Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-07-13, 5:02pm
Confused as usual

Thank you to all who have offered genuine help .
Old 2011-07-13, 5:27pm

I second frantz. I got almost 25 lbs of glass my last order because of the sales they have. Basically you can make your own sampler if you have the money and the free shipping is great. They changed the price to $100 for free shipping and you can still get a lot of glass for $100.

Also, Jazzara, if you want to try a little of everything, then howaco is great. She sells by the rod, and shipping is cheap and packed well! I kerned of them from nikki, of nlcbeads
Old 2011-07-13, 5:30pm

Forgot to add a link for you to Howaco!
http://www.howacoglasssupplycompany.com/104_coe.html
Old 2011-07-13, 6:20pm
My opinion not needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazarra View Post
Leslie do you really just go around reading all the threads and starting trouble on them all . I am so surprised no one else has noticed you do this . I have noticed it alot in my short time here . Do you actually even make anything with glass or are you just here for fun at the expense of others?
Just an FYI...when people hit "New Posts" at the top of the forum...yours show up just like everyones

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-07-13, 6:42pm
Duchess of Dichro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley View Post
Just an FYI...when people hit "New Posts" at the top of the forum...yours show up just like everyones
I guess Jazzara posted it then deleted that lovely post. You got no brains when you yap off to the forum owner.

Old 2011-07-13, 6:49pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Sample packs of whatever turns you on, brand-wise is a good place to start.
I had no idea where to start, so that's the road I went down at first.
And went from there.
Shorts and broken rods are often sold cheaply, and I still get them just to play with - there's often some great little surprises in those. In a good way, that is. They're also a good excercise in recognising different glass colours and types (always the same COE tho, in my limited experience), compared to what you've already got in terms of whole rods and colours.

And if you want to try some 'special' glasses, like silver ones, then just get a little bit.

And use information that's already here in these forums, including the Newbie ones in the Gallery, which often discusses various glass and their properties.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2011-07-13, 7:40pm
Cat herder

I'm self-taught (self-still-teaching?), but I'm learning that it's good to torch with someone who is experienced. They can teach you little pointers after observing what you're doing wrong, and can help perform a "post-mortem" on your not-so-nice beads.

No fancy signature yet.
Old 2011-07-14, 7:16am
Confused as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by essiemessy View Post
Sample packs of whatever turns you on, brand-wise is a good place to start.
I had no idea where to start, so that's the road I went down at first.
And went from there.
Shorts and broken rods are often sold cheaply, and I still get them just to play with - there's often some great little surprises in those. In a good way, that is. They're also a good excercise in recognising different glass colours and types (always the same COE tho, in my limited experience), compared to what you've already got in terms of whole rods and colours.

And if you want to try some 'special' glasses, like silver ones, then just get a little bit.

And use information that's already here in these forums, including the Newbie ones in the Gallery, which often discusses various glass and their properties.
Thanks I have found some wonderful people out here who are helping me pick some great glass to sample and play with and I just bought 10lbs. of shorts all 104 coe but it will be a surprise to see what they turn into when I melt them . I also plan to make stringers with the really short ones : )
Old 2011-08-04, 12:29pm

I'm pretty new to the lampworking world as well. If you are on a HH, I would not necessarily recommend CIM. Even on an oxy/propane torch I find it slow to melt, like it has a thick feel to it. Personally, I love CIM but wouldn't like it so much on a HH. My choice of glass depends on the task - if I'm practicing technique or just trying out new stuff - then I usually go to my devardi rods. If you work them on a lower heat they work nicely - plus don't feel like I've wasted a ton of cash as they run about 6 bucks a pound. Also, Natasha over there has some common sense and you can get tools there pretty cheap as well. I appreciate all the business I get and getting used to Devardi - at that price - to market to people who don't have a lot of money to spare. Now for regular projects more artistic, where I'm going to ask more for the piece then I'll switch over to CIM or Effetre - So for the HH I'd use Devardi for practice and Moretti/Effetre for my better stuff. One more thing - if you can work towards and oxy/propane - I definitely would recommend that as well. I was fortunate in that I started by taking a workshop where I could try both - hands down the HH was too slow for me. If you already have the cash and the space - a lot of sites have torches on sale right now.