Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2011-05-31, 9:54am

Default Ready to upgrade from my Lil'dragon

Although I love this torch I think it is time to upgrade. I do need to stay with concentrators. (Have 2) What would be the next step up?
Thanks!
Old 2011-05-31, 10:42am
I'm a lilac!

Well, the Little Dragon 21 is a KILLER deal for a step up, or you might want to look at a Cheetah which is also a nice buy. But I'd probably go to a two-stage torch with a center fire, if it was my move... A Bullet, a Bravo, or maybe a Scorpion or Phantom, depending on your price range.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-05-31, 4:40pm

I can't offer any useful advice because it's almost certain what I do is different from what you do (heck, lately I've been heat treating steel cutting tools for work, not doing glass at all), but I'm very pleased with my Bullet and surprised that so few people seem to be using Knight torches. The Bullet is basically the 21, but with separate control of the inner and outer. Though the face isn't huge, it can do surprisingly large work. I've even melted small fused quartz work with mine. I don't know how well it would do with concentrators. They function well otherwise and every single piece is machined right here in the USA. Support is also good if you have questions.

Knight Bullet Burner
Tanks
mostly boro technical projects

"I'm sure I'm on a planet but I don't know if it's still earth."

Last edited by Conrad Hoffman; 2011-05-31 at 4:50pm.
Old 2011-05-31, 6:02pm

Thank you! I guess staying with the Knight torches is what my gut says to do. Definitely the 21 but will try to swing the Bullet. I will have to do some research and see if it will work with the concentrators.
Old 2011-06-01, 8:42am
I'm a lilac!

I actually didn't know about the 21 until very recently. The price is astounding... I would really like to try it out, because I want to know how it fares as a beadmaking torch. It looks like it would be a pretty amazing entry-level pipe and marble torch.

Old 2011-06-01, 9:51am

After reading more about the 21-it does sound great for the price! I can't wait to order and receive it!
Old 2011-06-08, 1:15am

If you can afford it go with the Bullet. It is a great torch, two stage only when you need to go bigger.

Old 2011-06-10, 8:02am

Yea, the bullets are fantastic. I have some I can sell for 625 too!

The 21 hole is indeed a fantastic priced torch. A lot of heat, but not sharp center flame. The bullet basically has a megaminor in the center, and a outer ring of ports for doing larger melts. Great little torch

Old 2011-06-10, 5:20pm

There don't seem to be that many photos of lit Bullets, so here's a pair with just the inner, then both inner and outer. I tried to keep the cropping the same. It's capable of both more and less output, but this is probably a typical range one might use. And yes, it came from ABR!
Attached Images

Knight Bullet Burner
Tanks
mostly boro technical projects

"I'm sure I'm on a planet but I don't know if it's still earth."
Old 2011-06-11, 9:07am

How does this compare to the Lynx?
Old 2011-06-12, 3:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
How does this compare to the Lynx?
The Bullet is a 2-stage torch. The closest comparable GTT would be the Phantom (but the Bullet doesn't have the GTT triple-mix feature).

The Bullet is my favorite torch at this price point!

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2011-06-12, 3:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blong2001 View Post
Although I love this torch I think it is time to upgrade. I do need to stay with concentrators. (Have 2) What would be the next step up?
Thanks!
You didn't say *which* Little Dragon you have, but I'm assuming that it's the Little Dragon 7.

Any larger torch is going to require more oxygen. So, do keep that in mind (as in: you might need to budget in a 3rd or 4th concentrator too).

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2011-06-23, 10:51am

My Bullet works great on 2 M-15's I will add a 3'rd when I can but don't need it,just want bigger as most of us do.
the M-15 is on sell now too.
G.
Old 2011-06-26, 1:56pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

JMHO - Kim and I tried out both the bullet and the 21 for making murrini. I LOVED the bullet. I found it very nice for beadmaking, also, since it has an inner and an outer ring control. Kim ended up getting the 21 since it was so much cheaper and we were really only going to use it for making murrini and she was getting it as a second (well, 5th actually but who's counting? ) torch and wasn't going to be using it for making beads.

I find the 21 to be difficult if not impossible for making beads since there is no 'small' flame setting and the controls are not terribly precise. It's good for making murrini, though.

At home I have a Lynx and a minor (so you know where I'm coming from as far as torch comfort is concerned) and have a EX 15 concentrator that I use to run the lynx, which is the torch I am currently using. Keeping the minor, though. Love them both.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f