Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-06, 8:02am

Default Large Beads Cracking

I searched the forum and could only find info on this when using vermiculite. I am using a kiln.

I am still learning; I can make small, marble sized beads OK. I decided to see if I could make a little bit bigger ones. I made 3. They all were cracked in two when I got them out of the kiln.

Did I not cool them in flame long enough before putting them in the 960 degree kiln? Or could I have let them cool too much?

I'm not sure how to know if the bead is cooling too much or not enough before I put it in the kiln. I realize it's a learning process, but is there something I am not doing or missing that might make it simpler to know?

Thank you,
Old 2012-12-06, 8:10am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

It sounds as if they were cooled too much, try warming them up really well in the tip of your flame, they should glow slightly when you put them in the kiln.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-12-06, 8:12am

You're probably letting them cool too much. As soon as they're not droopy they're ready to go in the kiln. You can also try going straight to the kiln and continuing to rotate through the bead door (if you have one), just until the glow goes out. For simplicity's sake, I'd try going into the kiln as quickly as you can, and if the bead droops you know you've over-corrected.
Old 2012-12-06, 8:26am

Thank you, I can see now that I am for sure letting them cool too much before putting them in the kiln.

Just for my information, about how hot is the bead when it it still slightly glowing? ...just wondering.
Old 2012-12-06, 8:56am

Hold it under your table or workspace, somewhere where it is dark and it should have a nice glow to it all the way through. Also, make sure that throughout the "building" process, you are taking the time to warm it through. Especially if it has a lot of detail work.

Old 2012-12-06, 11:13pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post

Just for my information, about how hot is the bead when it it still slightly glowing? ...just wondering.
http://www.warmglass.com/Basic_Process.htm
Old 2012-12-07, 12:36am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
Thank you, I can see now that I am for sure letting them cool too much before putting them in the kiln.

Too hot to touch

Tags
cracking, large beads crack