Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-09-13, 12:09pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Most silver glass - the ones that strike - need a LOWER temp, not a higher one. Pandora is unusual that way. I would recommend lowering your kiln temp for most silver glass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-09-13, 1:13pm

Thanks. Sorry for heading off topic. I went the wrong direction.

No wonder there was no change.
Old 2008-09-13, 1:42pm

I have an AIM kiln with the same thing. the heating coils are at the top and the bead door is at the bottom. Pandora bear was made in that kiln at 960 degrees for 4 hours. I would say to leave it longer. The first time I used pandora, I put it in at 1050 in my boro kiln and I got brick red when it was done. So, I wouldn't go higher but you could leave it longer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-09-13, 1:47pm

Cool. Thanks Rachel.
Old 2008-09-13, 4:48pm
still in my jammies

These were garaged at 940 for 5 hrs., then annealed at 950 for 1 hour (my regular annealing schedule). I formed the beads just like any regular Effetre bead I might make... I didn't strike them, didn't reduce them... just shaped them and popped them in the kiln. So easy! When they went in the kiln they looked sort of transparent olive green with a few opaque green streaks.
The last two beads on the right are encased (with Vetro clear)... I like the color better. It's a little lighter but still very vivid.

~
~
~

Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties. -Erich Fromm
Old 2008-09-13, 6:06pm
Catnip Pusher

I was wondering about encasing Pandora - I tried a lotus bead, but didn't get anything on the first run through the kiln (about 3 hours). I put it through a second time yesterday, for about 6 hours. The areas that had a bit of color got darker, but the areas that have little or no color still have no color! I did a couple of other Pandora beads, unencased, that I had no problem striking.

I'm thinking encasing will be problematic, depending on how thick the encasing is. I'll post pics on Monday. Tummy's bad today.

Aimee
Old 2008-09-13, 7:05pm
Rare Florida Native

Thanks everyone for sharing your tips and pic's - my glass just came today and I cannot wait to try it out in the morning

Old 2008-09-13, 11:32pm

Well, I made up my mind: this glass *IS* unpredictable.

Did a set of beads today, did everything exactly the same as yesterday. Even used the same glass combination: Triton and Pandora.
Result after 4 hours at 960: nothing! Green semi-translucent streakiness. No purples, no blues.

However - A few small complementing rounds with Pandora only developed the same dark purple as the rounds yesterday.

Started the kiln up again and hopefully will see tomorrow morning something else than green streakiness.

Old 2008-09-13, 11:51pm

If my beads which I made with Pandora glass stringers today don't look good tomorrow when I get them out of my kiln I am going to make up the rest of my Pandora rods into shards to give them a good start and from then on use only shards.

Last edited by Carols Glass; 2008-09-14 at 9:17am. Reason: change of heart
Old 2008-09-14, 9:14am

Ok, here is the verdict. I'm very happy with everything except one bead I made on ivory and saw the blackness and decided to not make a set out of THAT!

But I did a lot of beads, some with encasing and some without and I must get more of this glass!!!!

Jed, you did promise to never stop making this glass, right?

I had my kiln set on 900 while garaging and 940 when annealing for 4 hours. I do think my kiln is hotter than it reads.

I'll show pics soon.

The white heart I put back in went to a green and red though , but that is ok because it was a test bead.
Old 2008-09-14, 12:56pm

I have been reading this thread and nearly bought some of this glass last week. I can understand the "making the beads at the beginning of the torching time" and the fact that you may torch for 4-5 hours so the first ones sit in the kiln for awaile.
I don't understand how you put them back in the kiln for another go around the next day without them cracking.....when do you put them in? When you turn the kiln on or when the kiln is up to its cycle temp?
I use a preprogrammed cycle that was on my kiln from AS and have always been to hesitant to touch it. It plays around at 956 to 965 throughout the time I torch and then ramps down, soaks etc..total cycle takes about 4 1/2 -5 hours.
Would this be acceptable to attempt to get this glass to do its thing??

Thanks....
Anne

Old 2008-09-14, 1:14pm
I speak Murrini!

Anne:

I put mine back in when the kiln is cool and I'm doing the initial ramp up (full speed). This didn't seem to cause any cracking and although I think I left them in there too long (6hrs.) and at too high a temp. (960) the color went from the green to the dark purple so I know there's a "between" somewhere in there that I'll eventually find.

I'm pretty sure that Kevan said, when she did her amazing Goddess, she annealed for 4 hours at 940...I must try this and not get carried away. This just might be the recipe that works for me.

~De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-09-14, 1:16pm

Default encased Pandora

I'll just post my favorites from last night. My Pandora encased big hole beads.

Can't wait to make more!!!
Attached Images

Old 2008-09-14, 1:17pm
I speak Murrini!

Oooo, Carol! Delish!!! Can you please share your annealing time and temp? Thanks...

~De

Old 2008-09-14, 1:39pm
I speak Murrini!

Don't want to bring the thread "down", but these were my first results - not real happy with any; must try the "KEVAN" schedule next (4 hr. annealing/940 degrees):

Pandora base with dots - went to sleep:

Clear base, Pandora dots, encased - also went to sleep:

Ivory base, Pandora dots - so very dark!

With all of these beads, each was made and annealed for 6 hours at 960. They pretty much did nothing the first time round (all had mostly the olive green color to Pandora, except for the Ivory/Pandora bead, which went to a mud brown). On the next kiln session, I put them into the cold kiln, did full ramp, left to anneal again during my next lampworking session, and they were in there for a total of another 6 hours before ramp down. This is what you see here. Strange how the encased dots stayed SO PALE, and the surface dots go SO DARK!!!

~De

Old 2008-09-14, 1:47pm

DeAnne,

I wasn't taking credit for "KEVAN'S" schedule, you asked me and I told you and that just happens to be what my kiln has been set on for ages now and with a Wide Guy kiln it is for me a complicated procedure to change it all.

I've deleted my post giving you my answer to your question above.
Old 2008-09-14, 1:53pm
In search of her path....

omg this is such a gourgeous glass dangit i wish I could torch! gurmbles...I have to get some of this when I get a chance to torch again its just so lovely.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2008-09-14, 1:55pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadDesignsByCarol View Post
DeAnne,

I wasn't taking credit for "KEVAN'S" schedule, you asked me and I told you and that just happens to be what my kiln has been set on for ages now and with a Wide Guy kiln it is for me a complicated procedure to change it all.

I've deleted my post giving you my answer to your question above.

She didn't mean anything negative by what she said in her post - Deanne would never do that.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-09-14, 2:00pm

I would like to say that this is "KEVAN'S" schedule, just read post 56, please

Hers is 960 for 4 hours.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...pandora&page=2
Old 2008-09-14, 2:03pm

It's not important, it's just the capital letters and quotations around Kevan that's all, lol!!!
Old 2008-09-14, 2:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Don't want to bring the thread "down", but these were my first results - not real happy with any; must try the "KEVAN" schedule next (4 hr. annealing/940 degrees):

Pandora base with dots - went to sleep:

Clear base, Pandora dots, encased - also went to sleep:

Ivory base, Pandora dots - so very dark!

With all of these beads, each was made and annealed for 6 hours at 960. They pretty much did nothing the first time round (all had mostly the olive green color to Pandora, except for the Ivory/Pandora bead, which went to a mud brown). On the next kiln session, I put them into the cold kiln, did full ramp, left to anneal again during my next lampworking session, and they were in there for a total of another 6 hours before ramp down. This is what you see here. Strange how the encased dots stayed SO PALE, and the surface dots go SO DARK!!!

~De
lol, see the capital letters?
Old 2008-09-14, 2:09pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I saw them, but she didn't mean anything by it - I know her and trust me, she didn't.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-09-14, 2:11pm

ok, thank you. I think you are right, squid
Old 2008-09-14, 2:19pm
Always smiling, again.

Got some from Bill the other day, going to go try this color out! cross ya fingas

Old 2008-09-14, 2:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Oooo, Carol! Delish!!! Can you please share your annealing time and temp? Thanks...

~De

This was really a nice compliment, thanks DeAnne!
Old 2008-09-14, 2:43pm

De's too much of a sweetheart to be negative

Been playin with this stuff. Will try to get pics soon.
Old 2008-09-14, 2:57pm
Storm Queen

Five hours at 970 and then an hour at 980 and then a slow ramp down and my bead came out the color of the rod. I'm guessing that it over struck back to rod color and I need less time in the kiln?

Old 2008-09-14, 3:16pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

hmm..... I would expect it to overstrike and be dark muddy colors. Perhaps put it back in the kiln and try 960 for 4 hours and see what happens?

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-09-14, 3:38pm
I speak Murrini!

My bad! Carol, if I hurt feelings or anything, I sincerely apologize. I believe yesterday was my personal official "OPEN MOUTH, INSERT FOOT" day!!!

The reason I called it "KEVAN'S" was because for some reason, it was her post - along with her Goddess - that made this schedule stick in my mind. Frankly, now that I scroll through the thread, I probably should change my reference to the "ELLEN/LARA/JED&JULIE/CAROL/KEVAN/and a few others I'm sure I missed" schedule (giggle!), but at this point, I'm just so hopeful to find the "RIGHT" schedule, at least for me!

Your beads came out pretty neat, Carol. As you saw in my post, as soon as I encased my large dots in clear, they fell asleep at the wheel! Not sure what I'm doing wrong!

At least some of you are having great success with it! Keep the pics and info. coming! I haven't given up yet....

De

Old 2008-09-14, 3:44pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
hmm..... I would expect it to overstrike and be dark muddy colors. Perhaps put it back in the kiln and try 960 for 4 hours and see what happens?
I also had the bead nearest the heating element as well. I'll stick it in the middle of the kiln just for fun and try what you suggested. I was really hoping I would pull out a pretty purple water lily bead....

Tags
pandora, strike