'm really looking forward to making cored beads - finally!

Thanks so much!

Hugs!!!!!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-04-05, 2:44am
Dark Flower Bead Art

Woo Hoo De Anne is in the club! Just a warning De Anne, you may never see the sun again, you'll be in your basement coring and lining everything! Can't wait to see what you get.
Cara

[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-04-10, 3:15pm
Molten Glass Addict

Hey Impress bead liner enthusiasts Question for ya

I have been seeing this happen to my cores and I'm not really sure why. It only happens to one half of one side. The other side of this bead is perfect, but this side has a flat spot inside on one side of the tubing.

I've had this happen quite a few times. I must be doing something wrong. Any ideas?

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Last edited by Glasstastic Treasures; 2011-04-10 at 3:19pm.
Old 2011-04-10, 3:46pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

I think i know exactly what that is because it was happening to me and Dave walked me through it..the cone shapped piece is no longer perfectly lined up over the centering peg. This happens if you store the impress on its side or simply used it a lot. Dave told me how to unscrew the centering peg and reposition it directly under the cone thing. I was able to fix it yself in a few minutes. I hope that was clear, if not email Dave and I'm sure he will call you to walk you through it. Try playing with it a bit and see if that's what is the problem for you. Good luck.
Cara

[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-04-10, 3:58pm
Molten Glass Addict

To fix that do I need to take the cone off and reattach it so it's lined up better?

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2011-04-10, 3:59pm
Molten Glass Addict

Ok, wait. I read that wrong. The center peg. I'll look at that again and see if that helps.

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2011-04-10, 5:21pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasstastic Treasures View Post
Hey Impress bead liner enthusiasts Question for ya

I have been seeing this happen to my cores and I'm not really sure why. It only happens to one half of one side. The other side of this bead is perfect, but this side has a flat spot inside on one side of the tubing.

I've had this happen quite a few times. I must be doing something wrong. Any ideas?

I've gotten this result too and I thought it was caused by twisting too much in one turn and the tube may have been a bit too long. I always get best results if I slow it down

Old 2011-04-10, 5:32pm
Molten Glass Addict

Ansley, I had thought that same thing. But I have even done 1/8th inch turns, and it still happens. although it's better, it still has that dent.

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2011-04-10, 5:41pm

Jamie - I'm fairly new at using it so I guess we're all learning together. I'm looking forward to hearing if the center peg recentering works as it makes sense. It was sort of out of the blue when I was doing quite a number of beads so that's why I thought I was twisting too much in the same turn.

Old 2011-04-10, 8:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by azschneid View Post
Jamie - I'm fairly new at using it so I guess we're all learning together. I'm looking forward to hearing if the center peg recentering works as it makes sense. It was sort of out of the blue when I was doing quite a number of beads so that's why I thought I was twisting too much in the same turn.
Hi,
Don't remove the cone. That won't help. Also storing the Impress on its side is fine, or in any other position. If the bottom post is so loose that it goes off-center just because you laid it on its side, then the looseness is the problem, not the position it's stored in.

I suggest sticking to 3/4 or at most 1 turn depending on tubing diameter. Smaller sizes need smaller turns because it is a matter of scale. I kind of doubt that is the problem or you would have solved it by now by adjusting your turns, but that can definitely contribute to it so check it out.

There are a number of reasons that can happen. This is best handled by phone with me, because it is easy to eliminate variables quickly by phone and zero in on the problem. Email me at daveatmywebsitenamedotcom tell me your # and a good time to call, or ask and I'll give you my private number and you can call me.

Please don't hesitate to email me with support questions. I'm always happy to support my products. And it is less time consuming and more efficient to do it by phone.

Here are some possibilities:
(1) How are you cutting your tubing? The cone will follow the path of least resistance, and align itself with the top of the tubing edge. If that edge is cut at an angle, it is going to follow that angle all the way down as it flares the tube. If you use a harbor freight mini table saw, or a jeweler's saw, rather than the recommended tubing cutter, you must be sure the cut is absolutely square. Check the bridge on the mini saw or if you are using a jeweler's saw freehand, that is very likely the problem.
(1a) Another very real possibility is if you are using a file or rubbing on sandpaper to debur and clean up your ends, that is a good suspect for getting the end non-square. (By square, I mean the end of the tubing is a perfect right angle (90 degrees) to the axis or center line of the tube.)

(2) The bottom post can get off center slightly if the mounting screw that goes up through the base gets loose for some reason. This might happen from tightening the centering peg too tight, and then when you change it, you might accidentally unscrew the entire bottom post WITH the peg, instead of the peg unscrewing from the post. If you think you might have over-tightened your centering peg, hold the post with a pliers when you loosen it so it won't turn the post. Then screw it back in gently. Centering pegs do not need to be tight, and in fact you should avoid it. I tell folks to screw them in with one finger and thumb, gently. That's all it needs. The Post is extremely hard, as hard as a drill bit. The little centering peg, being mild steel, is mashed potatoes by comparison, and the post threads will actually cut into the screw threads, locking it in, with surprisingly little force.

(3) If you are using a tubing cutter, and the wheel is dull, or you are too aggressive in tightening the wheel for the next cutting pass, you could push in the tubing on one side more than the other. This might cause two things: It work-hardens the tubing, making it stronger on one side, and it may also deform the tubing unevenly, making it thicker on one side. Either one or both can make the path of least resistance off-center. That is why I always recommend the Empire brand mini pipe cutters sold by Sears, model # 2812
They are sharp, with hardened wheels, which are also replaceable BTW, and very inexpensive. Actually cheaper than some others that might be ok for plumbing, but definitely not for our purposes. You'll probably find another very similar one hanging right next to the 2812, Slightly smaller or larger. (I forget the model #) That is fine also. Both are small, and red.

(3a) The combination of the above cutter or similar, and my debur tool or something similar, (ie, as opposed to trying to file or sand freehand,) will give optimal results for a square end and evenly flared rivet.

(4) If your post has ever been removed, or loosened and re-tightened, It might be off-center. Screw the cone all the way down, (gently) and then back it off (upwards) 1/2 turn. Hold the Impress at eye level in front of a white wall, or some source of light so it is easy to see the alignment of the tip of the cone as it relates to the centering peg. Grasp the cone between thumb and forefinger, and push upward slightly. You should feel it sort of "seat" against the ram screw. Check that the tip is centered both left to right and front to back. Turn the tool around and repeat. Check that these results agree with what you saw first. If you are convinced it is straight, then the problem is probably one of the above. If you are sure it is off-center, then loosen the bottom mounting screw, and align the post, and gently tighten the mounting screw, This may not be as easy as it sounds so please by all means I suggest you get in touch with me and I'll stick with you till it is right. This rarely happens, and I can do it in a heartbeat (I do it with every Impress that goes out of the shop) but the first time can be kind if hard to see it and get it spot on. Most likely 99% of you will never have to deal with it anyway.

Hope this helps. Please get in touch with me if need be. - Also: I know a few folks have Impresses they got used or whatever. That's fine also. I'll be happy to help you folks too.

Regards,
Dave

Old 2011-04-10, 9:15pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Dave, I emailed you from your site about one I purchased used here. I use a tube cutter and use my exacto knife to debur so I'm not sure what the problem is but I'm going to try step #4 and see what happens. If that doesn't work then I will email you again with my number ( I didnt' think to put it in the other email to you)
Thank you for your help and putting this all here!!
Sue

Old 2011-04-11, 3:24am
Molten Glass Addict

Dave, thanks for the response, I'll have to read this when I get home from work. It's just after 5am and my eyes won't focus yet. lol

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2011-04-11, 10:50am

I tried out the bead liner at Fire on the Mountain in Asheville. I loved it. I ordered one on March 31. How long is the wait these days? Not that I'm impatient or anything...
Old 2011-04-11, 3:38pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

(4) If your post has ever been removed, or loosened and re-tightened, It might be off-center. Screw the cone all the way down, (gently) and then back it off (upwards) 1/2 turn. Hold the Impress at eye level in front of a white wall, or some source of light so it is easy to see the alignment of the tip of the cone as it relates to the centering peg. Grasp the cone between thumb and forefinger, and push upward slightly. You should feel it sort of "seat" against the ram screw. Check that the tip is centered both left to right and front to back. Turn the tool around and repeat. Check that these results agree with what you saw first. If you are convinced it is straight, then the problem is probably one of the above. If you are sure it is off-center, then loosen the bottom mounting screw, and align the post, and gently tighten the mounting screw, This may not be as easy as it sounds so please by all means I suggest you get in touch with me and I'll stick with you till it is right. This rarely happens, and I can do it in a heartbeat (I do it with every Impress that goes out of the shop) but the first time can be kind if hard to see it and get it spot on. Most likely 99% of you will never have to deal with it anyway.

This is the trick that worked for me ....
Cara

[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-04-11, 6:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowbead View Post
I tried out the bead liner at Fire on the Mountain in Asheville. I loved it. I ordered one on March 31. How long is the wait these days? Not that I'm impatient or anything...
All my current Impress orders should be shipped between tomorrow (Tuesday) and Thursday. I don't know which is yours so I can't be more specific. If you want a better idea, please email me at DaveAtArtInTheRoundDotCom.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 2011-04-11, 7:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
All my current Impress orders should be shipped between tomorrow (Tuesday) and Thursday. I don't know which is yours so I can't be more specific. If you want a better idea, please email me at DaveAtArtInTheRoundDotCom.

Thanks,
Dave
Thanks! I can't wait.
Old 2011-09-07, 1:21am
all for the love of glass

Do you ship APO Dave?

"Do not worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to." -- Robert Henri.
Old 2011-09-07, 4:01am

Dave, I bought an Impress liner from you a year or 2 ago after watching a friend use hers. I got it but got distracted and never used it. Now I have found it again but cant remember how to use it. Do you have a video or instructions (for Dummys preferably) that I can view. I did but the extra piece for the Pandora beads and have no clue what to do with it. Also has the liner changed since I purchased mine? Just curious.
Old 2011-10-03, 12:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamemoth View Post
Do you ship APO Dave?
I do, and as you know, I answered your question directly long ago. Just updating the thread so it doesn't appear I've not answered.

Regards,
Dave

Old 2011-10-03, 1:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangita View Post
Dave, I bought an Impress liner from you a year or 2 ago after watching a friend use hers. I got it but got distracted and never used it. Now I have found it again but cant remember how to use it. Do you have a video or instructions (for Dummys preferably) that I can view. I did but the extra piece for the Pandora beads and have no clue what to do with it. Also has the liner changed since I purchased mine? Just curious.
Hi Sangita,

To change the peg, there are instructions on the site. BUT! Now there is an even easier way! Check the website (just click the link in my sig) and get "Little Phil." He's a tiny #2 screwdriver and 1/4 inch socket combined that will fit in the Impress and allow changing of pegs AND Flaring Dies with ease. No more base or cone removal. Now it's a piece of cake. Easy Peasy.

I believe you have the latest model. I have made it easier to find all the instructions and tips on the website, and also posted links to instructional videos. Thanks to everyone who did them!

Thanks,
Dave

Old 2011-10-03, 1:14pm
Molten Glass Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangita View Post
I found a tutorial on youtube by someone. I am at work and can't get on youtube and I don't want to forget, so I'm replying without being able to give a link.

You can search for the Impress bead liner tutorial and there is a nice one out there. If you can't find it PM me and then I'll get an email and can look it up for you when I get home.

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2011-10-03, 4:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasstastic Treasures View Post
I found a tutorial on youtube by someone. I am at work and can't get on youtube and I don't want to forget, so I'm replying without being able to give a link.

You can search for the Impress bead liner tutorial and there is a nice one out there. If you can't find it PM me and then I'll get an email and can look it up for you when I get home.
That is probably one of the videos I was referring to, which I've linked to on www.artintheround.com

Thanks,
Dave

Old 2011-10-03, 5:43pm
Molten Glass Addict

Thanks Dave, the 2nd link under your tute link was the video I was referring to. I'm glad you have them posted on your website! Visuals are nice to have.

BTW, hubby just looked at my bead liner and he did say the center peg was off. He's going to fix it for me. Thanks for the advise on how to fix it.

< me in my younger days

< me now days