No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-08-05, 6:08pm
I fart diamonds

Default Cheapest Best Tool Ever

The thread in the Family Room about Holly's paint spatula got me to thinking about all the really great cheap tools I have.

Best cheap tool #1: #2 pencil. Great for poking dots, flowers, etc. (glass doesn't stick to graphite/lead) $0.39 for a box of 12 and I'm still using the same one I started with 4 years ago.

Best cheap tool #2: Spackle knife. Probably my most used tool (I like it better than the razor blade tool). I use the sharp edge for "cutting" and the flat side for marvering. I recently sharpened the edge and now I'm really in love. I sometimes catch myself caressing it... (Just kidding!!!) I bought a pack of 3 from Harbor Freight for $1 about 4 years ago. I use the smallest one.

So what are your favorite cheap tools?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by shawnette; 2009-08-12 at 7:26am. Reason: dyslexic spelling
Old 2009-08-05, 6:17pm
da General

I received this from Maria Louisa as a gift but it's the best tool! For only 2,50 euros (about US$3.75), it's a steal. Not sure how much shipping is from the Netherlands to the US tho.

http://www.beadpress.nl/stempelwinke...roducts_id=325

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-08-05, 6:36pm
I fart diamonds

What is it? It almost looks like a scribe. If so, you can get those at Harbor Freight, too. (Yes, I am a total tool whore.)

Old 2009-08-05, 7:18pm

Smile

I took a 12" piece of brass strip, it measure 0.64x1/2" size , used my grinder to make brass knives for using on the Surf and Turf tut of Becky Mason and Diane Woodall tut that I bought. It was enough brass for 2 knives. Put a sharp edge on them . I paid $2.89 for the brass strip- got 2 knives. Added a handle , it works for me.
Found the brass at K&S Metal website. Love this website for making tools.

Last edited by Janetlee; 2009-08-05 at 7:19pm. Reason: typo
Old 2009-08-05, 8:06pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

A little 99 cent bait knife that Kate Fowle Meleny passed out in her class. I LOVE LOVE it!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-08-06, 3:45am

I bought a pack of wood carving tools for like $12. I use them all the time. There is a curved one, that you could use to make a smile on a face, but I use it to push glass over, when it's a curved design, like a dot, so you don't distort the curved edge of the dot as you're tucking in an edge or something. I also use this one for the lines on my elephant's trunks. There is one with a tighter curve, too. It came with some straight edge tools, too. I really get a lot of use out of them. They had a very thin coating (of something?) on them that burned off during the first use (I have good ventilation), but nothing since. There were about 6 tools in the pack.

Old 2009-08-06, 4:02am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCollie View Post
I took a 12" piece of brass strip, it measure 0.64x1/2" size , used my grinder to make brass knives for using on the Surf and Turf tut of Becky Mason and Diane Woodall tut that I bought. It was enough brass for 2 knives. Put a sharp edge on them . I paid $2.89 for the brass strip- got 2 knives. Added a handle , it works for me.
Found the brass at K&S Metal website. Love this website for making tools.
A lot of hardware (Ace, True Value, etc.) and hobby stores have K&S Metal displays so you can most likely get stuff like that locally (including stainless rod and tubing for mandrels). I'm always in my neighborhood Ace.

Old 2009-08-06, 6:19am
ManBearPig

Gravity.

Can't beat free...

Old 2009-08-06, 7:26am

I have a set of embossing tools from Michaels that have different sizes of little stainless balls on the ends of them. They are hand for flowers, and nostrils, and other rounded indentations on beads. They were maybe $6 for a set of 4 or 5.

And using a metal hanger to make a free marble holder. I don't remember where I read it, but it works really well.
Old 2009-08-06, 7:47am

I LOVE my steal chop sticks that Donna at the Mandrel gave me. I use them to flatten tiny dots for the nose bridge of glasses on my fish and owls, and poke holes in flowers. They are not sharp but have a tiny little flatness to the tip.

Old 2009-08-06, 8:15am

dental tools from the local flee market. hmmm, just had a thought, I'm betting your local dentist is throwing some old ones out and would be glad to give them away instead. I'm guessing you could even sharpen them with a knife sharpener.

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2009-08-06, 8:37am
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
What is it? It almost looks like a scribe. If so, you can get those at Harbor Freight, too. (Yes, I am a total tool whore.)
No, not a scribe. I don't know what metal it is made out of - it doesn't stick to glass as readily as steel so I use it to shape, to poke, to rake etc.

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-08-06, 9:38am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
No, not a scribe. I don't know what metal it is made out of - it doesn't stick to glass as readily as steel so I use it to shape, to poke, to rake etc.
If 'it doesn't stick to the glass as readily' I'm betting it's tungsten.

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2009-08-06, 9:56am
RAH!

I think my embossing tools, £3 off ebay for 4 different sizes- little stainelss steel sticks with balls ont he end. they're awesome for petals!
Old 2009-08-06, 11:38am

Metal cuticle pusher - they're getting harder to find, but one of my faves until Brian made me a new one in brass.

Dental tools my dentist saved for me.

Harbor Fright pliers.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2009-08-06, 11:57am
da General

Donna - it doesn't feel like tungsten but then I am no metallurgy expert.

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-08-06, 12:01pm
Never give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
A lot of hardware (Ace, True Value, etc.) and hobby stores have K&S Metal displays so you can most likely get stuff like that locally (including stainless rod and tubing for mandrels). I'm always in my neighborhood Ace.
O.k. back the train up a little. Tubing for mandrels?? Your talking with the hole in it. Do you mind if I ask what size you use and what material they are?? I am really interested in making glass ornaments. Thanks
Old 2009-08-06, 12:14pm

Thanks Shawnette,
We have those stores here too. But the K&S Metal tubing and brass is more expensive. I have found K&S at my local hobby store owned by a elderly couple.
The tubing is the 1/4" size in hollow and solid and stainless steel. Great for the cored beads.
I still can get it cheaper off the website.
Thanks for sharing the info .
Janet

Last edited by Janetlee; 2009-08-06 at 12:31pm. Reason: typo
Old 2009-08-06, 12:17pm
I fart diamonds

Stainless steel. They have several sizes, from 3/32 on up. The most common size used 1/4" stainless tubes for hollow mandrels.

Old 2009-08-06, 8:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegem View Post
I bought a pack of wood carving tools for like $12. I use them all the time. There is a curved one, that you could use to make a smile on a face, but I use it to push glass over, when it's a curved design, like a dot, so you don't distort the curved edge of the dot as you're tucking in an edge or something. I also use this one for the lines on my elephant's trunks. There is one with a tighter curve, too. It came with some straight edge tools, too. I really get a lot of use out of them. They had a very thin coating (of something?) on them that burned off during the first use (I have good ventilation), but nothing since. There were about 6 tools in the pack.
After a tip about smilies (was it you?) I found a wood carving set for AR$7 (7 Argentine pesos = US$1.80)!! That was a bargain!! I'm just starting to play with them but I see lots of potential. Thanks for the tip!

A pencil!! That too is a good one. I even have drawing pencils with no wood on them.

You are all so clever!
Old 2009-08-06, 10:05pm
It's all about the color.

I'd like to add a metal ice cream scoop to the list.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2009-08-07, 12:23am
Unmedicated since '62

a set of dental tools i pinched from my DH tool box (he'll never miss em)

a razorblade tool i made by embedding a blade in the end of a piece of wooden dowel

a sharpened piece of fencing wire that just right for plunging flowers

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2009-08-07, 3:30am

OMG I love the ice cream scoop idea!

Lynda, I bought a tool like the one you're describing and I paid about $15 and I only got one! It's two-sided, but still....

Old 2009-08-08, 2:58pm
Never give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
a set of dental tools i pinched from my DH tool box (he'll never miss em)

a razorblade tool i made by embedding a blade in the end of a piece of wooden dowel

a sharpened piece of fencing wire that just right for plunging flowers
Don't count on it. I borrowed my husband's, and darn if he didn't catch me. Might want to hind them. Ha Ha!
Old 2009-08-12, 6:42am

Okay...keep backing up that bus. Do I understand athat if I can find that K&S stand and they have 1/4" tubing it will be usable for my big hole beads and I will be able to core them also?

Sorry.....sometimes it takes me a few days to take this all in!

Anne

Old 2009-08-12, 6:48am
I fart diamonds

Yep! Make sure you look for the Stainless display. It's seperate from the copper, brass and steel and looks like this:

Last edited by shawnette; 2009-08-12 at 6:51am.
Old 2009-08-12, 7:09am

Default Fav Tool

This is my fav tool. It is a Lead Dyke Knife for cutting lead came for stained glass. Good ones are hard to find now... I've had mine for about 8 years. What I like best about it is it acts as a paddle and has lots of blade so I can sculpt and push each time using a fresh spot so the balde never gets hot enough to stick. Adds a lot of speed if you work boro big and hot.
Ron Jr.
Old 2009-08-12, 7:16am

I learned this from Lucio.... A cheese cutter. I like the one on the right best....

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...t_adv_XSN10001

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2009-08-12, 8:07am
Booger #7

my exacto knife and tweezers from walmart that have a scoop on the end. I use the flat part of the scoop to push down dot and the tweezers for flower petals!

Old 2009-08-12, 9:13am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Donna - it doesn't feel like tungsten but then I am no metallurgy expert.
LOL! My computer translator reads the description as "Appetite pen with straight point". Does it make you hungry??

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid