No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-04-12, 9:07am
Jacqueline Parkes

Default Let's talk about Lentils

I own the graduated pressed lentil from Cattwalk and I love it. But I am doing something wrong that is driving me crazy. I can't make rhyme or reason of it.

After I press I get the nice dimple on the right side but not on the left. I have tried everything I can think of to fix this issue. Anyone else have this experience?

Is it not enough glass on one side, too much on one , or ? or?

I tried to solve this on my own but I give up, help!

Jacqueline

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-04-12, 9:17am

When that happens to me I add glass to the side that didn't dimple. Works for me. Hope this helps. Doesn't happen to me all the time. Just sometimes.
Old 2009-04-12, 9:24am
Jacqueline Parkes

I am making floral lentils so I can't add glass to the bead after the florals are made. I will try again to add more glass to the left side before creating the flowers and see what happens. Thank you.

This is happening to me to each and every bead now but it didn't before and I have orders to fill, yikes!

Anyone else have some imput?

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary1_$ View Post
When that happens to me I add glass to the side that didn't dimple. Works for me. Hope this helps. Doesn't happen to me all the time. Just sometimes.

Old 2009-04-12, 9:25am

Yep, add using a stringer just on the edge that needs the glass. Slightly tilt down while melting it in, just heating the side that needs it.

For florals it's a matter of doing enough of them to kind of know at LEAST how much glass to put on at first. Then if you've already done that, your other option is to heat one side and tilt down as I said above. I also add more flowers to the side to get more glass on. I always put a few flowers on before I press then add more where I need glass, after pressing. This helps to even things out.

Last edited by Rose; 2009-04-12 at 9:28am.
Old 2009-04-12, 9:41am
Dichro Addict

Make sure your bead is centered in the press cavity before you press. Also, I try to preshape the bead with the press cavity before actually pressing. Gently push the bead into the base of the press, turn it over and do the same to the other side. Wiggle it down into the press a bit so you are doing a lot of the shaping and forming without actually pressing it. You can move the glass around and make sure everything is distributed evenly. Then when you have it close, gently reheat and do the final full press to even it all out. I hope that makes sense.

Old 2009-04-12, 9:47am
Jacqueline Parkes

When you say tilt down, do you mean so the side with no dimple (left side) is lower than the right side with the dimple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
Yep, add using a stringer just on the edge that needs the glass. Slightly tilt down while melting it in, just heating the side that needs it.

For florals it's a matter of doing enough of them to kind of know at LEAST how much glass to put on at first. Then if you've already done that, your other option is to heat one side and tilt down as I said above. I also add more flowers to the side to get more glass on. I always put a few flowers on before I press then add more where I need glass, after pressing. This helps to even things out.

Old 2009-04-12, 9:49am
Jacqueline Parkes

You make a lot of sense and I have been doing just that. I just continually end up with one good end and one bad.

Funny thing is, I had this occur when I was making my encased round floral beads too. I wonder if I tend to hold the mandrel up on one side more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenorasdesigns View Post
Make sure your bead is centered in the press cavity before you press. Also, I try to preshape the bead with the press cavity before actually pressing. Gently push the bead into the base of the press, turn it over and do the same to the other side. Wiggle it down into the press a bit so you are doing a lot of the shaping and forming without actually pressing it. You can move the glass around and make sure everything is distributed evenly. Then when you have it close, gently reheat and do the final full press to even it all out. I hope that makes sense.

Old 2009-04-12, 9:49am
Jacqueline Parkes

So in conclusion, no dimple on the end means not enough glass? I just want to make sure I have this understood.

Old 2009-04-12, 10:29am
I like to melt things

I only have this problem when
1) the glass is not evenly distributed on the mandrel before I press, and
2) I don't centre the mass in the press cavity before I press it.

You don't have to have 'enough' glass to get nice ends because you can deliberately press not-enough glass and still get good results. It's all about making sure the mandrel is evenly coated and then that you press it evenly.

-
-
Old 2009-04-12, 11:58am

Yes, tilt down so the glass flows to the end without the dimple.

When making floral lentils I don't always have dimples. BUT, I never have pointy ends. There is somewhere in between that makes a nice end. You need enough glass there so that nothing chips away and has a nice look.

I never have dimples when I press because if I did, after I added more flowers there would be too much glass. When you roll your bead in the press before pressing look and see if you need to reposition the glass by tipping it and reheating, or adding a bit more glass.

This is one of those things that the more you make the better you get. I think I also have one side that is always off, too. PPP

Old 2009-04-12, 12:42pm
Dichro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
You make a lot of sense and I have been doing just that. I just continually end up with one good end and one bad.

Funny thing is, I had this occur when I was making my encased round floral beads too. I wonder if I tend to hold the mandrel up on one side more...
How do you encase? Left to right? Is it the right side that has enough glass and the left side that doesn't? If so, put an extra wrap of clear on the left side. This happens to me all the time. I encase left to right and there is always extra clear on the right side.

Old 2009-04-12, 12:44pm
Dichro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
So in conclusion, no dimple on the end means not enough glass? I just want to make sure I have this understood.
Yes, I agree with that. Since you are getting the dimple on one end but not the other, I think you just have more glass on one end. You may have enough glass in the bead. It's just not balanced or you're not getting it in the middle of the press.

Old 2009-04-12, 1:01pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

I always keep a small stringer of the color of glass that will make the dimple, if I'm encasing it's clear. If one dimple is off, I put 3 tiny dots on each side of the lentil near the mandrel and kind of scooch them over with my brass knife and press again with heat only on the ends. I had the same problem as you for the longest time, a centered lentil with just not quite enough glass on one side. For me the lentil has always been the hardest press to use and get consistent results, I much prefer the graduated button and lozenge and so do my customers.
Old 2009-04-12, 4:58pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Today was a very bad bad day! I was ready to throw all my glass and torch off the balcony. It was so depressing to have each and every bead turn out like crap. I spent about ten hours practicing, reading, thinking etc.

Thank you for all of your responses.

Now for the good news.

I figured it out!

For anyone that is having issues with lentils, this is what was going on for me.

My initial bead was too wide. Also, it was not fat enough. So I narrowed the bead and added more glass to the middle. Ta da!

Phew.........now I am too exhausted to finish my orders but there is always tomorrow.

Old 2009-04-13, 5:37am

One thing that I do...since I have an issue with the lopsided and horizontal mandrel....I use a middle dip on all my mandrels and have the ability to hold either end...and both at the same time if needed. At least it works for me.

Anne