Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-08-13, 9:26am

Default rubino question

Can anyone show me beads made from Gold cranberry pink 456 from rocio? I bought some, the rods are dark translucen t rose color that is darker than some others I have bought from other places. When I make my beads they are real pink fushia color and then it strikes in the kiln and goes to purple orchid color. Has anyone else had this happen? What do I need to do to keep it pink? I did buy Sarah's e-book and read it...but I didn't find my answer on the annealing part.

Thanks for any help.

Becky

Last edited by beadmama; 2008-08-14 at 4:31am.
Old 2008-08-13, 9:44am
Heart Of Glass Beads

How long are you garaging the beads in the kiln before you start the annealing/ramp down? When i'm working with Rubino, especially with beads that are mostly rubino, I have to make sure I make those beads LAST so they don't get as much "soak" time or they will keep striking. I have had them go to an almost opaque purple orchid color if they sit in the kiln too long - very pretty, but if you want a pure pink transparent look, not good.

You also might try to only work your rubino as LITTLE as possible. If you're doing rubino flowers or dots, make sure that is the last color you add to your beads and then just heat enough to melt in and then be done with the bead. If it doesn't strike all the way in the flame, that's ok - it will strike in the kiln. Make sure you're working fairly cool with the propane turned way down also.

Hope this helps a little.

Shine-On Glow In The Dark Glass available in 104, 96, 90 COE. PM for Details
Old 2008-08-13, 11:02am
Fire Diva

Sounds like a gorgeous color!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-08-13, 1:11pm

Hi Carla

I actually batch anneal...could this be the problem?

I did a thin layer of white, then Rubino and then encased with clear.

Thank you very much for your ideas and suggestions! The orchid is pretty, I just was trying to get it to work right, too.

Becky

Last edited by beadmama; 2008-08-13 at 1:13pm.
Old 2008-08-13, 2:35pm

I'd try mixing it with clear and then using it. I do that with the concentrated Reichenbach colors.

Also, if you use it straight, work cool and far out like Sarah says and try annealing it at 930 for 30 min. for small beads. I've gotten that orchid opaque-y looking color from working too hot and annealing too long and/or too hot. Batch annealing is fine from my experience.

Also, I garage at 900 and ramp up when I'm ready to anneal.

Last edited by Rose; 2008-08-13 at 2:39pm.
Old 2008-08-14, 4:33am

Thanks Rose

I'm going to keep trying with all suggestions I get...I love the color and I'm on a mission to get it right!!

Becky