No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2010-08-28, 12:50am
Forever P~P~P :0)

Default Kiln Cart?

Ok.... I finally received my Paragon kiln and was wondering what type of cart can I put it on for the most mobility and where can I purchase this cart?

I work in my kitchen and have to put everything away when I'm done making beads and would need to put my kiln on something that is mobile. Any suggestions? thanks bunches Sandy

BTW: I have access to Home Depot, Lowes and Harbor Freight!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2010-08-28, 1:15am
Beyond Cloud 9!

Proxibid.com has online auctions all over the country. Restaurant liquidations often have heavy duty stainless steel carts for practically nothing. I found one for about $25 and it's a great addition to my studio. I'm betting there are auctions in your area featured on the site. Might be worth checking out.

Old 2010-08-28, 5:10am
Hobby Junkie

There's a great one I want at Harbor Frieght. It has 3 shelves and was around $60. Check out their tool carts.

Old 2010-08-28, 6:21am

I have a cart that is like the steel shelving you can get everywhere now - not solid pieces, the open ones. Anyway, this thing is sort of like a tea cart, with a handle. It has three shelves, and is very solid. I have 14" ceramic tile that I just set on the top shelve and then put my kiln on it.

I think I got it at Sam's or Home Depot. It is probably 3' long, 2' wide, and counter height. I got it originally to store cleaning supplies in the garage to wheel into the house when I clean. hahaha. I never clean, so like everything else, it got appropriated for lampwork.
Old 2010-08-28, 7:42am
Gentleman of Leisure

Go to Northern Tools site and search for "carts"...

http://www.northerntool.com

About 5 pages of carts come up many are of no interest but here are a bunch at about $50 to $150 that have potential.... Even some with drawers....

Might also check out the "tools" section of Sears, Home Depot, Lowes. Picked up freight damaged 5 drawer roller cabinet (lower tool box) at Sears for $40 all it had was a few paint scuffs.... Something similar to this...

One like the above is about $279, but you may find one freight damaged like I did for a lot less....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-08-28 at 7:48am.
Old 2010-08-28, 8:15am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I'm with Dale. I use a tool box very similar to the one pictured except mine has all drawers instead of the lower 'bin' space and I also got it for less than $50 at Sears in the scratched/damaged area.
PJH
Old 2010-08-28, 8:18am
And silence is golden

I found the cutest little metal typewriter cart through our local metal recycler who combs the neighborhood the night before garbage pick-up. My kiln fits on it perfect, and all it costs me is aluminum cans and other unwanted metal items. Basically free.

For those of you who don't know what a typewriter was, it is a mechanical or electromechanical device with a set of keys that, when pressed, cause characters to be printed on a medium, usually paper. By the end of the 1980s, word processors and personal computers had largely replaced the tasks previously accomplished with typewriters in the western world. Typewriters, however, remain in use in various areas of the world.
Old 2010-08-28, 4:26pm
honorary bead lady

Sandy which kiln? Like Dale and PJ said the tool chest is great if it has weight in the bottom.

Do not get this cart... http://www.harborfreight.com/three-s...cart-6650.html
The wheels are to close together for the height of the cart.

This is better...
http://www.harborfreight.com/24-inch...cart-5770.html
Old 2010-08-28, 7:28pm
just plain silly

I got a cart at IKEA a few years back at a very reasonable price.

Suzanne
Old 2010-08-28, 11:47pm

OMG everyone!! Thanks bunches for all the wonderful ideas. I actually have Home Depot, Harbor Freight and......IKEA all within a 15 minute drive from my house. Ya'all Rock!!

houptdavid ~ I got a Paragon kiln, I think its a PC2? It has the door on the front, plus the bead door in that. I purchased it used from Lou C. It's perfect and looks pretty much brand-new. Haven't sparked it up yet ~ waiting to get the cart first!!!

thanks again everyone for all your advise and suggestions. I truly appreciate it!!

Sandy :0)

Sandy

Old 2010-08-29, 8:44am

I got the ones that Dale has in the studio. They hold the grinders, saws, and one of my small kilns. Very sturdy and roll around everywhere.
Geneva
Old 2010-08-29, 11:11pm
I'm meeeeelting

I have this one from Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...wer-90428.html

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2010-08-30, 11:03pm

awesome..... I think I'm going to try the cart artsyuno just suggested. I like that it has the extra draw for storage, as well as the bottom shelf for some of my other big jewelry tools.

thanks again everyone!! Sandy :0)

Sandy

Old 2010-08-31, 7:54am

I love having my kiln on a cart! I also work in my kitchen and can pack most everything on my cart when I get done (except fan/vent setup). You will love it!
Old 2010-08-31, 8:52am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I was in Costco at the 'commercial' store and they had a 'special' on stainless steel tables about 24 x 36 inches. I was in a hurry so didn't get prices but casters could be added to the thing to make it a cart. Then again it may have had wheels.
PJH
Old 2010-08-31, 7:31pm

I actually have a metal cart, that I bought at Sam's Club but all my glass and lampworking supplies are on it. It's very sturdy but I didn't think I could put the kiln on top, due to the heat. I'll snap a photo of it and post what I have and see what ya'all think..............:0)

Sandy

Old 2010-09-01, 4:14am
..in withdrawal....

I have one kind of like this...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Commercial...hrome/11072962

Look for BIG sturdy wheels like the ones pictured -- anything with little cheap plastic wheels won't cut it..
Old 2010-09-02, 4:31pm

Wow Kay......... that cart is just like the cart I have except mine doesn't have a handle but has a sold top.

Sandy

Old 2010-09-12, 4:06pm

Actually, I have the cart David says not to get and have no problems. You can't 'swing it around' but it is heavy and full of glass anyway.

Here is a link to the thread with my portable set-up:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...light=portable

SRA #C88

Old 2010-09-12, 4:49pm
honorary bead lady

Vicki is that the 16" or the 24" wide cart? We have 2-16" in the cabinet shop and if there isnt enough weight in the bottom they will tip rather easly
Old 2010-09-13, 3:59am

I am not sure. I started to say 24", but it might be 16. I have stuff on all three shelves with the lightest being on the bottom, BUT the stuff on the bottom shelf is not lightweight. I am careful when I move it, I always thought that was a function of the fact that it is top heavy - the kiln is on the top shelf.

SRA #C88