Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-12-29, 1:48pm

Default ETCHING

Ugghhh..... What type of etching stuff do you guys recommend?

I got some etching cream from Wale last spring. I have been playing around with clear glass, making spacers, and applying the creme. I desire a final result of the spacers appearing with a HEAVY frost. No matter how long the creme stays on, I'm only getting a slight etching.

Any suggestions/ tips out there? Thanks

Duane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-12-29, 2:04pm
just plain silly

I use "Etch Bath Glass Dipping Solution" I get from the local Michael's craft store. It's expensive but I use their coupons to knock down the price. It etches quickly and I only need to leave the beads in it for a few minutes - throw them into some water with baking soda - rinse off well - and they are good to go. It works for me but maybe I don't know what a HEAVY etch is

Suzanne
Old 2009-12-29, 2:09pm
one day at a time

The crystals you can get at Arrowsprings work the best, I think. You mix them in water, which is added to the plastic jar they come in. Cheaper than other brands also.

If you get whitish crud on your beads after etching, use a toothbrush and a little toothpaste to scrub them clean. Works like a charm.
Old 2009-12-29, 3:50pm

I can vouch for Arrow Springs crystals too. I've tried many different kinds and the crystals give me the most consistent and even etch. And they last a long long time!!!
Mary T.

Old 2009-12-29, 3:54pm

Hi guys! Thanks for your responses! I haven't used Arrow Springs in ages (I won't get into the reasons here) but I'll be checking out their etching crystals now.

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2009-12-29, 5:53pm
Lampworkaholic!

Consider tumble etching in a rock tumbler?

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-12-29, 7:18pm
Lover of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
Consider tumble etching in a rock tumbler?
Can you give any more info on this?

Thanks!

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2009-12-29, 9:18pm
I need more boro stuff

I use Arrow Spring's etching crystals as well.

Old 2009-12-29, 9:51pm

Yep another vote for the arrow springs etching crystals.

I've also tumble etched - it takes much much longer and is totally messy, but for non etchable glass like boro it's the way to go. Silicon Carbide grit (different sizes - I prefer a finer grit - perhaps 120?) in a rotary tumbler. Allow at least 3 days tumbling. Not as fine an etch ... but perhaps an even finer grit would get there. I have one tumbling drum with etching grit in, one for tumbling silver to a slight abrasive finish (with ceramic media) and one stainless steel shot for burnishing. Never mix them.

Old 2009-12-30, 11:02am
Likes to melt stuff...

Are you etching boro or soft glass?
Old 2010-01-15, 10:47am
state-eternal change

Where do you get the silicon carbide grit?

Old 2010-01-16, 8:20am

Safety Point: DO NOT etch beads in your kitchen. Don't use utensils that will contact food ever again. Use nitrile gloves and eye protection. The etching solutions are hazardous materials and quite toxic, so be careful with them.

Robert
Old 2010-01-16, 12:10pm
I'm listen-Oooh, sparkly!

Roll the beads in baking soda while HOT will give you a decent matte finish, but I'm not sure if it'll change your colors. If you do it repeatedly, you can get some kinda cool effects - heavier pitting with the color showing through. Found it in a book, maybe Making Glass Beads by Cindy Jenkins? Just a guess, I'm too lazy to find the book right now

"Be the change you want to see in the world." Ghandi
Old 2010-01-16, 6:47pm

You can do the baking soda thing and get some serious pitting on the surface. This surface is very 'grabby' and will catch on fabric. Tumble these beads with SS shot for a couple of hours and you get a really cool surface that doesn't catch fabrics.

Robert
Old 2010-04-13, 11:00am

I just ran into something interesting....I've been shopping for tumblers and I have called 3 places and they all have said they have never heard of using steel shot in tumblers to etch glass, but from what I'm reading that seems to be what everyone is using. They recommend differing types of grit and then a polish?

Just curious on what people use in their tumbles, and how long does it take to etch beads in a tumbler using shot?

Thanks everyone!

Mike

"Lifes to short to drink cheap wine..."
Old 2010-04-13, 11:06am
Meow.

Hey Mike - you cannot use steel shot to etch beads, but it will polish silver very nicely!

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2010-04-13, 4:59pm

Yep steel shot is not abrasive but acts as a burnisher ... grits are what you need to mechanically etch glass.

I imagine that in Robert's scenario the steel shot (if he has that correct) must knock off the little glass protrusions caused by the baking soda bubbles?

Old 2010-04-14, 5:54pm
Sheila Davis Designs

I use Etch-all liquid,seems to work pretty good for me and easier than applying a cream.

Old 2010-04-18, 10:12pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Can't seem to find the etching crystals on Arrow Spring's website.
Maybe they're just out of stock temporarily but I'm wondering if they still sell these.
Does someone know?

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2010-04-19, 7:27am

If you want to tumble etch, putting a tub of cheap glass beads in your tumbler with an extra fine grit (1200 or 1600) silicon carbide works great and gives a very silky finish.
Joan
Old 2010-04-19, 5:17pm
..in withdrawal....

You can get the tumbling grit from, Kingsley North
Old 2010-04-19, 7:12pm
Now in living color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila D. View Post
I use Etch-all liquid,seems to work pretty good for me and easier than applying a cream.
Ditto. Three minutes. Done. So easy.

Jinx

Old 2010-04-20, 3:59am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

I use the Etch-All liquid that does a respectable job. I got it at Amazon.com for much less than I saw elsewhere.

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!