Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-07-23, 8:30am

Default Help for close up torching

I recently got some new Rx dydidiums.
I screwed up and didn't get bifocals.
AAAAaaaargh
Now I need something I can flip down for closer work while lampworking.
Does anyone have a suggestion?
I have an old headband thingy, but it is really funky. The padding has fallen off, and I don't know what the strength is anymore.
I would like to get something a little better quality.
Any suggestions??
Old 2008-07-23, 9:03am
Glass-aholic

the sticker bifocal parts might work. they have them at walmart/wallgreens (i think), you just peal-n-stick them onto you glasses.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-07-23, 11:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
the sticker bifocal parts might work. they have them at walmart/wallgreens (i think), you just peal-n-stick them onto you glasses.
Like these?
http://www.artcoinc.com/optx2020.php

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2008-07-23, 11:07am
novembersfyre everywhere

I wasn't able to find the stick on lenses locally so I ordered them here:

http://www.stickonbifocals.com/

They came in two days, shipping is free and I think they take PayPal.
I love them! I can see everything clearly again. I ordered two different strengths to see which ones worked better and so far I'm fairly happy with the lower of the two but I have the option of using the slightly stronger ones also!

Old 2008-07-23, 12:21pm

Couple of ideas from Harbor Freight:

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...word=magnifier

Although, the one I like slips on the bill of a baseball cap and you can flip it up out of the way. Maybe we got it at Northern?

Old 2008-07-23, 9:01pm
Glass-aholic

Thanks Malcolm! I knew I saw them somewhere!!!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-07-24, 5:58am

Can I take this one step further?

I am near-sighted with 56 year old eyes! I no longer can wear contacts so I do have the progressive bi-focal glasses . I wear them under the dydidiums. Now thats fun.
When I get frustrated the only way I can see things when I am torching and attempting to make placement of a stringer etc.is to take OFF my glasses .

Sometimes I think it is due to the very small space that the bi-focal actually occupies on the lens itself. Sometimes I am just constantly blinking trying to see more clearly.
I am getting new specs this week and I am also considering getting rx dydidiums.
Would you guys recommend trying the paste on things first? Did you put them inside the dydidiums ?

Anyone else have this problem?

The Harbor Freight thing looks interesting but wouldn't it be heavier than things already are??

Thanks so much for any help!
Anne

Old 2008-07-24, 6:12am

I bought clip-on didys for my RX bifocals - Love Love Love them. They are heavy, but not as bad as wearing two complete pairs of glasses. Got them at Heritage Glass.

Sals
Old 2008-07-25, 8:00am
Gentleman of Leisure

I tried Google search for "clip on reading glasses"...

http://www0.shopping.com/xGS-Clip_On...kin_id-8008905

Plenty of options and sources out there...

I personally use something like these...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00014VX1A?...0&linkCode=asn

This looks interesting.... But is probably plastic and may melt...

http://www.amazon.com/Reading-Magnif...f=pd_sim_hpc_5

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2008-07-25 at 8:03am.
Old 2008-07-25, 9:45am
Peerless Thread Killer

They have Neoptx stick-ons, which I can't live without, at a 2-for-$26.95 at the following site:
http://www.optx2020.com/

Old 2008-07-25, 9:49am
Ad astra per aspera

I looooooooove my Optx stick-ons! I've gone through 3 changes, now, and they're always excellent. I'd tried clip-on magnifiers for a while, but kept seeing annoying reflections from in-between the two lenses.

Old 2008-07-25, 10:14am
I speak Murrini!

I personally use the "Clip and Flip" ones as linked in Dale's post above; I "stumbled" across them while cleaning out my studio a few months ago (I had purchased them years before when I was doing silversmithing!). They make such an amazing difference - and the strain on my eyes (or lack thereof) makes lampworking and detail stuff so much more fun!!! I will say, though, that the "clip" part - although fairly secure - doesn't tolerate too much bumping, so if you tend to push your glasses up on your face regularly, take them on and off often or bop them around, the stick on ones maybe work better. Malcolm's ones look pretty intriguing - although I take a 1.25 strength, which I don't see at Artco but Optx seems to have.

~De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-07-26, 9:23am

I didn't have any luck with the stick on ones I bought. They wouldn't "stick" on & kept falling off. Years ago I bought a pair of wire framed diddys that had a magnifier set of lens that would flip up and down. I loved them. I tried to find a new pair but don't have the faintest idea where I purchased them ( about 7 years ago) If anyone know's what the heck I'm talking about or where to find them please let me know. I need a new pair
Liz R

MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut
Old 2008-07-26, 9:29am
Covered in glitter

I tried the ones Dale recommended too. My problem is I'm a little nearsighted in one eye and very farsighted in the other so they don't work. I do know people who use them and love them!

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2008-07-27, 12:11am
Mary Lockwood

I use the stick-on ones and love them.

I can't get any of the clip-on flip-up jobs to fit on my dorky goggles.

I can't get boro flip-ups to fit them either (and I've tried them on in person) which sucks because I have to buy a whole other pair of glasses for boro.

Wish they had stick-on boro shades. LOL

~~Mary

Old 2008-07-27, 4:44am

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/ec...op/desktop.htm

click on the first lamp (its black and first on the list) to see a bigger pic.

This is what I use for my nearly 50yr old eyes and I just use regular didy's. I take off my glasses and put on my didy's to torch and have no problems anymore. When I light the torch, I just swing it out of the way and pull it back in when I am ready to start. I can see realllllly little things now!
A godsend to me anyway. You can also get them at hair supply salons because I think they use them to do fingernails in salons. You can get them to clamp on your table, as a desk lamp or on wheels as a floor standing model.

Cheers
Kym
Old 2008-07-27, 5:19am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarabella View Post
I bought clip-on didys for my RX bifocals - Love Love Love them. They are heavy, but not as bad as wearing two complete pairs of glasses. Got them at Heritage Glass.

Sals
I have looked at the clip ons and have a question....probably a stupid one at that....
As the goggle diddy's have a peripheral type coverage do you miss that feeling when you are just wearing your glasses with the clips? Do you feel you have enough coverage for eye safety??

Anne

Old 2008-07-27, 5:24am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kym View Post
http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/ec...op/desktop.htm

click on the first lamp (its black and first on the list) to see a bigger pic.

This is what I use for my nearly 50yr old eyes and I just use regular didy's. I take off my glasses and put on my didy's to torch and have no problems anymore. When I light the torch, I just swing it out of the way and pull it back in when I am ready to start. I can see realllllly little things now!
A godsend to me anyway. You can also get them at hair supply salons because I think they use them to do fingernails in salons. You can get them to clamp on your table, as a desk lamp or on wheels as a floor standing model.

Cheers
Kym
This looks interesting Kym! Thanks for the suggestion. It says the size is 5 1/2 inches. Is that the glass size or the whole outer rim also?
I wonder if it could clip on to my vent hood from above? I use a creation station and I need all the space I can get for my very disorganized table top. Maybe this would prompt me to be less scattered.

Anne

Last edited by anne225; 2008-07-27 at 5:27am. Reason: add'l info
Old 2008-07-27, 11:59am

Anne:

Consider buying a shield. Then you can wear your glasses and look through the shield. You do have to get used to working with the shield though because it sometimes gets in the way unless you can mount it on a shield above your work space.

Ruth
Old 2008-07-27, 12:10pm

5 1/2 inches is the magnifying glass size. They come in different dioptres ( magnifications ) too. I used it because someone gave me one but it was so good, I wouldn't be without it now. You should be able to get a second hand one from somewhere if you look around.
I haven't used a blast shield but they are probably ok too though they are fixed. I don't know about vent clamping, they are made to be upright so the design may come into it and make them hard to mount upside down.
I have a creatin station and lots of mess too!
Cheers
Kym
Old 2008-07-27, 5:20pm
offically down under

I have the clip on Diddy's and they work great. Except, even with my bifocals I don't have enough magnification. So, for $10, I bought a pair of reading glasses which I stack over my other glasses That way, I can see everything in the right dimension. I was taking Sarah Hornik's class and she thought I looked pretty weird so she took this shot.

Old 2008-07-27, 5:57pm

I had same problem. What I did was get clip of didys and got two pair of glasses. One strictly for working at the torch for close up work and the other for everyday. Considering how cheap you can pick up a pair of glasses these days it was well work the extra $40.00 for the special pair.