Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2008-10-01, 2:18pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

The piranha uses more oxy than a cricket - it almost has to given that (from what I have seen posted) the cricket was specifically designed for use with the lower flows typical with oxycons.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-10-01, 2:21pm
Sheila

I just sold my Piranha because I liked the Cricket better. I still have one Piranha on an M-10 (5 lpm), and I can test to see if either torch does what the two of you describe. Exactly how did you have it set? What size candles should I have before I crank up the oxy? If you give me good detail, maybe I can reproduce it on the Piranha and try the same thing on the Cricket. I will say that I seriously doubt the Cricket will do it, but I am willing to try.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-10-01, 4:15pm

Thanks Sheila! I'm running my propane at 4.5psi by my regulator and my oxy is turned all the way up on the concentrator. I usually work with candles that are about 1/4" long with a small amount of yellow at the tip. If I turn the oxy up from there for a more oxy rich, higher heat flame, or just to get a finer tip on my flame, it will work for a bit, and then I'll get long yellow candles coming out - I think the torch is consuming the oxygen faster than the oxycon can produce it. I would think that if the Crickett is designed to run on less oxygen in the first place, this might not be such a problem.

Old 2008-10-02, 11:27am
Sheila

Hmm, I couldn't reproduce the problem. Maybe the difference is the concentrator. I run my propane right at 5, and my concentrator is set a tad below the 5 mark (the max). Sorry I can't be more helpful. Because I can't reproduce the problem, I couldn't say if the Cricket would be better. My gut feeling is that it would, though. I can get an oxy flame on one concentrator--something I could not do with the Piranha.

Old 2008-10-02, 12:16pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

So I'm confused. I thought the the cricket was sort of their version of
a minor.

What's the difference between the cricket and the minor?
Does one work better on a concentrator?
I have a 5lpm concentrator and I've been doing boro
on that - but I'd like to have more heat sometimes.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-10-02, 12:26pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
So I'm confused. I thought the the cricket was sort of their version of
a minor.

What's the difference between the cricket and the minor?
Does one work better on a concentrator?
I have a 5lpm concentrator and I've been doing boro
on that - but I'd like to have more heat sometimes.
The Cricket is made to work on concentrators. I don't know what that means, exactly. I'm assuming it has to do with the size of the ports, but I'm not sure. But whatever it means, it puts out more heat on a concentrator than standard torches (like the Minor) do. It also puts out more heat on tanked oxygen than a Minor.

•
•
•
Old 2008-10-03, 3:27am

Ordered mine today. Now I'll be stalking the UPS man until it arrives!

Old 2008-10-03, 6:22am

I ordered mine a couple of days ago ..... can't wait to play with it!!!

Lindy

Old 2008-10-03, 11:08am
ManBearPig

Anyone know what the wait time is on a Cricket? Just standard color...

•
•
•
Old 2008-10-03, 11:42am
Present tense

Don't know the wait time, but I e-mailed my order a couple of days ago and haven't yet received any acknowledgement or phone call for payment info. Don't know if that's standard procedure for them or if I should call.

|
|

- non-glassy de-stash (shoes, books, yarn, Coach)
Old 2008-10-03, 1:12pm
Bigger, longer, and uncut

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthandsky View Post
Don't know the wait time, but I e-mailed my order a couple of days ago and haven't yet received any acknowledgement or phone call for payment info. Don't know if that's standard procedure for them or if I should call.
Tiffany, I e-mailed GTT on September 28, I received a reply on the 30th telling me that they would contact me by phone, and as of yet have not heard from them. I figure that they're rather inundated with Cricket orders right about now!

Old 2008-10-03, 2:02pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Yeah, I won one. I emailed them on the 29th, called today and was asked to call back Monday. They are swamped!

Old 2008-10-03, 2:19pm

I have a betta and would love more heat. I think I read somewhere that someone used a betta and then the cricket and they got more heat is this true? I want to do more boro but it just takes alot of time to melt larger rods of clear and to get color.

Old 2008-10-03, 2:20pm

When I ordered mine yesterday, Cindy did say the wait time on a "standard" one was shorter than on the custom color ones.

Old 2008-10-03, 4:26pm
Present tense

Quote:
Originally Posted by evvybuns View Post
Tiffany, I e-mailed GTT on September 28, I received a reply on the 30th telling me that they would contact me by phone, and as of yet have not heard from them. I figure that they're rather inundated with Cricket orders right about now!
Thanks for the info. I thought they may be running behind, which is why I have been hesitant to harangue them.

|
|

- non-glassy de-stash (shoes, books, yarn, Coach)
Old 2008-10-03, 4:56pm
WildBird Beads

I got mine this week and will be playing this weekend.
I like the fact that the fuel tubes are larger. I had a Cheetah once and boy, I hated the fact that I had to clean it all the time and the holes were sooo tiny.
Now maybe I can get my daughter to come and "play" with me.

WildBird
Old 2008-10-03, 5:28pm

I was at Hot Time in the Mountains in Asheville last week where I got to work on a Cricket for the better part of three days. What a great torch! It was plenty hot and the flame was easy to control. I worked both soft glass and boro. I'm certainly getting one for me and am toying with the idea of one for each station in my classroom.

Old 2008-10-03, 10:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bead crazy View Post
I have a betta and would love more heat. I think I read somewhere that someone used a betta and then the cricket and they got more heat is this true? I want to do more boro but it just takes alot of time to melt larger rods of clear and to get color.
I have a Betta and a Cricket, I think heatwise they are about the same but the Cricket flame seems a little more determined! The flames are about the same size too.
I do find the cricket slightly ahead in useability for me. Cricket wins hands down in sexiness, just a lovely looking torch. Betta looks a bit 'downhome' by comparison.
Old 2008-10-04, 5:41am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kym View Post
I have a Betta and a Cricket, I think heatwise they are about the same but the Cricket flame seems a little more determined! The flames are about the same size too.
I do find the cricket slightly ahead in useability for me. Cricket wins hands down in sexiness, just a lovely looking torch. Betta looks a bit 'downhome' by comparison.
Plus, the Cricket is about 1/3 the price of the Betta, which is $370. And figure that you have to pay $100 more for the Betta if you want the base (???), and you can get 3 Crickets for the price of a single Betta and still have money left over.

I can't see why anyone would buy a Betta now that the Cricket is available...

•
•
•
Old 2008-10-05, 10:28am
Spell check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalflipz View Post
When I ordered mine yesterday, Cindy did say the wait time on a "standard" one was shorter than on the custom color ones.
I also called on 10-2 and the guy that answered asked if he could call me back in 20 min. He called back and took my order info for 1 sparkle purple Cricket and said they should have more sparkle purple crickets ready to ship by the end of next week ( 10-10). I was also told that i would receive a phone call just prior to shipment, just to update me on when it will be sent out. I had to use a credit card to order cus they don,t take paypal yet. They did say that they are working on setting up a paypal act. When i was on the phone with them i could hear people in the background using tape guns on boxes. I am waiting patiently for my new sparkle purple Cricket..... not!!
I just hope the UPS guy can find my house.
Nice people at GTT.

Elaine

Last edited by nitefire; 2008-10-07 at 6:59pm.
Old 2008-10-07, 10:39am
Boro Brat

I had a betta before and in my experience, it didn't even come close to the output of the cricket when run on a single 5 lpm concentrator. I never ran the betta on 2 oxy cons, so I can't give a comparison in that, but if you run a cricket on 2 oxy cons you'll think your burning through a k tank...and that's not something I ever believed was possible until I saw it for myself

Old 2008-10-07, 10:53am

Think Pipyr would notice if I went to her house & swiped her cricket & concentrator?

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-10-07, 11:03am
Evil Glass Enabler

Thumbs up

Mmmm. Probably but you're more than welcome to come to Texas and use ours. Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
Think Pipyr would notice if I went to her house & swiped her cricket & concentrator?

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2008-10-07, 3:08pm

I haven't run the Betta or the cricket on 5lpm concentrator, I have only run them on about 8lpm OG so there is probably a difference in results there. On the OG they both run the same, more or less. Less on the Betta, more on the cricket. But that is just impressions, not measured for accuracy

Kym
Old 2008-10-07, 8:32pm
M & D Designs

We have a cricket hooked up at the store, and everyone wants to work on it. They leave the minors and the mini cc alone. The cricket get nice and hot.
Old 2008-10-07, 11:21pm
Boro Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
Yeah. I would. Of course, you know you're always welcome to come and PLAY!!!

Old 2008-10-10, 11:51am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Okay, you Bo-ho's talked me into one (like it really took much talking ).
I've got one on order (sparkly purple, of course).

I'm guessing since it's been about 5 years, I should also change out my
hoses. Can anyone tell me where's the best place (online) to purchase
T-grade oxy/propane hoses?

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-10-10, 11:55am
Gay rights R human rights

I just ordered mine too.....YAY!

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2008-10-12, 9:43am
She better not sell these

I have an SS Minnow that will work boro, has a great range when it comes to flame size and control, and is happy to run on 3 lpm oxy, but really wants to have at least 5 psi propane. Has anybody with a Minnow compared the cricket to their minnow?

I love my minnow, but could use another torch for travelling and the cricket sounds like the perfect travel torch.

I went to GTT site, and have more questions, since color of the torch doesn't really affect what the final bead looks like, I want more info than they give.

What is the port set up?

Is the base included? If not, how much is the base?

My minnow is soooo easy to clean, takes just a few minutes at the end of the day, how is the cricket for cleaning?

#T53
"I love making lampwork beads, one at a time, with a Cricket or Minnnow burner on 5LPM oxycons".

Last edited by twiggyinaz; 2008-10-12 at 9:52am. Reason: typos
Old 2008-10-12, 11:17am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggyinaz View Post
I have an SS Minnow that will work boro, has a great range when it comes to flame size and control, and is happy to run on 3 lpm oxy, but really wants to have at least 5 psi propane. Has anybody with a Minnow compared the cricket to their minnow?

I love my minnow, but could use another torch for travelling and the cricket sounds like the perfect travel torch.

I went to GTT site, and have more questions, since color of the torch doesn't really affect what the final bead looks like, I want more info than they give.

What is the port set up?

Is the base included? If not, how much is the base?

My minnow is soooo easy to clean, takes just a few minutes at the end of the day, how is the cricket for cleaning?
The base is included and is easy to clean.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.