Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-10-12, 7:14am
KAS Lampwork Beads

Default How to coat mandrels in the middle?

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to coat a mandrel in the center. Is the bead release painted on or is there a special dish/tool that's available so the mandrel can be coated just in the middle? The answer may be very simple but I sure haven't figured it out. Thank you! Kathleen
Old 2005-10-12, 7:57am
I fart diamonds

I used to make a "dish" out of aluminum foil and pour the bead release into it. Then I would spin the mandrel in the bead release, slightly wrapping the dish around the mandrel. (You probably need to see it to know what I'm talking about.)

Now I've found that it's much easier to just use a tall container for deep dips. (I make my release in a 20oz Power Aide bottle.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-10-12, 8:16am
Ad astra per aspera

I bought a LARGE size of bead release, for starters. I use a 50/50 mix of Fusion and Fosterfire. I use a Tupperware spaghetti storage tube for the bead release. The lid just snaps on and seals pretty well. I also have an olive jar (about 1/3 the length of the mandrels) full of water. What I do is dip my mandrel in the spaghetti/bead release container, nice & slow, then swoosh it in the olive jar to "rinse" off the excess bead release from the other end. The nice thing is, I can let the bead release build up in the olive jar, then pour it back into the spaghetti tube to reuse. And the spaghetti jar seals well and is easy to shake up to remix.

Old 2005-10-12, 8:17am
ManBearPig

I hate to tell you, but the best way to do it is very complicated.

Dip it, then wipe one end off.

Old 2005-10-12, 8:18am
Gentleman of Leisure

Use something like shallow saucer or jar lid... Place (pour) bead release in it right up to rim, and then place mandrel across rim and roll mandrel to coat...

Dale M.

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2005-10-12 at 5:16pm.
Old 2005-10-12, 8:26am

I have seem people coat the mandrel from the bottom all the way passed the middle and flamed dried it. When they made their bead they wound the glass in the middle of the mandrel.
Old 2005-10-12, 9:39am
KAS Lampwork Beads

Thanks everyone. I like all your ideas and will try each one. Will start with Dale's method. I'm no inventor myself but I'm wondering if there's a need for a special dish for this? Think they'd sell? I'd certainly buy one! Thanks again.....now off to dip!
Kathleen
Old 2005-10-16, 3:02pm

I have a video instruction by Kate Fowle Meleney. She uses a long narrow container for bead release and coat her mandrel all the way past the middle. I also saw an ad of such a container by The Tool Store by Emeral Artistry. They call it The Big Dip. I think you can perhaps finod such a container in your kitchen. Good Luck.
Old 2005-10-16, 3:53pm
ManBearPig

You can just dip it and wipe the end off. I've done that plenty of times and it works fine.

Old 2005-10-16, 4:49pm
Crispy Critter

The easiest, cleanest and most economical way is to use an upside down coffee mug. Fill the indentation with bead release and roll away. I learned this tip from someone who used a plate, so can't take credit for it.

Old 2005-10-16, 8:10pm

I haven't tried it but I read somewhere that you can use a corn on the cob dish.
Old 2005-10-17, 4:01am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDreamer
I bought a LARGE size of bead release, for starters. I use a 50/50 mix of Fusion and Fosterfire. I use a Tupperware spaghetti storage tube for the bead release. The lid just snaps on and seals pretty well. I also have an olive jar (about 1/3 the length of the mandrels) full of water. What I do is dip my mandrel in the spaghetti/bead release container, nice & slow, then swoosh it in the olive jar to "rinse" off the excess bead release from the other end. The nice thing is, I can let the bead release build up in the olive jar, then pour it back into the spaghetti tube to reuse. And the spaghetti jar seals well and is easy to shake up to remix.
I do it this way and it is great because you can save the excess bead release! Plus it's a neat and clean way to do the job. If you can save the excess rather than wiping it off , then why not?

Thanks again for the tip, Karen!
Old 2005-10-17, 10:48am
Carpe beadum

Alright, I'll be the first to admit, I'm a major tightwad... I place a piece of wax paper on the counter, pour a puddle of bead release and roll the mandrel to coat in the middle. I then pour the left over bead release back in the jar, squeezing every drop from the folded wax paper.
Old 2005-10-17, 2:12pm
<--- Time traveler

Try using a jar where the mouth is significantly smaller than the main part. The longer the neck, the better. Tip the jar toward yourself slightly, just enough to make the bead release pool under the neck and start to spill over into the neck. Put your mandrel into the jar at a slightly higher andle than the jar, so that it only makes contact at the point where the release is pooling and spilling over. You may need to turn the mandrel a bit to get it coated all the way around. Obviously, this may be more difficult with extremely thin bead release.

Courtney
Attached Images

Old 2005-10-17, 2:39pm

umm, what about just taking a spoonful and pouring it on the middle of the mandrel over the container, then repeat.

coating the middle of the mandrel never made sence to me anyways, since you can just turn the mandrel around when switching hands.

Old 2005-10-17, 2:56pm
<--- Time traveler

I think a lot of people turn the mandrel around and use the same hand all the time, and some use both hands at once for certain things.
Old 2005-10-18, 4:23am
Beyond Cloud 9!

Hi all,
I used to use Karen and Lisa's method, dipping into large Fosterfire and then dipping into a mason jar to save as much bead release as possible. As for the benefits for me, it helped to steady my hands. I'd put one end against my right palm, with the stringer in that hand, and it helped steady my stringer application, moving the bead with the left hand. It was a little awkward at first, but very effective. Now that I have a Creation Station, I just put the release on the end, the more "traditional" way. That thing was a lifesaver!! (and no, I have no connection with the Creation Station people -- just love it and recommend it -- especially for carpal tunnel folks or shaky hands)
Lisa
Old 2005-10-18, 4:48am
Crispy Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibeads
umm, what about just taking a spoonful and pouring it on the middle of the mandrel over the container, then repeat.
This leaves an uneven coating of bead release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibeads
coating the middle of the mandrel never made sence to me anyways, since you can just turn the mandrel around when switching hands.
You don't have to switch hands if using the MOM. For me this means fewer burns, fewer lopsided beads, and less stress on my left shoulder.

Old 2005-10-18, 5:10am
KAS Lampwork Beads

After I posted this question I was a bit embarrassed to have asked because I thought the answer would be really obvious. Well, I'm glad to see that others have pondered the best way to coat a mandrel in the middle too. I'm surprised that each bead maker has her/his own original way of doing it! Thanks everyone for explaining your personal preferrances. Best, Kathleen
Old 2005-10-19, 1:01pm
Floral Obsessed

A possibly "silly" question - I've lampworked for two years and I'm pretty happy with my release-on-the-end approach... but I'm thinking I should at least TRY the MOM technique and see how I like it, especially if I use Desert-Dreamer's release-saving process. (I hate wasting stuff...) Okay, here goes:

How long does the mandrel need to be to do MOM? Would my 12" mandrels work?

Thanks! -Heather, willing to try anything once.
Old 2005-10-19, 1:42pm
Crispy Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather/Ericaceae
How long does the mandrel need to be to do MOM? Would my 12" mandrels work?
Yep.

Old 2005-10-19, 1:44pm
Ad astra per aspera

12" is just fine! That's what I always use, though I have a few longer ones (erratic cutting on DH's part )

I like the MOM method for many reasons. First, it's what I learned with Kate Fowle Meleney. Second, while I'm marginally ambidextrous (which comes in handy at times), I tend to make much better bicone ends with my right hand than my left, so I can swap. It's also helpful when trying to decorate beads symmetrically. It's not for everyone, obviously, but it's comfy for me.

Old 2005-10-20, 10:45am

I use the shallow bowl method as described by Dale - no muss, no fuss, no waste.
Old 2005-10-20, 10:56am
the 2 Michelle's

you know those small plastic pringle cans? Upside down, fill with a little release, roll mandrel.....return unused release.

I read that somewhere and it's handy.

You say bitch like it's a bad thing.....

bead on!!