Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-11-14, 12:03pm

Default Either taming or replacing Devardi glass

OK I am becoming a bit frustrated, I have some devardi glass and i swear it is getting even more shocky than the last time I bought ther glass. The rods are quite thick and even if I heat them in my rod heater\culrling iron thingy that I bought from them, they still seem to either explode or snap off about an inch above the flame. The reason this is comming upat all is that my rod heater died and I question whether I really want another one just for their glass. plust I really dislike how THICK their rods are Additionally, if you use their rod heater, the glass rod gets hot to about 1/2 way up so you invaribly burn you fingers and\or drop the rod when you move your hand any where near the 1\2 way point on the rod......Will annealing these rods in my kiln help or is that just a waste of time\money? Does anyone else carry simular colors expecially their intense black, cranberry and the Indian Marbled Glass- Butterscotch. They are great people (Devardi), with great colors and customer service and prices, but this issue is driving me away from their glass.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Old 2012-11-14, 12:33pm
Melting

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206663

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2012-11-14, 12:37pm
Storm Queen

Annealing the rods won't do anything to help. I'd just ditch it and go with Effetre and CiM if I were you. They have plenty of colors to choose from and most aren't shocky at all.

Old 2012-11-14, 12:54pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
I'd just ditch it and go with Effetre and CiM if I were you.
Well I can see I'm going to have to go get the popcorn!
Old 2012-11-14, 1:02pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Well I can see I'm going to have to go get the popcorn!
Why? I just gave her the advice she was asking for. No biggie.

Old 2012-11-14, 1:19pm
honorary bead lady

Yeah but you know the Devardi lovers are gonna jump on that
Old 2012-11-14, 1:40pm

Why would they? "jump on it" everyone has an opinion.
I have some and have not had a chance to really do anything with it.
I think we should all get a long. lol ,,, I know fat chance. But I can hope.
Old 2012-11-14, 2:32pm
Whatevs

I'm not going to buy their glass again for this reason. I love their tools, but the glass is just too difficult to use. The price isn't any better than frantz IMO, especially with the sales they always have.

Old 2012-11-14, 2:48pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherri View Post
Why would they? "jump on it" everyone has an opinion.
Apparently you haven't been here long enough.
Old 2012-11-14, 5:13pm

Quote:
OMG! I almost fell off the sofa when I read this thread. Too funny...precisely why I am mostly a lurker! I'm off to fix a bucket of popcorn myself! LOL!

Old 2012-11-14, 5:22pm

Quote:

Apparently not.
Guess I will go back to hiding.

Old 2012-11-14, 5:23pm

oh no, not again

devardi makes some really nice colors, their tools are decent, Natasha is a peach to deal with.

btw if you buy devardi's "stringers" they're much less shocky...but not really stringers just thin cane @ 5mmish.

imo, devardi is great if you know what your doing already, but for a beginner it's rough. there are too many things to worry about as a newb, the least of which should be rods exploding no matter how much you preheat or even anneal them.
Old 2012-11-14, 5:33pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Yeah but you know the Devardi lovers are gonna jump on that
True. If people want to buy exploding glass I say go for it.

Old 2012-11-14, 6:01pm
Wonder-wench

my limited experience with Devardi has been pretty much the same as yours, very shocky. I, personally, would not choose to buy more. That being said, I have found the best way for me to work it is with SUPER patience, either warming the end of the rod in the kiln or far out in the flame, then pulling it into stringers. Be warned that the now just melted end of the fat rod will be even more shocky (I didn't believe that was even possible, until proven several times) after it cools and so again MUCH PATIENCE is needed. Good luck.

Old 2012-11-14, 6:09pm
offically down under

Yes Devardi does have some lovely colors and Natasha is a peach but the glass, in addition to being shocky or, as I like to call it frit on a stick, also has compatibility issues with other 104 glass rendering it completely useless.

Using Devardi as a newbie is like learning to drive in an 18 wheeler or learning to fly in a 747.

Old 2012-11-14, 7:47pm
GLASS ADDICT

AGAIN?
damm i'm out of popcorn
Old 2012-11-14, 8:01pm
Uh Oh....

Without going into all the "stuff" about where the glass comes from, Devardi glass in general tends to be on the shocky side, doesn't matter if it's thick or thin rods. It's very frustrating to use glass that is spitting all over the place. That's why I don't use a lot of Effetre Anice White. It's too shocky. If you're a beginner it's much more productive to use some basic Effetre or CiM colors that are on the lower end of the price scale. At least you will be making beads, rather than fighting with all the popping glass or burning fingers. All brands have some colors that shocky, just not almost the whole color line.

Old 2012-11-14, 8:36pm
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherri View Post
Apparently not.
Guess I will go back to hiding.

OMG...Cherri, when "houpt" david says anything you should sing that line from Michael Jackson in your head..."you wanna be startin' somethin', ya got to be startin' somethin' " He is not to be taken seriously. If you go look at his posts you will see what I mean.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-11-14, 8:46pm
...displaced ocean lover

Wink

And to address the question asked, just as most of the others have done..

No one need get their knickers in a twist.....phttt....even the people who love it say it's shocky. ForGodSake...Devardi knows it's shocky. They sell A FREEEEKING HEATER just to pre-heat the rods.When I was new, I bought some Devardi and was shocked (yes, I said that) when I got the glass. It looked as if it had been drug across a dirty floor.

I am sure whomever it is that I could have called is NICE. But the question is HOW to use super shocky glass. Heating and annealing do not always work but the point is this....there are other rods of glass that do not require such tiresome remedies, so why not use those????

Some of the colors are really pretty. I have a pretty pink from them that I have annealed and pre-heated and I have NEVER been able to use even a quarter inch of it.

The fact of the matter is that if you are new you do not need to complicate being new with scary exploding glass.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-11-14, 8:51pm

I have some fat powder pink rods that are super shocky
I heat them to about 1000 * and stretch the entire rod out
it is less shocky
I agree with everyone that mostly this is not worth the time or danger involved.
Old 2012-11-14, 8:55pm
honorary bead lady

And so what do we have here? Devardi haters and Devardi lovers once again.
Like I said apparently she hasn't been here long enough.

Same shit different day!
Old 2012-11-14, 9:15pm

what am I ?
Old 2012-11-14, 9:53pm
GLASS ADDICT

Old 2012-11-14, 11:06pm
I speak Murrini!

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the Devardi...I have some of their gorgeous Transparent Cranberry and the rods are quite large in diameter, too! So large, in fact, that I'm kind of a chicken to use it! I was beguiled by the color though, and at $6/lb. I just couldn't resist...

I've seen some people who have great luck with it, but I agree with Susan's suggestion above - maybe sell the Devardi and get some regular effetre to work with. The flying frit has got to take a lot of the fun out of it

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2012-11-15, 1:26am
Unmedicated since '62

i was conned into buying some, the greatest pile of crap ever! i dont particularly care if i get flamed for saying so, its the worst glass anybody could possibly start with and anybody with any experience wouldnt bother either
i couldnt even bring myself to pass it on to somebody else for free, i threw it all in the rubbish
plain transparent or opaque colours in good brands like effetre are not expensive, i cannot fathom why anybody would inflict this stuff on themselves, the colours just arent that fantastic.

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-11-15, 7:58am
GLASS ADDICT

Well i apologize for laughing but like many of you i started with devardi and quickly moved on as to my leftover devardi stah i made a lot of frit and its great.Now thats all i use it for...................
Old 2012-11-15, 3:34pm
...displaced ocean lover

Deb...I know it's "trash" but it just sounds so cute if you call it rubbish!

Somehow I keep thinking we could "gobsmack" David but I guess that's just losing something in translation.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-11-15, 4:26pm

I mostly stick to boro but there has been so much bad written about this stuff that I am amazed that people still manage to buy it and regret the purchase. This stuff has to be the poster child for most complaints on a forum
Old 2012-11-15, 5:27pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
This stuff has to be the poster child for most complaints on a forum
And I guess SOME PEOPLE still don't get it
Old 2012-11-15, 6:20pm
Life is change. Love it

As I've said before if you lose over half of it on your work bench how could it be cheaper? Also, time is money for me, I'm not going to spend time f***ing around to get skinny rods, and I've never preheated a rod in my life.