Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2010-09-14, 10:38am

Default Cobb studio

im jumping the gun on this post. a month ago I spent a weekend with my youngest brother down in southern Oregon . he had just finished a 20 day work seminar building a Cobb home for less than a thousand dollars.

Cobb is nothing new but wow these dwellings are cool. I did take some cell phone photos and I will try to post. I certainly am entertaining the thought of making me a hut out by the pond this spring. the art work that adorned these building really got me excited and i also am thinking of covering the back wall of the studio that is finished in harding back fiber board with mud and then sculpting it in to something cool. any thing would look better than fiber board.

my brother had a great time and talked about going to new mexico to help with a cobb project. after that he plans to just hook up with people that could use the free labor in return for room and board. travel and dance in cobb, so it sounds.

If you run in to a guy in his 40's, covered in mud and straw, good natured and driving a black chevy S10 pickup truck(condition presently unknow) with WA plates, ask him to return my truck!!!!!!.

its gone missing now for almost two months and its my daily driver. I need it in a bad way for my own construction needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.

Last edited by murf; 2010-09-14 at 10:40am.
Old 2010-09-14, 11:14am
Cat Winx

Way to go Bayard!
I only regret that now I'm gonna have to find a way down to Oregon to see the new digs (think spring or next summer ;}
xoxo
~Rachel

Old 2010-09-14, 11:15am
Cat Winx

P.S. And I'll keep an eye out for the truck but I doubt it's gonna turn up in Seattle
~R

Old 2010-09-16, 5:55am
I'm not Barbie.

How cool, can't wait to see some pics.
Old 2010-09-16, 7:35pm
Favorite color is shiny

I wanna know more about cobb houses... very interesting...hmmm
=]

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!

---> LE
Old 2010-09-17, 11:37am
Salt Box Beads

Hard to get permits though in some areas.
Old 2010-09-17, 7:15pm

sorry on a mac and cant figure out how to resize the pictures.

good point on permits, however in my county one can put up a structure with no permit if its under 200 square feet. that being said they also mean everyone but me. I just got popped for a no permit issue. who knows maybe i'll make it 200 square feet and make it three stories tall to see what happens? no joke if you make a cobb hut, it's a traffic stopper of a dwelling

i will figure out the picture resizing so I can post

I know someone planning to make a pump house this way.

------------------------
Old 2010-09-19, 3:45pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by murf View Post
however in my county one can put up a structure with no permit if its under 200 square feet.
But only 1 per lot/residence (at least here)
Old 2010-09-20, 2:54pm
Salt Box Beads

We are limited to 10X12 without electricity. if any larger or you add electricity you need permits.

You can put up more than one 10X12 buildings. Different neighborhoods have different Cc&R's. In our neighborhood we can cover up to 60% of the land with buildings. Some neighborhoods only allow 1 shed.
Old 2010-09-20, 8:23pm

I would love to see pictures of your sheds.
Attached Images

------------------------

Last edited by murf; 2010-09-20 at 8:27pm.
Old 2010-09-20, 8:37pm

more
Attached Images

------------------------
Old 2010-09-20, 8:45pm

I think for myself , one Cobb shed or structure would fly, maybe as you see in the pictures surround it by a Cobb wall and it own private court yard with make be a Cobb out door fire place. this place was and is a learning center and there are many structures I didnt take pictures of. I got to excited. some dweling are not finished some are not being maintained for the sake of study. to see how they might fail or be improved.

there are many books on the subject, but i love the Lloyd Kalan collection. which covers far more than just Cobb.

------------------------
Old 2010-09-20, 9:11pm
Mr Brutus RIP

OMG, those are amazing!!!! How would one start small by trying a Cobb out door fire place?
Is this something I can find by googling and getting all the info? They are amazing!!! Thank you for sharing. Awesome!!!
Sue

Old 2010-09-21, 6:56pm

A picture of my son working on a outdoor fireplace. may look ugly now, but you let it dry some and shape
and a shot of a finished indoor fireplace, taken with a cell and a shaky hand. sorry to say that you cant't take in all the detail. just beautiful.

I think most people start small and make a oven or a fireplace. Cobb is nothing new, the information should be on line. I think many cities in the US have Cobb projects going or completed. I know Portland does. the idea is to create gathering places for neighborhoods. I've hear of Cobb structures being built just to slow down traffic in small neighborhoods as well.
Attached Images

------------------------