LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-03-14, 7:10pm

Default Avacado Green - Is there a secret?

Bought some avacado green at Wale today. Is there a trick to working with it or is it a "what you see is what you get" color? Just wondering if there is a way to bring out some green or is it really a sage color?

Any suggested colors to use with it?

Geez, it looked so nice in the shop but now I'm not so sure!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-03-14, 7:57pm

Well, Avacado is the wrong name for this glass. It is more of a brown and the sage is more of a green, I think. I get them all confused. They are handpulled so each batch looks a little different. Ingrid H. had a thread on WC about either the Avacado or the Sage. You might want to look for that. I like it under transparent brown/ambers. Great fall color.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2006-03-14, 8:00pm
sunscreen me baby

I find that sage is actually a tan, stone kind of khaki and avacado is light brown pastel.

~

Old 2006-03-14, 8:09pm
Cheesehead Packer lover

I think you must walk in circles around a tree while chanting while under a full moon-----or is that EDP??????

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2006-03-15, 5:11am

Thanks...guess I'll play around with it and see if any inspiration hits.

Cherie...I love the quote you include in your signature! How funny AND true!

Old 2006-03-15, 6:04am
Old enough to know better

Given a rod of Avocado and a rod of pastel Sage, I couldn't tell you which is which. Sage is gorgeous with black - either in a twisty or just dotted on. Also, try some silver leaf or foil either before or after you put the Sage (or Avocado) down. Really nice.

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-03-18, 4:37pm
cam@velocity.net

Avocado is a great color! It's one of my favorites! It's certainly NOT a shade of green, imo. They should rename it to khaki or tan or taupe! Here are some color combintations that work well with Avocado:

avocado, black
avocado, black, dark violet
avocado, black, Lauscha opaque purple
avocado, black, ivory
avocado, black, dusty pink
avocado, blue, red
avocado, clear, red
avocado, dark cobalt, white
avocado, dark cobalt
avocado, dark red, ivory
avocado, Lauscha opaque purple, ivory
avocado, ivory
avocado, ivory, trans light brown
avocado, ivory, trans olive (sage) green, white
avocado, mustard yellow, olive green
avocado, orange, red
avocado, periwinkle, trans amethyst
avocado, red, turquoise
avocado, trans ink blue, white
avocado, trans lavender, white

GREAT color!

Candy
Old 2006-03-18, 10:00pm

Great combo suggestions Candy. Sounds like you hate the color though.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2006-03-20, 5:09pm

At one time there was a batch that reall was an olive green tint. I still have one rod of it left but my new batch looks beige. I wasn't really thrilled when I bought sage and avacado and end up with bundles that look identical. Kinda like the time I bought transparent straw and trans. brown and they both were identical. Someone goofed somewhere!
I thought I would get what I had from years ago. Oh well. It does react nicely with frits and silver which is why I use so much.
You can try striking both colors to see what you get. I've had a little luck that way but only with larger focals. Probably because they are worked and cooled much more often.

Tracey

Listen to your inner voice. It knows what's it's talking about.
Old 2006-03-20, 9:25pm

Lauscha has one that looks olive, I love it. It just seems to melt smoother.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon