Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-07-13, 2:07pm

Default Kiln questions

I posted this on WC but in case there are some of you not over there who can give me info I posted here as well...

I have a JenKen w/ a Bartlett controller-have had it for 2 yrs never used *gasp!* since I bought in the middle of our move and remodel.

My studio is pretty much done w/ the exception of programming this thing and a couple tweaks on my ventilation!!!

It did not come w/ any instructions. When searching the archives here it seems that many have their max temp and holding times very different. How do I know which to go with?

Also, do I need to put fiber blanket in the bottom of the kiln? Seems I saw someone mention that. I do have the kiln wash-do I just mix it up and paint it on the very bottom of the kiln? What about the shelf?

I would like to set it up for batch annealing, normal annealing and for small fusing projects...

Thanks for any information!!!
I'm so close...lol
Amanda
Old 2007-07-13, 2:22pm

Here is a pdf from Centre de Verre on the Bartlett.
http://www.cdvkiln.com/3KRamp8nodela...forRMPATEH.pdf
If you go to the 'Site Map' on that site there is some fusing info too.
The wash that came with the kiln is probably fine for the kiln floor. For fusing, I'd get some BE kiln wash and use that. Usually the kilnwash sent with kilns isn't the greatest stuff.
I use racks to rest my beads on instead of on a blanket or the floor. Jeff (Inspiration Tool Works) is a member here and made mine. Love it! I hold at 950 and start to anneal at 960 for all soft glass but you'll probably get a bunch of different answers. I think schedules are as different as people.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-07-13, 3:09pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaL View Post
I posted this on WC but in case there are some of you not over there who can give me info I posted here as well...

I have a JenKen w/ a Bartlett controller-have had it for 2 yrs never used *gasp!* since I bought in the middle of our move and remodel.

My studio is pretty much done w/ the exception of programming this thing and a couple tweaks on my ventilation!!!

It did not come w/ any instructions. When searching the archives here it seems that many have their max temp and holding times very different. How do I know which to go with?

Also, do I need to put fiber blanket in the bottom of the kiln? Seems I saw someone mention that. I do have the kiln wash-do I just mix it up and paint it on the very bottom of the kiln? What about the shelf?

I would like to set it up for batch annealing, normal annealing and for small fusing projects...

Thanks for any information!!!
I'm so close...lol
Amanda
There's a video clip here on how to program the Bartlett.
http://www.glasscampus.com/videos.htm

DeBrady Glassworks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan