Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-08-17, 5:23pm

Default Double Helix Pandora??

Anyone heard any new about a new color from Double Helix called Pandora? If so have you tried it? If you've tried or tested it how did you like it? I've seen a picture of a paddle of it and it kinda looked like gray poo, but the descriptions says that it strikes purples and greens and possibly some red too. I know I haven't received a newsletter from DH and it is not available on their site either.

Oh the lure of new colors, what a terrible addiction!!
Old 2008-08-17, 5:27pm
A True Woofer

I bought some at the Gathering and haven't tried it yet. It is a kiln-strike color, so you have to soak it at annealing temperatures for like 4 hours to bring out the best color.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-08-17, 5:34pm

Thanks Ellen, would definitely love to see what it looks like cause I'm an impatient person and having to soak beads for 4 hours seems like a bit of a pain.
Old 2008-08-17, 5:40pm

I bought some "Pandora Light" at the gathering (I think it is an odd lot, but I don't know), damn, I thought I had bought one light and one regular. I should have pictures later this week. It was difficult to strike in the flame, but it is to strike in the kiln, so we'll see.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Become a fan on Facebook:

Last edited by Lara; 2008-08-17 at 6:06pm.
Old 2008-08-17, 5:40pm

I just made the beads I wanted to out of it first, then popped in the kiln, therefore they have the long soak time.

Old 2008-08-17, 5:49pm

I'm a dealer and I haven't been contacted about it yet either. I bet they are really busy between kids and the Gathering.

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-08-17, 7:08pm
Broken

It's gorgeous!! It kiln strikes so the paddle wouldn't be a good way to judge the color. Ididn't do 4 hours maybe about 2 for mine and i got gorgeous purples and blues! I love this glass!

Old 2008-08-17, 11:37pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Pictures Nicker geez.....we want pictures!

Old 2008-08-18, 4:06am

Yes please please please, with a cherry on top??
Old 2008-08-18, 8:10am
Broken

Sorry no pics, I am too busy trying to get reayd for the Bash and Glass Stock

Old 2008-08-18, 8:20am
Normal is Boring!!

I watched Lewis at the gathering do a sculptured figure out of the Pandora. It was a pretty green with hints of purple and blue as he worked the glass. After it was kiln struck it went to a pretty purple blue color.
I bought lots of the glass but haven't got a chance to play yet. It's gonna be a love hate glass I got a feelin".

~
~

Antique Brass Findings

Old 2008-08-18, 8:24am
Gimme that silver glass!

Oh sure, why not make me really poor? I want pics, it sounds amazing!

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-08-18, 8:42am

Darn, Now I want some of it to.

Rose Leslie
Old 2008-08-18, 9:37am
SierraCatz

I used it (Pandora 2) this weekend over apple clear and I got lovely greens and reds..will take a picture and post later. I didn't see much while working on it and considered it a lost cause but it came out of the kiln with nice colors...I soaked mine about an hour.

Barbara -
"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea!" Unknown
Old 2008-08-18, 10:59am
Color Outside The Lines!

Default Pandora

Here are some Pandora Pics for you. The green paddle is Pandora before it has been kiln struck. The purple paddle is after.

Pandora is a kiln striking color, no flame striking required. We recommend kiln striking for 4 hours at 1000 F or you can strike at your regular annealing temperature for a longer time. You could also put it through multiple annealing cycles.

We had a pre-release at the Gathering with our first few batches. We'd love to see your photos!

We will have a full release in a few weeks when we have enough made.

And we are definitely busy with glass and children!

Thanks
Jed and Julie at Double Helix Glassworks
Old 2008-08-18, 11:49am

I bought the Pandora light and the Pandora, LOTS of it.
Initially I was dissapointed as the style or techniques I use I really need to see what I'm getting while I'm working.
So I used it differently then popped it in the kiln and got some amazing colors when it finally popped out of the kiln.

I'll try post some pics later if I get time. Still trying to play catch up since the gathering. So many new glass colors to play with and I haven't had time to play.

Old 2008-08-18, 2:35pm
Gay rights R human rights

ACK!!! As I scurry off to revise my bash shopping list yet again!!!
Just asking....but how much per lb? and will there be any at the bash?

bravo torch with 2 ex20's

Last edited by tiggybubba; 2008-08-18 at 2:50pm.
Old 2008-08-18, 4:33pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

ohhhh how purty!

Old 2008-08-18, 5:37pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

that looks yummy - I love that it has green streakiness instead of the brown that so many other silver striking glass has.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-08-18, 5:41pm
Rose colored glasses…√

I'd have to anneal mine several times; I never anneal that high or for that long.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2008-08-18, 9:05pm

I get back to my studio tomorrow and I'm so excited to see how my beads turned out. OH OH OH OH Can't wait. How many more hours until the sun comes up.

PS - my studio is not at my house. SIGH

Old 2008-08-18, 10:46pm
Gimme that silver glass!

Jed and Julie, if I encase pandora, will it also strike in the kiln under the encasement or not?

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-08-19, 1:23am

Oh.my.Gaaaaawd!
Jed, I hope you're making LOTS of it!

#D57

Old 2008-08-19, 1:49am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Helix Glassworks View Post
Here are some Pandora Pics for you. The green paddle is Pandora before it has been kiln struck. The purple paddle is after...
What the...(bleep!)? How flipping gorgeous is this? Curses...I already had a Million reasons why I regretted not getting to The Gathering...make that a Million and ONE!

~De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-08-19, 1:52am
Most have those beadies

I want that glass, it turns purple

my
my

my
my

Old 2008-08-19, 5:10am
Calendar Girl

ok, so how can I get me some of this stuff???

Old 2008-08-19, 5:37am

I think Ross over at www.abrimagery.com might still have some left. I'll wait till Double Helix has it on their website as you pay a little more at abr if you only buy a quarter or half pound.
Old 2008-08-19, 7:57am
Broken

I encased mine and still got the gorgeous purple color.

Old 2008-08-19, 8:35am
A True Woofer

I tried it this morning. I can't wait to see it when it comes out.

Old 2008-08-19, 2:41pm
Dances With Fire

ellllen! you didnt put this in my hand ! hehe...I need to see your beads! oh no...I dont need more glass...but this is soooo purty~!

Wouldn't it be nice if, whenever we messed up our life, we could simply press " Ctrl Alt Delete" and start all over?

Tags
pandora, strike