Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-09-24, 1:29pm

Default Oval large holed mandrels?

Do they exist?
Old 2012-09-24, 1:37pm

I've never seen any. Might be out there someplace. Maybe check European suppliers?
Old 2012-09-24, 3:01pm
Senior Moment

Something like this?

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232041

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-09-24, 5:07pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

How on earth would you ever break the bead release loose on an oval mandrel, being that you couldn't twist the bead?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L-111

Old 2012-09-24, 5:21pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

You can do a thicker release (double dip) and that gives just enough room to eek it off the mandrel.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2012-09-24, 5:30pm

Default oval mandrels

I got these at the Gathering!
http://www.t-beads.com/Mandrel-for-M...ck_p_1300.html
Old 2012-09-24, 5:54pm
Mad about Glass

Japanese beadmakers use them all the time.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/11013797...tterfly-satake

[url]

Old 2012-09-24, 6:36pm

Great question!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eregel View Post
How on earth would you ever break the bead release loose on an oval mandrel, being that you couldn't twist the bead?
Old 2012-09-24, 6:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetslive View Post
Sweet! Have you used them?
Old 2012-09-24, 7:09pm
Mr Brutus RIP

I had one like this before and I did it the same way I do my buttons. I soak and then remove from water. Give the bead a jiggle up and down holding it by the long ends. gently doing this just breaks the release and lets it come off. Just use little movements.

mamagerbs, I gave the size in the thread, here too 9mm x 15.4mm

Old 2012-09-24, 7:11pm

Yes, I have used them & they work great. Usually I can just wiggle the bead a little & the bead comes loose. I got 1 kinda stuck & I hammered it with my rawhide mallet to get it loose. I use Fusion as y bead release. Hope this helps! Debbie
Old 2012-09-24, 9:12pm
MacGalver

Has anybody got a good source for the oval leather cord? It is 10mm x 6mm, and some places call it Regaliz leather. The only places I am finding are charging $1.00 or more for an inch of it. Anybody found a better price?

Jo

Old 2012-09-24, 10:35pm
I speak Murrini!

Here's my "tip" on removing beads on odd shaped mandrels - hearts, ovals, squares:

1. After annealing and cooling, remove as much release from the mandrel up to the bead as possible while dry.

2. Using either a embroidery needle or long, thin glass head sewing pin (which is easier to handle than the needle), go around the perimeter of the bead - both sides - to remove as much of the release as you can.

3. DO NOT try to wedge the pin between the mandrel and bead or you may break either the pin or the bead! Just gently scrape the release away as best you can - this will form a little access area for soaking if necessary.

4. If you can, gently slide your bead off the mandrel.

5. If your bead doesn't slide off, soak the bead and mandrel in water for about 10 minutes and see if it's ready to slide.

6. After a soak, try again to slide the bead off. Hopefully, at this point, the release has softened up and the bead will slide off with a minimum of pressure.

7. If it still won't budge, try running the needle 'round the edge of the bead between the bead and mandrel, and remove a touch more release if possible. Soak and try removing it again. It may take several rounds, but I've never broken a bead this way...I just had to be patient and keep working on it...

I have used this technique with the heart shape, the oval and when I made a gazillion "square" beads (I used a square solid steel stock bar that I bought from Home Depot! ) It worked every time - and I made one little square with ever color I have...it was a total of 70'something beads! For the record, I use Sludge Plus - I think it's the best release ever!

Hope you find this helpful...

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2012-10-10, 11:02am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frit Diva View Post
Has anybody got a good source for the oval leather cord? It is 10mm x 6mm, and some places call it Regaliz leather. The only places I am finding are charging $1.00 or more for an inch of it. Anybody found a better price?

Jo
Bumping this. I was curious about where everyone is getting the leather and findings.

Dweezil
Old 2012-10-12, 1:28pm
daughter and I

Goody beads, about 70 cents inch for the licorice leather . Less if you are more than one length. They have a couple different types leather and findings.

Seaside Fire Designs

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just swish and spit.

Last edited by valerie_folly; 2012-10-12 at 2:18pm.
Old 2012-12-26, 1:20pm
Burning through glass

Gail Joseph (GG Glass) will be carrying the leather and an assortment of clasps & tools around the beginning of the new year. Convo her if you have any questions.

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2012-12-28, 5:52pm

I was going to recommend Goody Beads, too. If you're close enough to any of the Innovative Beads Expo venues, Clever Treasurers carries lots of kinds of leather and findings. I love Deb's selection and it's fun to see everything in person. http://www.innovativebeadsexpo.com. Deb has a website, too: www.clevertreasures.com.

For leverage on beads, apply some hot glue to the jaws of a pair of pliers and let it set up. A little wiggling will loosen beads from odd-shaped mandrels, including the curved mandrel that makes great beads for the Capture Silver Silk.

Nolly