No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Old 2008-01-17, 12:22pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

Default What kind of torch is this?

Can anyone tell me what torch this is?

Teague

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2008-01-17, 12:28pm

Looks like a Carlisle CC, or CC+

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2008-01-17, 12:44pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

Thank you! The base looks different, but maybe it has changed.

Teague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2008-01-17, 12:56pm

Carlisle has 2 different bases available for the larger torches: one is a ball mount, the other is a gear mount.

Then again, I really wasn't looking at the base

Malcolm

Email:

Old 2008-01-17, 12:59pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

This one is second hand and cheap, but I just looked at the specs and I think it's too big for my britches.

Teague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2008-01-17, 2:13pm
DSDWC

I might be interested. How cheap and where?

Old 2008-01-17, 2:39pm

Look like a Mya.
Old 2008-01-17, 5:14pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

Hmmm What about this one:

Teague

I can't seem to find many pics of Mayas online, just that there is a lot of controversy with the company that makes them.

Teague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2008-01-17, 8:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
Hmmm What about this one:

Teague

I can't seem to find many pics of Mayas online, just that there is a lot of controversy with the company that makes them.

Teague
Interesting torch, Teague. It looks a lot like the Cenco (Central Scientific Co.) torch I have:

Notice the gas and air control wheels on the sides of the torch.

Cenco was founded in 1900, and the company grew into the 1960's. However, in 1968, the company started having serious difficulties, and much of it was sold off. In 1979, two investors bought the remaining assets of what was left of the company, and that new company still exists today. But, to my knowledge, they do not make torches any more.

Your torch has an interesting base, similar to another torch I have. Notice how the spare tips are stored on threaded stubs on the feet of the base:

All of these are nice old torches, but probably no better than any of the modern torches.

Malcolm

Email:

Old 2008-01-17, 10:21pm

the first torch posted is a simax h2 blast burner
this is a newer version and runs around $900 on sale
Attached Images

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.

Last edited by murf; 2008-01-17 at 10:33pm.
Old 2008-01-17, 10:43pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

Hmm.. Interesting. That last one was on ebay for like $9. I've just never seen anything like it before. The first one I posted I found on Craigslist, so many ideas for what torch it is though.

Teague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2008-01-17, 10:46pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

I didn't even know that simax made torches. On ABR's website it lists for 999 on sale. It says it comes with a foot pedal. But it's also a premix centerfire I don't think that would work well for beads.

Teague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2008-01-18, 12:05am

sure it would, prob has a center fire than could seal the eye lid to an ant. your right down the road from Winship and a whole bunch of lampworkers, hot shops, and Bob Snodgrass. should be able to score a torch with no problem. just take your time in picking what you can afford and think about where you plan to go in glass. you can have a cannon of a torch, that could peel the paint off the neighbors house, but it doesn't mean you have to rage it. use the center fire, try the outer some and grow into it.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.

Last edited by murf; 2008-01-18 at 12:07am.
Old 2008-01-18, 7:54am
ManBearPig

Quote:
I didn't even know that simax made torches. On ABR's website it lists for 999 on sale. It says it comes with a foot pedal. But it's also a premix centerfire I don't think that would work well for beads.

Teague
I use a pre-mix center fire for everything I make...

Old 2008-01-23, 7:40pm
William Hagy

Quote:

Teague
Did anyone mention to you the the torch (first pic) has a 40mm face on it? beyond the fact it is a premix centerfire it is VERY large.

~W~

50mm & 40mm Herbert Arnold Zenit Burners,Carlisle cc/cc+/mini,Liquid O2.
Old 2008-01-25, 9:18pm

Size really does matter!

Old 2009-01-29, 11:23am

Default Your torch

Hi,
That is a H-2 Blastburner.
They are made by simax.I love them.They work like a Herbert but are only $750.00 BRAND NEW(ABR)because knowbody knows about them.They have the 5th knob like a herbert but, A air compressor is needed.2 oxy inputs,2 prop in puts,and the 1 compressed air knob.
Ask Ross @ABR for more info if needed.
PEACE from GLASSCITY(Eugene,Oregon)!!!
Old 2009-02-06, 1:53pm
PyronamixK

You can work soft glass on a premix, but you have a smaller window of usable flame settings than you would with a surface mix. Be sure to get some flashback arrestors. Also, check and make sure about the use of the air compressor and find out if it is optional or necessary.
Old 2009-03-19, 5:52pm

I just purchased one of these H2s from ABR and it's an awesome burner. It is more commonly known as The Maya. I use a 150lb compressor tank and set the regulator at 10# pressure. You don't need a compressor only to fill the tank. Without the compressed air the high fire burns dirty and without any pressure. Dial in the air and it burns powerful and hot. The low fire burns hot but it's premix so it's noisy. Sounds like a jet engine. If you don't mind the noise it's ok. With This burner you can make anything. It's industrial strength. It has a 40mm face and will melt 50mm extra heavy wall like butter. At the price of $750.00 it's a steal believe me. Great for making Large paperweights 3" and 4" and marbles which is what I bought it for. Large vessals should be possible too. I will never have to buy another torch.
Jay.

Last edited by Holden; 2009-03-25 at 5:05pm. Reason: Finish what I started.
Old 2021-04-20, 4:14pm

Default Hello from uruguay.

i have got one like this. How can i use it?
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/up...?viewid=101281

Last edited by Grisel; 2021-04-20 at 4:35pm.