LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2009-02-16, 5:43pm
"melting in the flame"

I was wondering if anyone could let me know how much to heat the glass before adding it to a big hole mandrel. Should I make it molten or heat a larger amount of the rod evenly?
Old 2009-02-16, 6:50pm
Yeah me!

Ok, I think I'm an idiot... I can't find it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-02-16, 7:56pm

Click on 2008 then start going down the page. It's there. Sunday November 23, 2008.

Old 2009-02-18, 4:39am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

Hi Hot Glass
I normally just melt a smallish blob of glass, and touch it to the VERY hot mandrel. This is one place where you really need to heat the mandrel red-hot. The mandrel takes much longer to get this hot in the flame, due to the amount of metal ... Just take your time, and heat the bugger till it glows!

To apply your glass, keep your mandrel just below the flame, your rod in the flame, and turn the mandrel SLOWLY in the flame. Touch the mandrel with your glass and continue to turn the mandrel. Because you heated the rod so much, it should retain enough heat, to make sure that the beginning of your footpath does not shock off when your complete the first layer of glass.

I really battle to keep a nice and even application of footrpint glass if my blob is too big. I work with a minor, jfyi. But I am sure that the same could be done with a HH.

Show those rings!

Old 2009-10-27, 4:14am

Red face Hello, I"m new...

Hello everyone
I am new here. Just applied your website last night.

I have been google-ing on 'how to make bead rings' and came across your beautiful website!

I am soo excited, (i will faint).
I have ordered thick mandrels to work on rings.
I am quite new on flamework business, been working on fused glass more than anything and my main passion has been painting!

If i need any help, could you be around? I took this course only 1 day course, and ended up buying my own tools and trying to experiment. I am a bit frustrated though, it's sooo hard to work with fire!!!!
Please let me know!!! xx NT
Old 2009-10-29, 2:59pm
alisa

Is it just me? i can't find the tutorial on your blog or your website. What am i doing wrong?
Old 2009-10-30, 12:07am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

Alissa, here is the link. it is in the 2008 section. http://deesignedbeads.blogspot.com/2...tutiorial.html

Old 2009-10-30, 6:39pm

Thank you for the tutorial. It is very generous of you. Although I have not tried to make any glass rings yet, I have found your technique very helpful for making big hold beads for Padora bracelets. I do have a question about how to correct a wonky edge. Do you use marver to push the edge straight or add more glass? Maybe I just have to learn how to laydown the initial footprint straight....
Old 2009-10-31, 11:31am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

I use 2 methods, Tsaiyi.
If the edge is a bit lopsided, I will use a sharp scalpel blade and make a bit of a cut in a spot that I heated, where the glass is not even, to push it out a bit. I make the cut about 1 mm from the edge of the glass, and I normally do this while I only have a thin layer of glass on the mandrel. (this is done when I have flattened the glass already)

Where the glass has not been flattened, I make sure that the footpath of the glass is wide with glass, and then I will try and straighten the wonkyness with my marver. I described this in the tutorial too.

Old 2009-10-31, 12:45pm

very nice tutorial and funny advice there at the end, lol!

thank you for your generosity.

Carol
Old 2009-10-31, 5:47pm

Thank you for the tips for fixing the edge. Never thought about doing that... I need to get on the torch and try it. Thanks.
Old 2011-07-18, 10:34pm

Hi Diana,
I´ve been trying hard but for some reason i can´t make the rings...., i´ve tried after watching this website: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTlIyWqjQ-0 and believe me, I´VE TRIED...
I´m from Perú, and i will be travelling to Orlando on October, do you know someone there who can teach me?.... I will appreciate very much all of your help.

thanx
Giovanna
Old 2011-07-19, 1:09am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

Hi Giovanna
I live in South Africa! Come here
Corina taught a friend of mine to make glass rings on the mandrel. Perhaps you can contact her?

Here is a link to my ring tutorial. I do not know if you have seen it? If you want, you are welcome to contact me, and explain what you do, and where you are struggling with it?

http://deesignedbeads.blogspot.com/2...tutiorial.html

Last edited by Art of Hand; 2011-08-02 at 6:44am.
Old 2012-09-05, 5:18am
all for the love of glass

Found this great link while hunting for mandrel diameter/ring sizes. I thought I'd put it in here for anyone else looking for the same!

"Do not worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to." -- Robert Henri.