LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-21, 3:37pm

Default Can someone give me their opinion of the EZ Torch?

I don't want to use the Oxygen/Propane tanks but this is supposed to be the next best thing. It's $90.00 and they say it has a built in regulator and oxygen intake. Comes with hose, torch and three heads or nosiles. reaches temp of 2400*. What temp is requires for Boro glass? It looks like something I'd like but I'd like to get some input from others who have used it for lampworking... Please?
Thank you!!

here's the link to the info for this torch.
http://www.ottofrei.com/store/produc...roductid=16088

Last edited by slcuniques; 2006-12-21 at 3:44pm.
Old 2006-12-21, 3:43pm
Cheeky & Impervious

I thought the EZ was a soldering torch?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-12-21, 3:45pm

Yeah, but can it be used for lampworking too or does it not have the right guts for that?

I"m not all that literate on torches so I dont know. I'm on a HH and that's as far as I've gotten.. DH refuses to let me use an oxygen/propane mix...
Old 2006-12-21, 3:46pm
Cheeky & Impervious

I admit I've never tried to lampwork on one, however, I don't believe it would work well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-12-21, 3:50pm

LOL, I'm really duh when it comes to torches but DH says if I can find a torch with a more concentrated flame that doesn't use two tanks and doesn't cost an arm, He'll get it for me...
Can you explain what the differences are?
Old 2006-12-21, 3:52pm
Cheeky & Impervious

I think the only way you're gonna get out of using oxy/propane is to use a Fireworks or Hot Head, which use mapp gas.

Old 2006-12-21, 3:53pm
I've got goodies!

Your best bet is to find an older model hot head. They have an adjustable flame.

LE members get 5% off all purchases!!
Coupon code LE

Old 2006-12-21, 3:58pm

I use propane with a Hothead. I have a huge tank. I definately don't want to revert back to Flameworks torch. That's the worse torch I've ever used and they don't last.

Where can I find an older model Hothead. I can adjust the flame on the one I have already. That sucker is loud though! LOL.... I saw a minor in action once and I fell in love. So quiet, but, I can't use the mix tank torch. Not with the setup I have now. Maybe in the future, but for now, I was hoping there was a nice, really nice torch out there that uses straight propane..
Old 2006-12-21, 4:07pm
Broken

I have one for silversmithing. I don't think it'd work for glass at all. The flame is small.

*edit to add* mine leaked like a bugger in the beginning too!

Last edited by Nicker; 2006-12-21 at 4:13pm.
Old 2006-12-21, 4:10pm
I've got goodies!

Well, your only other option is to get an oxy-propane torch and use an oxygen concentrator instead of tanked oxygen. The single fuel torches are all loud.

Coupon code LE

Old 2006-12-21, 4:23pm

OH!! You've peeked my interest.. Can you post a link where I can learn about this?? This sounds like what I might be looking for.. Do you still need the oxygen tank, and what does the concentrator do or what is it for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassgoodies View Post
Well, your only other option is to get an oxy-propane torch and use an oxygen concentrator instead of tanked oxygen. The single fuel torches are all loud.
Old 2006-12-21, 4:25pm

Thanks Nicker, That's a big thing, and glad you told me. Even with just soldering, which I do, I don't want something that leak. Thanks for the heads up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
I have one for silversmithing. I don't think it'd work for glass at all. The flame is small.

*edit to add* mine leaked like a bugger in the beginning too!
Old 2006-12-21, 4:28pm
Is it May yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcuniques View Post
OH!! You've peeked my interest.. Can you post a link where I can learn about this?? This sounds like what I might be looking for.. Do you still need the oxygen tank, and what does the concentrator do or what is it for?

A concentrator is a machine that is generally used for people with breathing problems. It takes the air and removes all the other stuff, "concentrating" the oxygen. It does not require a tank, you just run a hose to it that hooks up to the oxy port on the torch.

For some, confusion is not a state of mind, but a way of life
Old 2006-12-21, 4:43pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Jump over to LIBRARY FORUM, lots of Torch-Oxygen Concentrator-Fuel information...

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2006-12-21, 4:46pm
Mama said

Now Fireworks torches are a dead issue.

Four years ago when I started they weren't. I went through two of the evil things before I figured out it wasn't me, it was the torch. I was treated to a heapin' helping of "dumb-ass" from one of the guys I bought them from and I'm truly grateful that I don't have any idea who that was now.

~Michelle
Old 2006-12-21, 5:53pm
In search of her path....

There are also torches like the lampworkers in Japan use but they are pretty costly usually around $300-400 and on up they run on propane and ambient air puished through with a aquarium pump like thing...and they are an upright like bunson burner looking torch.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-12-21, 7:49pm
Fast Roller

I'd vote for the concentrator, too. A torch like a Minor is very quiet, and can be run on the concentrator and a propane tank like a BBQ tank--safe and convenient. Makes a great Christmas present, too!

You might run into sooty beads if you use a torch that's not made for lampworking...
Old 2006-12-21, 9:14pm
Dildo Kween!

another $60 and you'll have a real oxy propane torch.

My Tutorials have been FREE since 2001

Old 2006-12-21, 9:17pm

OUCH!! $300.00 to $400.00 is a little steep for me. Where do you get a concentrator for a good price?

Hey, I even got sooty beads with that Flameworks torch. I hated that thing but it was ok for a beginner. It was a cheap way to find out if I liked lampworking or not, which of-course is easy to get hooked on.. I've been on this HH for about a year and figured it was time to graduate. I really want a Minor.. especially after seeing it in action!!
You folks have been a huge help!! THANKS TONS and
Merry Christmas... We're leaving at 5 in the morning so I have to get to bed. Got a 7 day holiday with my daughter and granddaughter in MO. I haven't seen them in two years so I'm very excited!!! Y'all have a fabulous and safe Christmas and thanks again!!
Old 2006-12-21, 9:53pm
Beach Brat

Quote:
... I'm on a HH and that's as far as I've gotten.. DH refuses to let me use an oxygen/propane mix...
Geesh, Sandy, you made those honkin' large seahorses on a HH? How long did THAT take you? You must have the patience of a saint and the biceps of Superman! I bow to thee....

It's more than just a bead; it's an adventure

Old 2006-12-21, 10:26pm
Beach Brat

That torch at the top of this thread doesn't get any hotter than a HH. It uses the same fuels, and you can't regulate the oxy level. The HH is especially designed for lampworking. That other torch probably wouldn't withstand long hours at work.

I haven't seen any oxy concentrators less than $300. You want to be sure you get one that can put out at least 10 psi (5 LPM). You can't do boro with it, you need more psi for that. Actually you can do small boro beads, but it's slow, like working on the hothead with Moretti. You're used to that, so no big deal. I've spent $300 in oxygen tanks the past 7 months, and I'm just a part time user. We just bought an oxycon from Ross at ABR Imagery (www.dichroicimagery.com). Call him up, he'll work with you. Carlisle also has the same machines for similar price. I got to try one of their machines when I went out there. Make sure you get a warranty, the regulator was faulty in our unit. We're getting a replacement in the mail any day now.

Have you ever tried a propane/oxy mix torch? It's a lot quicker and cleaner than the HH. I recommend renting some torch time if you haven't tried it yet.

Old 2006-12-21, 11:16pm
More ideas than talent

Ha ha. I've just bought myself a minor torch for Xmas because I've had endless discussions with DH about running one/having a permanent position to torch etc etc (currently using an HH too). I figured if I went ahead and bought it, it becomes an immediate problem that needs to be solved rather than a theoretical problem that could take (potentially) years to sort out.

Old 2006-12-21, 11:19pm
Beach Brat

Oh, gawd, Wendy, you are DA WOMAN!

Old 2006-12-22, 3:20am
I've got goodies!

Quote:
OUCH!! $300.00 to $400.00 is a little steep for me. Where do you get a concentrator for a good price?

http://www.hobbiesforus.com/. For less than $400, you can have a concentrator and a new torch.

Coupon code LE

Old 2006-12-22, 10:03am
one day at a time

Oh yeah, you will looove a torch like the Minor or Bobcat using a concentrator!

I've used a big $$$ oxygen generator (a souped up expensive industrial oxygen concentrator) for my Bobcat, and a friend recently gave me a concentrator on a trade for some tools I wasn't using. I have it for "back-up" in case my other machine has problems. It doesn't have the power that the other machine has, but it's perfect for my torch! My oxy generator is "overkill" for such a small torch anyway.

If you are only interested in soft glass, then the Nortel minor would be perfect. (about $169) They run really nice with just one concentrator.

If you may want to do some borosilicate glass down the line, then you would want a GTT Bobcat, Carlisle Mini CC, or the Bethlehem SS Minnow. These are the "small entry level" torches, and they are a little hotter than the Nortel Minor. Making them hot enough for boro, but best for that if you hook up two concentrators. For soft glass, one concentrator is all you need. All these torches are priced at under $200.

BTW - I see that Kristian has the SS Minnow on sale right now.

http://www.generationsglass.com/Torches.html

Last edited by Lisi; 2006-12-22 at 10:08am.