Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2013-05-20, 7:58am
Mmmmm....Raku

Default From My Studio to Yours - Tutorial

Hi you guys. I'm so excited to announce that my new tutorial is now available in my Etsy shop!

Here's the link... Tutorial

Here's the information....

PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU PURCHASE: Because all of the bead designs contained in my notes use silver glass, it is strongly recommended that you work on a surface mix torch that uses both oxygen and fuel for best results. You should have a good knowledge of working with various striking and reduction glass colors. Other techniques mentioned in the notes include encasing, raking, twisting the glass with a stringer and threading glass onto the surface of a bead. It is also assumed that by purchasing this tutorial, you have a good knowledge of all the basic safety precautions associated with making glass beads on an open flame torch.

"From My Studio to Yours" is not a step-by-step tutorial showing you how to make just one bead, but more of a collection of photos and studio notes for some of my favorite lampwork bead designs using silver glass. I will show you a total of 62 of my favorite bead designs, listing all the glass colors used to make the beads along with a brief description of the steps I took to make the beads. I've also included technical notes on the subject of encasing your beads, getting to know your glass and how to work with Dalai Lama, (including link to a video) and Raku.

Although my studio notes are written with the intermediate bead maker in mind, the color combinations and techniques I cover would be of interest to all skill levels.

Glass referenced in these notes include both 104 COE and 96 COE soft glass.

This is an Instant Digital Download of a PDF File that you will need a PDF Reader program such as Adobe Acrobat Reader or Nuance PDF Reader to open. Upon payment, you will be able to download this file directly from Etsy.

You have permission to use these notes as inspiration for making and selling your own beads, but I do ask that you not share these notes or attempt to reproduce them in any form other than printing a copy for your own personal use.

The file size is 7.52MB, and contains 89 pages with over 80 photos.

This digital file download is non-refundable.

Copyright © 2013 Dawn Scannell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nortel Minor with one Concentrator
Old 2013-05-20, 8:00am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

It's an absolutely gorgeous tutorial just chocked full of info! And the price is phenomenal for the amount of info!

Old 2013-05-20, 8:04am
Angie09

OMG ... FINALLY!!!! I have begged for private lessons but .... at least now there is a tut!! I'm on my way to buy it right now!!!! Thanks Dawn ... your beads are gorgeous!!!
Old 2013-05-20, 8:33am
Loving learning

This is making me think about opening a Paypal! Want!!!
Old 2013-05-20, 8:56am
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post
It's an absolutely gorgeous tutorial just chocked full of info! And the price is phenomenal for the amount of info!
Aww...Thanks so much, Amber!

Old 2013-05-20, 8:58am
Mmmmm....Raku

And thanks so much to the rest of you who have already purchased a copy!
I'd love to know what you all think of it!

I'll be checking back........

Old 2013-05-20, 9:57am

I have always greatly admired your style of beads and have been an avid follower of your auctions, so this will be a real present to ME!

Thanks, Dawn!

Barbara
Old 2013-05-20, 10:01am
Angie09

OK....this is (for me) the most gorgeous group of beads I have ever seen in one tutorial. Absolutely stunning! I couldn't be happier to get an idea is how to try and do what you do Dawn. I have admired your beads for the time. Thank you for taking the time to do this! I'm off to buy whatever I need.
Old 2013-05-20, 10:43am
Mmmmm....Raku

Thank you so much, Angie & Barbara, for such nice comments!

Old 2013-05-20, 2:07pm

Wow! What a generous gift of your experience you have given us!

Extremely well written, lots of extra notes, and beautiful photography.

This will be my go-to tut for all the silver glass I haven't been able to work yet!

Barbara
Old 2013-05-20, 2:54pm

Does your shop always look that perfect? It' great! I spent more than an hour with my stupid printer and it still printed crappy. But Dawn's pictures are Awsome. All the beads we've been druling over.
Old 2013-05-20, 6:02pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28676bhe View Post
Wow! What a generous gift of your experience you have given us!

Extremely well written, lots of extra notes, and beautiful photography.

This will be my go-to tut for all the silver glass I haven't been able to work yet!
Awww! I'm blushing!

Old 2013-05-20, 6:10pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Does your shop always look that perfect? It' great! I spent more than an hour with my stupid printer and it still printed crappy. But Dawn's pictures are Awsome. All the beads we've been druling over.
Not always... But I do try to clean it up every few weeks.

So sorry about the printer. Mine died a few months ago in the middle of printing a shipping label. I went to WalMart and picked up an Epson Stylus NX330 Printer/Copier/Scanner for $69! It's an amazing little printer for the price!

Old 2013-05-20, 6:20pm
artiegirl

Thank you Dawn for sharing your knowledge, I have always admired your work.
Old 2013-05-20, 6:48pm

Dawn, this is a wonderful tut. Have just glanced thru it and can't wait to play
Thanks for sharing!

[url="https://www.instagram.com/nohlineartjewelry/]
Old 2013-05-20, 6:51pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Thanks so much, you guys! I really hope you enjoy it!

Old 2013-05-20, 7:23pm

So sorry about the printer. Mine died a few months ago in the middle of printing a shipping label. I went to WalMart and picked up an Epson Stylus NX330 Printer/Copier/Scanner for $69! It's an amazing little printer for the price![/quote]

This dumb thing is a scanner, I've never used. A fax machine, I've never used.
And this dumb printer that is making the pics with lines thu them. and uses a ton of ink. I think I'll look into a cheaply. Thanks
Old 2013-05-20, 8:47pm

Amazing!!!!!! I went straight to the torch after reading this!!!!!!

Old 2013-05-20, 9:03pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Thanks so much, Autumn! I'm so glad you're enjoying it!

Old 2013-05-20, 11:48pm

Just purchased...also, my first post. Love all your beads. YOU are trully amazing. Read the entire Raku thread and was so impressed, not only with your beads,Dawn, but others that followed that thread also. Hope to be able to post some of my own photos soon.
Old 2013-05-21, 12:04am
Mmmmm....Raku

Thank you so much, Carol!
I can't wait to see your beads!

Old 2013-05-21, 5:26am
Queen Tut ;)

The minute I saw this tutorial, I had to buy it. I have loved your beads and admired your generosity when I asked you question (ages ago, but I remember lol).

Love it! Can't wait to get to my torch after work today. I knew there was a reason I was squirreling away all my silver glass...subconsciously I knew this tutorial would be coming out.
Seriously, fabulous pictures...that alone is worth the price. What a nice bonus that you explain how to make what's in the pictures lol

-Jenne

Old 2013-05-21, 8:37am
Mmmmm....Raku

Thank you so much for your kind words, Jenne!
I'm so glad you're enjoying the tutorial!

Old 2013-05-21, 3:11pm

Just wanted to say...Double Helix glassworks has Aether and Zephyr in their bargain bin for a good price...it is seconds, but what the hey!!! Besides 'free shipping'...now who can resist that!!! Went through the whole tutorial...now to get started. Thumbs up, Dawn!!!
Carol
Old 2013-05-21, 3:35pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Thanks so much Carol! I'm so glad you're enjoying the tutorial!

And I LOVE the Double Helix Seconds. They also have Clio Dark and Clio light seconds available with quantity discounts. I haven't tried the Light yet, but I LOVE Clio Dark!

The only thing better than beautiful Silver Glass is DISCOUNTED beautiful Silver Glass!

Old 2013-05-21, 6:17pm

That is for sure, Dawn! I ordered the Clio dark and also some of the Ekho seconds...more money saved...more glass bought!!! Now to get to the torch!! I also ordered some RAKU from OCR as it was on sale...but the shipping is a killer...ate up all the savings.

BTW I batch anneal...I use "annealing beads" until I have a good enough supply of beads to anneal. My kiln is a Jen-Ken 11 inch hexagon with a top opening. Am I going to have to anneal as I make the beads like you do or will the batch anneal work for the beads in the tutorial...I read somewhere in the thread on Raku that batch annealing is not really good with this type of bead??

Thanks for your kind responses and the beautiful photos of beads!! Carol
Old 2013-05-21, 6:34pm
Mmmmm....Raku

You know, Carol, I honestly don't know how batch annealing might affect beads made with silver glass. I've always gone right from the flame to the kiln. I know a lot of people still batch anneal, but I've just never trusted it.

Maybe someone with experience in batch annealing silver glass beads could chime in?

I would just recommend annealing as you go just to be on the safe side. It would be a shame to lose a pretty bead made with expensive glass.

Old 2013-05-21, 8:37pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Carol, from my experience, batch annealing with silver glass can be done - the difference with silver glass is the temp...you anneal at 920 degrees with a longer soak. If you go hotter, you might lose all your pretty color. It's actually best to put them right in the kiln in my opinion but at 920.

Old 2013-05-21, 9:18pm

Thanks, Amber! You are another one of my favorite "posters"!! In fact, I have been making your dragon scale beads and tiger stripe beads. I will post some photos on that thread soon. Thanks for chiming in on the batch annealing. I actually have another kiln...an old paragon, i think, and it has a drop down door with a hole in the door that has some kind of fire block that can be removed. It actually works really good but isn't connected to my digital controller. I'll try using that if i can regulate the heat to stay at the annealing temp.

You both rock the bead world
Old 2013-05-21, 9:37pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Yes, thank you Amber!
I knew someone would come to my rescue.
I don't know anything about HotHeads or batch annealing, and I think sometimes that puts me at a disadvantage when it comes to answering those kinds of questions. The closest I ever came to batch annealing was when I started my kiln one day and didn't notice I had a few beads left in it until it was ramped all the way up!