Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2010-12-05, 12:40pm
Salt Box Beads

I didn't read all of the posts but I'am going to say this:

My original post was to Carols Glass, my post was polite and voiced a different opinion, she read it and replied also with a very polite post. I understood that she had made up her mind. I understood where she was coming from and why she choose to NOT shop there.

Any other LE member could have done the same thing just as graciously.

I realize this has become a 'swooper thread" with people swooping in on the band wagon to bash Lorraine...blah blah blah, been there done that.

I don't know how many times I have to repeat it, but I stand by my original words which were polite and stated a different viewpoint. Totally allowed on Le.

So if it makes you feel good to turn this into a trounce Lorraine thread BRING IT. Doesn't affect me one way or the other.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MERRY CHRISTMAS
Old 2010-12-05, 1:29pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

"I stand by my words...We will just have to agree to completely disagree on this issue. Now I'll shutup, and leave your thread alone..... "

Pat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-12-05, 2:42pm

I am not going to comment on much of this thread except to say that I bought fron Glasscraft several times before I was a vendor (and before the merger) and never had a problem. I know Dave W has an excellent reputation. I am friends with one of his employees and she would do anything to help you. I also understand not being happy with the response that the OP got. I wouldn't be either. Dave now has the chance to make things right. If he doesn't then we would all like to know. But I bet he does!! Maybe both parties can win here. The OP by being made whole and Dave by learning about a problem and making some changes....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2010-12-05 at 3:52pm.
Old 2010-12-05, 3:43pm

Whatever happened to the customer is always right?

Liz

Old 2010-12-05, 4:55pm
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Whatever happened to the customer is always right?
Having been on both sides of the equation (I literally grew up in a family business, and learned the ropes of many of its aspects), I honestly think it should be almost always right.

I'm NOT commenting on the OP, I think she did things appropriately.

However, imagine this. It's the morning of December 24. You have a customer who has several items in storage in your warehouse who calls requesting that one of the items (not just a box, a specific item IN a box) be removed and delivered to her. Your employees are all looking forward to the traditional bonus check, thank you very much, and have a good holiday routine, which usually involves closing at noon. (Winter is the slow season for moving households anyway.) The last thing you want to do is send someone to play find the needle in the haystack with just a few hours left in the anticipated workday. We had two large warehouses. Finding which warehouse her stuff was in, no problem, clearly marked in her file. Finding where in the warehouse is equally simple, for the entire amount. Finding the specific box...nope, not possible. Maybe if she'd had 4 or 5 boxes, but no, she had most of a normal homes' worth of stuff (at least 50 different boxes).

We told her no, gently. She was disappointed, but understanding. We offered to do a search after the holiday, but she declined.

So....what did she want so much, you wonder????

Her "good" dentures. Mom always wondered what she did the rest of the year.

Mind you, she did this EVERY Easter and Christmas for 4 or 5 years. She never seemed to comprehend that we really might have been able to help her IF she'd called a few days sooner.

Old 2010-12-05, 6:06pm
frenetic crafter

So I got a call from Dave this afternoon - he's not at work this week, but next week, he's going to call me and go over the issues I had with a few people from the other stores. I really feel like all they need is a few well placed words on their website - all of this could have been fixed if I was told that I would be paying shipping from both places / if they had x much stock to send, they wouldn't be telling me that my order was short.

This gives me a neat opportunity - if anyone else has had issues with Glasscraft, let me know and I'll bring them up in the conversation. I do feel like most of their orders are for boro, but after the conversation I had with Dave today, I feel like he really wants to be a reliable and competitive soft glass supplier. I'm all for healthy competition between reliable suppliers, so I'll be using this conversation to suggest changes that can make Glasscraft a supplier that I'll go back to. I'd love to offer you guys the opportunity to have your problems heard through me.
Old 2010-12-05, 7:36pm

I'm glad you said something emkay.

Karen
Volkano Exotik

ripzz
Old 2010-12-05, 9:12pm

What's wrong with the mandrels? I just ordered a bunch right before reading this.

I had read down to the part about splitting the shipping. I was glad to know to look for the box to check to prevent double shipping charges.

I also ordered some clip on Ace 202 glasses. They are a great price and I am looking forward to ditching my old didys. They are so clunky!

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by." Douglas Adams
Old 2010-12-05, 10:16pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
"I stand by my words...We will just have to agree to completely disagree on this issue. Now I'll shutup, and leave your thread alone..... "

Pat
Old 2010-12-06, 7:13am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
What's wrong with the mandrels? I just ordered a bunch right before reading this.
I had read down to the part about splitting the shipping. I was glad to know to look for the box to check to prevent double shipping charges.

I also ordered some clip on Ace 202 glasses. They are a great price and I am looking forward to ditching my old didys. They are so clunky!
The word (or unword, I'm sure it's not in the dictionary but it's descriptive) 'bendy' comes to mind. They seem to be of a softer metal than I'm used to, I don't know what they are made of.

I have 80 of them.
I'll get what use I can out of them. I really need to break down and start making my own but I'm lazy.

Old 2010-12-06, 8:17am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

I've ordered from Glasscraft a couple of times recently - just glass - and had no problems at all. The second time they didn't have enough glass to fufill the quantity I ordered of one color and a lady from the company actually called me to see what I wanted to do! (I was impressed)! The glass was wonderful and packed very well - all arrived in fine shape. It did take awhile to get the glass, but I chalked that up to it being primarily a boro shop. I agree too with several in this thread that it is the company's responsibility to police its own operation - not the customers. The owner should already be aware that issues exist - if they don't have a clue, then they need to come out of their office and spend some time out on the floor or in the warehouses where business is being conducted and see/hear for themselves what is going on - and they need to do this frequently and unannounced. If a company REALLY cares what kind of experience their customers are having, a few "secret shopper" type forays might be in order. Sales down more than the economy would predict? Check your sales/customer service/distribution departments!!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2010-12-06, 10:16am

Quote:
I am sometimes a grumpy old lady. If you want grumpy old lady money then you need to line up grumpy old lady customer service.

Old 2010-12-06, 11:21am

Really, you shouldn't have to talk to more than one person to get something like this resolved, and their is no excuse for a customer service rep to be rude. I wouldn't want to have to track down umpteen different people to get a simple issue resolved.

Quote:
Please don't let one incident ruin your chances of getting in on doing business with a great company.
Listen to the other posts about talking to Dave. He may clear this up and it may have been just one bad sales clerk who will "taken Care" of.

Dave may not even know about this.....once he does he will take care of it.

It is important NOT to run to LE until you have exhausted all means of getting satisfaction with an order gone wrong. Not fun but it is necessary.

Telephone call(s) not just one to a grumpy unfriendly clerk. Phones calls all the way to the top even if that is a half dozen, e-mails, etc. After a week or so of waiting and NO satisfaction, no correspondence etc...
THEN come to LE and post your story.

Sorry if this seems harsh but too many good business are not given a chance to make good before people come posting on LE and as in the quoted post above they have lost a customer. JMHO

Old 2010-12-07, 11:48am
><>

Quote:
That's what I like. I like colors and I use different colors all of the time. I find the tone of your comment rude. What does it matter to you what I color I use and what type I use?

Lorraine
No offense or smartassery intended here but, FWIW, it's hard to read.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2010-12-08, 6:52pm
Salt Box Beads

That's interesting, for my eyes it is easier to read, in part why I use the italics.
Thank-you Jhana for your perspective. It is something for me to consider.
Old 2010-12-08, 6:58pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
No offense or smartassery intended here but, FWIW, it's hard to read.
yep - very. I often skip posts if they are hard to read.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-12-08, 7:53pm
I'm a lilac!

I have to say, I think that the split shipping is a very bad business idea. It's one thing to pay shipping for a backorder, but if you want to run a mail order business, run a mail order business. If you want to run retail stores, run retail stores. If you want to run both, run both, but don't stock your mail order business from your retail stores.

Old 2010-12-09, 6:08pm

Oh man, bad news about the mandrels! I ordered several dozen! I hope they hold up because I need them to be absolutely straight or they don't work well on my mandrel spinner! I haven't tried them yet; can anyone else let me know how they work. I do have to say that they were really dirty (greasy or covered with oil). I hope I didn't waste my money! Maybe you do get what you pay for!! I'd be interested to hear comments from anyone who has used these (3/32 mandrels).

Old 2010-12-09, 7:33pm

You need to clean the grease off with grease cleaner. Then you need to sand the ends to get everything to stick. That's pretty standard from my experience. But after they have been in the kiln I find them to bend on the ends as I try to get the beads off. I've never had that problem before.

Old 2010-12-09, 7:40pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
You need to clean the grease off with grease cleaner. Then you need to sand the ends to get everything to stick. That's pretty standard from my experience. But after they have been in the kiln I find them to bend on the ends as I try to get the beads off. I've never had that problem before.
This has been my experience as well.

Old 2010-12-09, 7:55pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Hmmmm.... I'm much too lazy for that. I've never had to clean grease off of mandrels. Maybe knock down a burr end or two but that's it.

Old 2010-12-09, 9:33pm
needs creative tagline

I also got a couple dozen mandrels. I always wipe new ones off with alcohol and that seemed to work fine on these as well. After seeing the comments that they bend easily, I decided to try a tip I read in another thread about putting used mandrels that had gotten soft into the kiln, bring up to temp, then quench in water to harden them up. Well, 2 out of the 24 actually got bent (A LOT) during this process. Not sure if they bent in the kiln (I had them leaning at an angle) or while I pulled them out to dunk or what, but it doesn't bode well. It will be at least a week before I can try the others out to see if they stay straight while using but I will try to report back then.
laura

Facebook -

Lynx with OGSI-15 and big holding tank, Redmax on tanked, and National 3b that swings both ways...
Old 2010-12-09, 11:41pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

The color of them is completely different than other mandrels I've bought. It's like the steel is slightly chalky or something. Hard to describe...but they are definitely not the same quality as the ones I've bought in the past. Then again, they were cheaper so I guess I got what I paid for.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2010-12-10, 9:18am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
The color of them is completely different than other mandrels I've bought. It's like the steel is slightly chalky or something. Hard to describe...but they are definitely not the same quality as the ones I've bought in the past. Then again, they were cheaper so I guess I got what I paid for.
I know, right? I was like "Mandrels for $2.50?!?!?!? AWESOME!"

You would think after being on this earth for 50 years I would know better but nope.

Old 2010-12-10, 9:21am

Since we are talking about mandrels, I have long wanted to buy a bundle of mandrels in bulk at Sundance Glass Arts, they are said to be stronger. Anyone try those out? I am hard on my 1/16" mandrels, I need something really sturdy!
Old 2010-12-10, 9:29am
I'm a lilac!

The Sundance ones are AWESOME. Best mandrels I've ever used. I don't even really buy anything else from them.

Old 2010-12-10, 10:19am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
The Sundance ones are AWESOME. Best mandrels I've ever used. I don't even really buy anything else from them.
Thanks for asking about this Carol and thanks for the info Kalera, I was watching this thread to see if anyone knew. I love 1/16 but had pretty much given them up because I bend them really fast.

Old 2010-12-10, 10:36am
da General

We have been getting our mandrels (buy them in bulk) from Sundance for years.

Just checked its website . . . it has gotten worse if that's possible! lol! And the approximate number of mandrels for 2 lbs bulk pack isn't listed anymore. I think you get 100 or so for the 5/64" at $38.

Mandrels are listed under Tools > Beads and Button Making

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-12-10, 11:11am

Thank you, Kalera and Hayley, I know where I will be getting them from now on.

Hayley, what do you mean it is worse?

You're welcome, Astrid
Old 2010-12-10, 11:21am

never mind, Hayley, I figure you meant ordering from their website is worse.

Their website is different for sure. Probably why every time I go there and look at their mandrels I decide against ordering and tell myself, later.