Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-01-15, 8:00pm
Glass-aholic

Default trouble etching transparent turquoise?

I etched a whole bunch of beads today. All about the same size and type. The vetro med transparent turquoise did not etch in the same time that the others did. in about 1-10 min my other transparents were great, smooth and even. The turquoise was streaky at best, but it seamed as though the only etch was almost non existent, and followed the way the glass was laid down? any suggestions on this one?

I did end up leaving them in for about about 2 hours and finally the etched, but they were kind of on the rough side. I know that I can soften the etch with cream wax and other things, and have searched for 'colors that do not etch', and other stuff like that. The search came up empty handed... I know I have seen some info like this before, but I cant find any of it. I know some colors that do not etch well, hades, intense black... I think it is time we started this discussion again!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-01-15, 8:08pm

Interesting Jaci, I am having the same problem.
I tried to etch 2 this week, and they are inconsistent. 20 min, and there are some shiny areas, and some etched.
One bead is CIM kryptonite and the other I am pretty sure is effetre TP pale ink blue.
My fluid is old, and I am chalking it up to that.
joanne

- A work in progress

Old 2011-01-15, 8:41pm
Glass-aholic

I bought a big new bottle yesterday... I portioned out some, and added a bit of water, after scouring for info about making the cream a bit more liquid here. All I found seemed like it should be fine. I will test the turquoise again tomorrow with out the diluted solution. I am going to be creating a little experiment i think... It did not even dawn on me now that I diluted it.. Still, All my other beads took 5-10min in the same solution.

(maybe we should just blame it on all this snow!! )

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-01-16, 12:49am
Salt Box Beads

I get soft velvety etches in only thirty or 45 seconds. 3 minutes top, but I do spend a lot of time really stirring the sludge in the bottom into the brown suspension liquid on top.

It takes me usually 15 minutes to really get the two mixed well. I find that if I do not do this I get streaked etch and shiny spots. I use a wood chopstick to mix.

My jar is 5 years old and the it still works great....if I mix it well enough. I bought it at Michaels Crafts.
Old 2011-01-16, 1:43am
Uh Oh....

Use the Etch-All cream type, instead of the liquid. It seems to etch all the transparent colors at the same rate so they all come out looking the same which is especially evident when more than one transparent color is used in a bead. Turquoise will etch and it seems to be softer, like you mentioned. I leave the cream on for 15 minutes. That's it. It's harder to use but I like the way the etch is more even and smoother. I still use the liquid for colors I know etch okay in it but for some colors the cream type seems to work better. At least to me.

Old 2011-01-16, 4:34am
Gonna get blow'd up!

I use EDP to fume my beads to a matte finish. I got tired of having different etches occasionally fail so I put the evil powers of EDP (evil damn purple) to work for me.

It doesn't look EXACTLY like etching, it's almost better with a sometimes iridescent quality depending on what glass you're doing it to.

Old 2011-01-16, 8:32am
Glass-aholic

I am using etch-all cream, from Michael's. It is not brown, and had an even consistancy even before I shook it up. I poured some into another container, added a few drops of water, and shook and stirred it with a 5/32 mandrel for a while. I also stirred it with the beads in it ever couple min for the first 15 min with the turquoise. All the other colors needed 10 min max.

I got a great etch on every transparent color except the turquoise. a nice soft even etch.

I will be making beads to test this morning, and test them later today and tomorrow. I am baffled....I will make a beads of every transparent color I have and compare the etch times, and chart their etching time. I did not think that med transparent turquoise was one of the ones that did not etch well.

On the subject of colors that do not etch well, lets turn this science project into something more useful to everyone else. Post colors you know will not etch here, and I will edit this post or start a new one with a list, and my findings on etching times. That way people will have something to go by.

Last edited by jaci; 2011-01-16 at 8:36am.
Old 2011-01-16, 8:39am
Glass-aholic

Stephanie, I will have to try the edp thing.. I have some just laying around that is evil...

Old 2011-01-16, 2:34pm
Nikki Haverstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperrein View Post
I use EDP to fume my beads to a matte finish. I got tired of having different etches occasionally fail so I put the evil powers of EDP (evil damn purple) to work for me.

It doesn't look EXACTLY like etching, it's almost better with a sometimes iridescent quality depending on what glass you're doing it to.
I am Not sure what you mean by fume with EDP.
Old 2011-01-16, 4:12pm
Salt Box Beads

Fume is a term used for thinly coating a bead with gold or silver to give it a high shine. It is something that needs to be done with really really good ventilation, it can be very detrimental to your health to do so otherwise.

So to read that copperrein does it with EDP and gets some desired results is pretty cool. I can't wait to try it out.

http://technorati.com/videos/youtube...%3DTmQGSLT3JuQ
Old 2011-01-17, 3:20am
Gonna get blow'd up!

You take moretti purple and hold it in the flame ahead of the bead you want matte and let it fume vitrification all over said bead (rotate target bead and turn it so you also get up by the Mandrel) It's fairly easy, just make sure you don't get the target bead too hot (super glow) or too close to the EDP because it wont work well.

Old 2011-01-17, 4:24am
Cherine Perrin Glass

Jaci, You would probably get better results using the liquid instead of the cream. Here is a link to it...
http://www.etchallstore.com/store/dip_n_etch.htm
The cream is great but I have found it is better for flat surfaces.

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2011-01-17, 8:54am
Glass-aholic

Thanks Cherine. I am sending off a few beads to another lampworker who uses an etching bath to etch her beads. I also made test beads last night, just pulled them out of the kiln I think I got most all my transparents done. I will be sorting and etching today, then making a few more test beads in troublesome colors to send out tomorrow. I know some colors do not etch. But I have never had any problem with this color before.. oh well i need a good science project!!! and I have not updated my color chart book in a while, this will let me fill in the gaps! (and give me something to blog about!!!)

Old 2011-01-19, 3:59am
Gonna get blow'd up!

Did you get a chance to try the EDP trick?

Old 2011-01-19, 7:40am
Glass-aholic

no I completely forgot when I was torching. I will write it down though (now) on my notebook that comes to the torch with me.

Old 2011-01-19, 4:32pm
Glass-aholic

I have a feeling that etching is like having to hold your mouth just a certain way, and have the moon be 3/4 full, in a spring cycle.... hummmmm

Today I was etching 2 beads, made with clockwork centers and fully encased in clear. THE SAME ROD OF CLEAR, beads were literally made on the same mandrel with the same glass.
They were etched at the same time, right next to each other, mixed them up, during the etching process a few times. They etched for 10 min.
ONE ETCHED< AND ONE DID NOT!?!?!!??!?
i dont get it.

oh well..........