Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-02-16, 1:02pm

Default TAG Boro Mystery Box 2011

This is what I got for Valentines Day, My GF Rocks !!

A list of the colors included;

Mega Mai Tai exp# 12-1410
Double Mai Tai exp# 010311
Mai Tai Pink exp# 102110
Inkspot blue-green black exp# 031810
Blue Green exp variant exp# 010311
Blue Green exp darker exp# 010411
Blue Green exp variant exp# 010711
Blue Green exp variant exp# 012011
Blue Green exp variant exp# 013111
Blue Green exp lighter exp# 011011
Blue Green exp variant exp# 011711
Mai Tai Green a/p exp# 042610
A/P exp #701 exp# 070110
A/P exp #412 exp# 041210
og a/p exp #628 exp# 062810
A/P exp #408 exp# 040810
A/P Dark exp #428 exp# 042810
Crimson Elvis #329 exp# 032910
Sasha's Oilslick exp# 010611
Crimson Elvis #405 exp# 040510
Mighty Moss- Jade version exp# 100209
Old 2011-02-16, 2:02pm

OOOOOOOO..........You lucky devil!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-02-16, 3:44pm
Senior Moment

She's a keeper!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-02-16, 8:05pm

Yum ... mine is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. Can't wait to get home from work tomorrow night to check it out and see what goodies mine contained.

thanks for the preview!!

Old 2011-02-16, 8:48pm

Sweet you got one too !! I was hoping some one else on here got a box also !!
Old 2011-02-16, 8:52pm

I only had a little time so I made a quick heart out of the Mai Tai Green a/p. I wasn't able to soak it in the kiln for very long, so I think Ill let it sit through the next session and see what happens.
Old 2011-02-17, 9:44pm

Got mine today ... (along with my pound of blue lotus -- COE104) what a gorgeous group of glass. I have the same color names as you received though I suspect our batch numbers are different. It will be fun to compare notes and see each others results.

Really busy at work right now ... working 10 hour days so I won't get to play until Sunday.

Old 2011-02-18, 5:20am
Newb boro fanatic

This 'mystery box' thing looks awesome! Where can you buy it?

Old 2011-02-18, 8:10am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
This 'mystery box' thing looks awesome! Where can you buy it?
Directly from TAG glass. Call or email ... there is only 30 available. We know where two of them went

Old 2011-02-18, 1:38pm
Astro Cat

I got a box as well. I love amber purples. Looking forward to 'playing'.
I hope to make some beads this weekend.
my Scorpion!
Old 2011-02-21, 1:16pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I got a box as well. I love amber purples. Looking forward to 'playing'.
I hope to make some beads this weekend.
Alright you got one too

Another heart from me, afterall it was a valentines day gift
this one is Mai Tai Pink exp# 102110 over sno white, I ran it through three cycles of the klin and the pink just keeps getting brighter

Old 2011-02-21, 2:12pm
Astro Cat

That's lovely
my Scorpion!
Old 2011-02-22, 9:27am

Default My first round testing - warning image heavy

His is my first group.

These were all produced from using my M15 and propane. Garaged at 1050 for an extended amount of time and then annealed at 1065 for 1 hour.

Mai Tai Pink ...

Dbl Mai Tai

Mega Mai Tai

Elvis Crimson (this looks brighter in the photo than they are in hand).

and Sasha's Oil Slick

I want to go back and play a bit with the colors on tanked. Particularly the Crimson and Sasha. Sasha seems to me to be aptly named because it reminds me of the sheen on the water in the bay when the boats come back in and run their bilge pumps.

Who else has played!!???!!

Old 2011-02-22, 1:54pm

You achieved some beautiful colors on those beads ! Interesting I have tried Sasha's oilslick in an implosion and it looks like an oily cream almost like oil that has been mixed with water, and you got an greyish black using it on the surface. I didn't get pictures of that implosion, Ill try later. I do have pictures of implosions using the Blue Green exp variant exp# 010711
; both of these marbles use that color, the first one gave me lots of really lush greens and the second one a variety of blues.

Blue Green exp variant exp# 010711 with NS pomegranite stamins

Blue Green exp variant exp# 010711 with Crimson Elvis #405 exp# 040510

Old 2011-02-22, 3:07pm
Newb boro fanatic

Blue Green exp looks like it's a solid (and lighter) version of NS Exp Green #5... neat!

Old 2011-02-22, 5:57pm
Astro Cat

Neat! I am loving the Mai Tai pink and those blue/greens. Looks like I am going to have to try imploding the blue green colors!!
my Scorpion!
Old 2011-02-22, 7:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
Blue Green exp looks like it's a solid (and lighter) version of NS Exp Green #5... neat!
I have not played with the NS exp green but I can say the blue/green is just like the sheet that came with it describes...an extremely variable color...lol

This is a color that is going to take alot of expermenting with to figure out. unfortunatly I only have one rod of each blue/green exp

You'll see in the top marble I posted, that the color is greener the deeper it gets but the next marble it gets more blue as it gets deeper. I may have had my regulator adjusted a little higher therfore reduced more on second marble.

and also to make it even more variable, when I used it on the surface of a piece of clear it came out a BEAUTIFUL dark transparent emerald green......
Old 2011-02-23, 12:34am

Jeff ... beautiful heart and great marbles. By the name and date it was the same rod and you got green on one and more blue on the other ... wow.

Sasha's oil slick when encased is kind of a creaming blue/green/gray color. I tried reducing it first thinking "oil slick" but it got really yucky. So I burnt all the reduction off and tried striking. The unencased one is kind of a dark, drab olive green. Hoping if I switch to tank ... I might get a little more color.

I can't wait to play with the blue/greens. I have those and the APs and Mai Tai Green and Mighty Moss to play with yet.

Old 2011-02-23, 6:00am
Glassmangler

Hey, if anyone from TAG actually reads this thread, get a shopping cart already. Nobody wants to "call and discuss their order." It's 6 AM, I want to impulse shop.

J
Old 2011-02-23, 8:33am

Jester ... you can email or fax your order ... rather than call.

I know Jenny at Tag is a member but I don't think she gets alot of chance to get on here.

You can email them jenny (at) taglass.com and make the suggestion.

Anyways ... Jenny is a blast to talk to and you get that "extra" personal touch.

If you want the shopping cart experience ... you can always shop with one of their many distributors.

Old 2011-02-23, 11:42am
Glassmangler

Actually, no I can't. No fax machine (no land line), and I'm not crazy, so I don't put my credit card in email. Even if I did, I have no desire to engage in a multiple email transaction chain for something that could have been handled in 5 minutes by a decent website.

Are there TAG distributors selling the mystery box? No.

Their loss. With great companies like Generations Glass having to close their doors, it just boggles my mind that somebody would decide that business was so good a shopping cart is superfluous.
Old 2011-02-23, 12:12pm

Sorry Jester ... wasn't trying to pi$$ you off. Just making suggestions.

I could say more but I don't think it wouild be received in the essense of friendship ... so I will just go play with my box and leave you alone. ( Yup ... pun intended!!).

Old 2011-02-23, 1:07pm

Laura, now that I am at my work computer I can see the olive green in the picture of the sashas bead. Makes me think of camoflage, could make and interesting effect.
How long did you strike the Mai Tai Pink beads? I had to run through three cycles to get the bright pinks but they were short cycles, only a couple hours each.
I tried an Implosion with the blue green lighter exp last night and it came out a really nice emerald color, will play with it a bit more and post some pic's
Old 2011-02-23, 2:02pm
Glassmangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieGlass View Post
Sorry Jester ... wasn't trying to pi$$ you off. Just making suggestions.

I could say more but I don't think it wouild be received in the essense of friendship ... so I will just go play with my box and leave you alone. ( Yup ... pun intended!!).
I'm not *angry* about it. I'm baffled. It's like it's 1998 again suddenly...
Old 2011-02-23, 6:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterGlass View Post
Hey, if anyone from TAG actually reads this thread, get a shopping cart already. Nobody wants to "call and discuss their order." It's 6 AM, I want to impulse shop.

J
LOL! get your card on file and you can send in your orders at 3am, baby! then I can just pull and pack and ship the next day.... Shopping cart web systems are great when they work right and you have someone updating them all the time. When that's not happening they suck. When you call to discuss an order I get to tell you about this other weird shade of something that you might want, and I can get you the best fit & price with Odds and Seconds. Just sayin'...

Oh, and FWIW - part of it is that we are a manufacturer, not a distributor. So I am just as likely to pick up the phone and talk to a nice reseller like Kristian (BUMMER about Generations!!) or some guy who needs a full pot of something special ("this color but a darker shade, and can I get a bulk price on that, and what are you doing with R&D right now that I can check out?") or someone who wants some odd rods, or to try out the Box o Mystery... and we don't have a lot of staff to run and update the website. So if you need a shopping cart there are lots of great options among our resellers, and the distributors now have the option to stock the Mai Tai Pink, Double Mai Tai, Mega Mai Tai, and Sasha's Oil Slick. I totally understand that we are not convenient. That's kinda the point. ;-D

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid

Last edited by Firebrand Beads; 2011-02-23 at 6:21pm. Reason: addition
Old 2011-02-23, 6:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterGlass View Post
I'm not *angry* about it. I'm baffled. It's like it's 1998 again suddenly...
Wow ... I'm so glad to see Jenny jumped in.

And I for one, can tell you this lady monitors her work email on the weekends too.

I could go on and on about what I think. But it's what I think. The point of this thread was to show the pretties and how we got them.

I understand your frustration. But I always figure where their is a will there is a way. My regular distributor for boro would probably have gotten me the Mystery Box if I wanted to go that route. They've told me before to let them know what I'm looking for and they would get it. And they have with bells on.

Old 2011-02-23, 6:32pm

Hi J.Meader.

My Mai Tai Pink was garaged at 1050 near the side of the kiln (close to elements -- running an SC2) for @3 hours. I worked the Mai Tai's early in my torch session to maximize my soak time. Then ramped up to 1065 and held for an hour. And then back down through but not sure what the exact program is anymore.

They went into the kiln looking totally clear!!! I could see them coloring up as I added beads during the session. It was really weird for me to not see any color going into the kiln ... but I love the results. So glad I got a 1/4 lb of that to play with.

Old 2011-02-23, 7:03pm

So, I have talked to some people that were not getting much color from the Mai Tai Pink, until several kiln cycles, and another who actually got it to flame strike and went MASSIVE with the pink/purple in the kiln -- difference? I think this one likes to be worked HOT. The hotter you work it in the flame, and the longer, the quicker and darker it goes in the kiln?

Meanwhile... the Sasha's Oil Slick was not in all of the Boxes o Mystery. But it was in a couple. This was developed from one of the best-selling experiments from last spring, it was Mai Tai #041910, but Sasha bought up a lot of it and called it Oil Slick. Here is a piece that Sasha Hess made with this glass:

And here is Paul's sample:

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2011-02-23, 7:21pm
Astro Cat

Looks nice!!
my Scorpion!
Old 2011-02-23, 9:36pm

Hi Jenny, Glad to see you have joined in on this discussion!! Thank you for another hint in regards to the Mai Tai Pink, I don't think I worked it very hot or very long so it makes sense that first time I took it out of the kiln is was more or less a light amber color.

Those pictures of Oil Slick look pretty cool I'm going to have to give that one another try!