LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2012-07-04, 11:30am

Default Tank placement- if I build a deck

Right now, my tank is on a cement pad level with the ground and my hoses go up and through my porch window. I'm thinking about building a deck about 8' out from the house. This means the tank would sit level with where the top of the current stairs are, which translates into the hoses going from the tank top down to the bottom of the window and down through. (Does that make sense?)

I'm wondering what, if any, safety issues I would have regarding the winding path the hoses would take from tank to torch if I build this deck.

Photos follow:

The hose goes through a black pipe to protect the actual hoses from sunlight. The bucket is weighted with a chain on the back side so the bucket can't fall off. Under the bucket are my gauges and I do have a flash back arrestor on as well. It's inelegant but it does keep the weather off the top of the tank and the gauges. My deck plans include that it is time to build an enclosure for the tank (to keep it out of sight) and I would be sure to have vents at the bottom of the protective "closet" (for lack of better word at the moment) that I would have build for the tank to fit inside of.

Right now, my hose goes in through the bottom of the window. The ventilation goes out the top of the same window. I always always burn off any gas in the hose line after torching. My make up air window is on the opposite side of the porch, air coming in from behind me on the other side of the 8X12-ish room.

Please give me your thoughts.

Sue
and the present is a gift.

Last edited by Sue in Maine; 2012-07-04 at 11:33am.
Old 2012-07-04, 1:55pm

I so think a deck would be awesome. You will have some more room to do what you want with the tank and then put the extras for hiding the tank there.
Yes. That would be great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rose Leslie
Old 2012-07-04, 2:09pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

First, do you have to transport the tank to fill it or does the propane guy come to your house? That will make a difference having to move it up and down the stairs.

If it were me I would fill the entire corner of the house with the deck comming out the 8' mentioned. you will need some footings of some sort so I would pour a small pad near the house corner as it exists now so that after the deck is finished you have a stable concrete pad where the deck meets the house and at ground level to set your tank on.

Also, what is the opening behind the shovel? If it opens into a basement I would look into closing it off as it will be under the deck and mostly inaccessable and it is a potential spot for propane to leak into the basement if your connection leaks.

Just my thoughts on how I would do it. PJH
Old 2012-07-04, 2:18pm
Retired to the flame

If you build a protective cover for the tank, please, please label the outside.
As a Fire Dept Captain the first thing I do at a working fire is walk around the structure to identify hazards and possible escape point for the crew I'm about to put inside. I can't identify the danger if it's hidden from view.
Having been at fires where a propane tank exploded, makes me acutely aware of the potential risk.
That being said, i would put the tank ( and it's "closet" lol) on the corner of the deck between the window and the corner of the house. You can get propane gas placards from your gas supplier.The hose winding around is no problem.
It's great to have a place to sit and "chill" after a torch session. Enjoy your deck!
Old 2012-07-04, 2:26pm

My propane company delivers. I lease my tank so, yes, they're my movers and shakers. (Thank goodness!) There would be a few steps involved... hope they have muscles!

I did figure on footings. I live in Maine... I don't want a tilted deck the first spring following winter! Forgot to mention I had thought of that.

Behind the shovel is just a door that opens to storage under the year round porch. All that is under there is shovels, rakes and such. I'm thinking of having a shed nearby so I can empty that out. I can't get into it as it is cuz they put the tank too close to the house.... do you like the snow shovel? lol... July in Maine and I have a snow shovel leaning against my house! Only in Maine.

The underneath area under the porch does not have an entry into the house. It's insulated on the walls and ceiling part of the storage area but that's only for the porches sake. The porch is a year round porch with heat- and my washer/dryer, not to mention my little studio.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
First, do you have to transport the tank to fill it or does the propane guy come to your house? That will make a difference having to move it up and down the stairs.

If it were me I would fill the entire corner of the house with the deck comming out the 8' mentioned. you will need some footings of some sort so I would pour a small pad near the house corner as it exists now so that after the deck is finished you have a stable concrete pad where the deck meets the house and at ground level to set your tank on.

Also, what is the opening behind the shovel? If it opens into a basement I would look into closing it off as it will be under the deck and mostly inaccessable and it is a potential spot for propane to leak into the basement if your connection leaks.

Just my thoughts on how I would do it. PJH
Old 2012-07-04, 2:29pm

Very very good point on labeling it. The fire department does know what I do but it wouldn't do to put them in jeopardy if they were ever needed.

I have the Penobscot River behind my house. It's salt water and I have tides so, although it's called a Rver, it is part of the Atlantic Ocean in our Gulf of Maine. I overlook Verona Island. If not for that, the next stop would be England "across the pond."

Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefreak View Post
If you build a protective cover for the tank, please, please label the outside.
As a Fire Dept Captain the first thing I do at a working fire is walk around the structure to identify hazards and possible escape point for the crew I'm about to put inside. I can't identify the danger if it's hidden from view.
Having been at fires where a propane tank exploded, makes me acutely aware of the potential risk.
That being said, i would put the tank ( and it's "closet" lol) on the corner of the deck between the window and the corner of the house. You can get propane gas placards from your gas supplier.The hose winding around is no problem.
It's great to have a place to sit and "chill" after a torch session. Enjoy your deck!
Old 2012-07-04, 3:54pm
offically down under

I love a good deck -especially one that gets the afternoon/evening sun.

Chances are, you have to have approval from your council to put on a deck and it needs to be built to code. Moving the tank to the side of the house would be easy. Another option would be to get a smaller tank that is easily accessed from under the deck. I would check with the builders to see if they could put the hoses through the wall and give you back your window. Or, they could rejig the glass. Looking at your other windows, it looks like you have sash type windows. You could have them remove the bottom glass and put in a piece of plywood for the hoses and your ventilation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-07-04, 6:25pm
Unmedicated since '62

seriously, how much gas do you use? a small BBQ tank lasts me ages, do you really need a tank that big? a small tank would be easier to locate

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-07-05, 4:00am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
seriously, how much gas do you use? a small BBQ tank lasts me ages, do you really need a tank that big? a small tank would be easier to locate
lol- I know! It's been at least 2 years since it's been filled. That's the tank the company brought me when I signed up for the lease. I wasn't going to argue. It goes forever and a day. I think I've had it filled once since 2008-9? I just pay the lease bill when it comes once a year.

Sue
Old 2012-07-05, 12:55pm
birdergirl ~o~

Ooo a deck will be so nice!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~