Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-03-18, 2:06pm

Default I'm totally new!! Please help

Hi to all,

I'm totally new at this new exciting adventure. I have just ordered my beginners kit and can't wait to begin, any beginners advice will be much appreciated. Please see link and please could you advise if this kit I bought is okay.

http://www.glassandfire.co.za/Catalo...alogue_kit.php

Is there anything else I need?

I am from South Africa so needless to say I am really battling to get everything as well as decent advice but I am sure that I have found the right place.

One question that I'd like to ask first is - Is it necessary to have a kiln?

Thank you all in advance

Ursula
Old 2011-03-18, 3:23pm
Salt Box Beads

It is not necessary to have a kiln to make a bead.

It is necessary to have a kiln to have an annealed bead.

If you are going to practice and want to make a gazillion beads for practice or to see how much you like making beads or if you even can make them, then you don't NEED a kiln.

Just keep in mind that annealing separates the pros from the, well, um, other beadmakers.

It separates the artist made beads from the cheap imports and cheap imported knock offs.

It also separates the serious, knowledgeable and concerned glass bead maker from the I could care less what others think about annealing bead maker.

Most everyone here anneals. some batch anneal and have terrific results because they make mostly small beads that are not complex. Meaning not layers of glass with fun things added like foils, dichro, frits, murrinis, twisties etc.

So basically if you are serious and want to be taken seriously as a lampwork artist then, yes, you need a kiln.

You can make a homemade one with a switch that you have to babysit but it would save a lot on $$$. So you don't have to lay out 500-1000 right away. We have several tuts on making a kiln by some of our more scientific members.

I would add two fiber blankets and use them until I could get a kiln. If you wrap them in aluminum foil and then slide your beads in between them I think the beads cool slower. IMO

Other than that kit looks good. Does it have a clamp or bracket to hold the bottle of fuel?

Welcome to LE.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2011-03-18 at 3:28pm.
Old 2011-03-18, 3:24pm
Queen Tut ;)

It's not necessary to have a kiln, but it is important to have your beads annealed. If you can find someone local that will batch anneal them for you, you should be good for awhile. You may have some thermal cracking issues if you make anything too large, but for just starting out and getting the feel for making beads, I think you should be ok using the vermiculite.

What size mandrels does that kit come with? If they're 1/16" (1.6mm?), I would recommend starting with the thicker 2.4mm ones. You're apt to bend quite a few mandrels to start with, and the 1/16" bend so easily when you take the beads off (at least for me).

These forums are wonderful for finding information. And the folks here are very helpful, especially to newbies.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-03-18, 3:33pm
Salt Box Beads

Forgot to say read everything you can int he tips and techniques forum and tutorials forums...so much info there.

Here is a link on a great way to set up fiber blankets..

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...fiber+blankets
Old 2011-03-18, 4:15pm
Gentleman of Leisure

One thing that does bother me is the currency exchange, is South Africa using the "Rand" (ZAR)... IF so the rate of exchange makes the KIT over $400 USD which is way to much.... The same kit in US would sell about $100 to $125 USD.... Please tell me I have it wrong....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2011-03-18 at 4:27pm.
Old 2011-03-18, 4:16pm
one day at a time

I like the kit, so you are off to a good start with that alone! It is piece for piece the exact same as the kit that I bought a long time ago when I was starting out. Except I had Cindy Jenkin's book, and the one by Kimberly Adams is wonderful too.

May I suggest a great beginner's video by Kate Fowle Meleney, and the second video is really good too. She shows you all the beginning steps from dipping mandrels to placing beads in a kiln, and cleaning them. The torch is a Minor. I am 100% self-taught, and these two videos are two of the best out there, IMHO.

I found these two on ebay:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3204744...=263602_309572

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_304652
Old 2011-03-18, 5:53pm

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

Hi Ursula
Welcome!! I did a 2 day course with Nicky Hayden (Hayden Craft) in Capetown - I'm sure she'd be happy to help you with any questions you might have. I bought a bunch of glass from Glass & Fire which should be arriving over here in about 6 weeks. Both Nicky and Astrid Reidel offer classes, Astrid is in Pretoria. I don't know where exactly you'e located as I know CT, Joburg and Durban mainly ...!! It's loads of fun!!
Old 2011-03-19, 10:54am

Good Evening

Thank you all that replied

[/quote]
What size mandrels does that kit come with? If they're 1/16" (1.6mm?), I would recommend starting with the thicker 2.4mm ones. You're apt to bend quite a few mandrels to start with, and the 1/16" bend so easily when you take the beads off (at least for me).

[/quote]

Jenne - thank you - The mandrels are 2.4mm and the kit comes with 4 do you think that I should get more than that as the place where I am getting the stuffs from are about 800km from me and the postage is quite high as well.
Old 2011-03-19, 11:04am

Thank you Lorraine - so much info!! The fibre blankets are they a special fibre? Can I get it at a material shop or is it a special kind, please could you give me the properties of this material?
Sorry if a silly question lol.

No the kit does not come with a bracket, but I'm sure my darling hubby will sort something out for me - he's already planning yet 'another' workbench for me.

The link for the box for the fibre blanket is awesome - I'm busying designing something similar already. What switch is it exactly that I keep reading about?

Thank you so much, once again!

P.S working and studying hard at not being a - " well, um, other beadmakers"
-LOL
Old 2011-03-19, 11:06am
I'm meeeeelting

You will definitely want more than 4 mandrels.

You can use vermiculite or cooling bubbles to cool your beads while you practice. Eventually (before you sell any of your beads), you will need to have access to a kiln to anneal them.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2011-03-19, 11:16am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
One thing that does bother me is the currency exchange, is South Africa using the "Rand" (ZAR)... IF so the rate of exchange makes the KIT over $400 USD which is way to much.... The same kit in US would sell about $100 to $125 USD.... Please tell me I have it wrong....

Dale
Thank you Dale

Yes you are correct it actually makes it 467.272 USD (in the US) - But then if I were to buy from the states how would I go about this? And then the shippment to SA would be rather expensive??
On Tuesday I am making pament and it'll be sent off on wednesday - We have a long weekend in SA, hence everything is on hold.

There is not much about lampwork in SA, I am really battling to find info and suppliers etc on the internet (in SA)

Thanks
Attached Images

Old 2011-03-19, 11:22am

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
You will definitely want more than 4 mandrels.

You can use vermiculite or cooling bubbles to cool your beads while you practice. Eventually (before you sell any of your beads), you will need to have access to a kiln to anneal them.
Thank you - kit does come with vermiculite. how do you suggest using it

Ursula
Old 2011-03-19, 11:26am

Please advise if this link is a good reference

http://www.dragonbeads.com/anneal.html

- thanks - trust you guys
Old 2011-03-19, 12:52pm
I speak Murrini!

Ursula!

Hi hun...welcome to LE!

First off, yes...I would say the "dragonbeads.com" link you have as a general reference for what truly is "annealed" and what isn't is a good one.

Now on to your "kit" question...I gotta say that WHOA, $467-something is a whopping price for what you're getting, so maybe continue searching for a better deal!!! Here's an example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...962#vi-content It doesn't have the book nor the hose, but the book is available on "Amazon.com" and you may be able to write Daniel and Natasha at Devardi Glass (www.devardi.com) to see if they can add the hose to your order. http://www.devardiglass.com/supplies.htm

I don't know if you have any "friends" in the US; one possible way to "minimize" the whopping prices for buying your kit is to have someone in the US purchase and receive it first (with you negotiating payment through PayPal, Money Order, personal check or otherwise), then ship it to you! It may save you a TON of $! Just a thought...

Best of luck and hope you have a blast, as many of us here do, making beads! It's a wonderful artistic adventure!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-03-21, 1:34pm
I speak Murrini!

Curious, Ursula...did you get a kit?

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-03-22, 11:10am

Smile

Hi DeAnne

I have put it hold now as I am considering importing - doing so much research and have managed to speak to a few people as well - the kit comes with a hothead so im considering importing - a minor and the stuffs im only going to need in the end I would be spending the same SA Rands and I'll be getting a Minor instead of a Hothead.

Everyone is great getting so much info and advise - I don't want to rush! Want to get it right and be happy!

Do you know of any good suppliers - I'm currently looking at Arrow Springs

Thank you

P. S very anxious to start but wanna do it right

Old 2011-03-22, 11:26am
I'm meeeeelting

Arrow Springs is a good supplier if they have what you want in stock. They seem to frequently be out of things. Frantz Art Glass is likely to have everything you need. There are many other suppliers in the U.S., as well.

Regarding the vermiculite, I'd suggest putting it in a crockpot.

Nice looking dog.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2011-03-22, 12:36pm

Thank you I will look into Frantz glass now.

Thanks she's my 'baby'

Ursula

Old 2011-03-22, 4:28pm

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

As per my last post ... call Nicky Hayden (Hayden Craft) in CT ... she really can help you get your supplies sorted out and let you know what you'll need. She's very friendly and would be very willing to help you get set up. She'll know where to get stuff from etc - here's her web page which will give her contact details. Feel free to mention my name!!

http://www.haydencraft.co.za/

Good luck.
Old 2011-03-22, 4:31pm
Ave

I started with the wonderful people at Wale Apparatus! Check out this kit.. seems like a pretty good deal..

http://www.waleapparatus.com/catalog...showprevnext=1
Ave

Old 2011-03-23, 3:17am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post

Dale
Dale, you are 100% correct. The owners are lovely people, but every time I order from them, I really feel angry for being 'ripped off'. They do not buy the equipment, glass and tools at retail price, they ship the stuff by sea, and yet I always get the same excuse: look at the prices overseas, we have to add an amount to live. I am ordering more and more overseas, and most South African lampworkers do the same.

At the same time I feel compelled to support them, because I give someone from a disadvantaged back ground hopefully a job, by buying local. It would be a shame to have our only South African supplier of Lampwork supplies close down. If I need something urgent, I know that it will be delivered in 24 hours. International deliveries will take 14 - 48 days. If I order a small parcel from overseas, I am not always guarranteed that the parcel will arrive, or get stolen.