LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-02-24, 2:40am

Sand in a coffee mug for odd sized mandrels. Christmas RAGK of an aluminium bar mandrel holder for the rest - I love it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2013-02-24, 1:03pm
Pincel de Fuego

Hahahaha I laughed out loud at the kids holding the mandrels... I just lay mine at the side of the table....

/
/
Old 2013-02-24, 1:34pm
novembersfyre everywhere

[quote=shawnette;4243325] Tee Hee!!

/QUOTE]

I was wondering who would notice that statement

The scotch tape at the end of the hollow mandrels seems like a good idea to keep the sand out!

Old 2013-02-24, 3:35pm
No Longer an LE Member

Florists green styrofoam blocks work great - not pricey either
Old 2013-02-24, 5:07pm

I use a cookie tin and sand. It's shallow, wide and won't tip over. It holds SO many mandrels.

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford
Old 2013-02-24, 7:34pm
It's about having fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotty dots View Post
OMG......That beautiful timber stand!!!

Does he take commissions?
Mandy
Thank you! He's usually busy with his furniture so I have never bothered him before but I went ahead and ask him for this, I knew he could do this easily then I would have something from him, I love it!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2013-03-23, 5:32pm
Pincel de Fuego

Sometimes I still laugh to myself when imagining the children holding up the mandrels hahahaha

/
/
Old 2013-03-25, 11:44am
Artistically Absorbed

I found a cake pan at the thrift store, that looks like a Devo hat from the 80's. I drilled holes in it and epoxied it to a plate with sand inside. I love it, it holds lots of mandrels, and is funky like me.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2013-03-25, 12:31pm
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoTantuli View Post
I found a cake pan at the thrift store, that looks like a Devo hat from the 80's. I drilled holes in it and epoxied it to a plate with sand inside. I love it, it holds lots of mandrels, and is funky like me.
As long as you don't torch in a trash-bag parka...

-BEP ( who just fired up "Gates of Steel" on his iPhone )
Old 2013-03-25, 1:05pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
This cigar box idea is great! I would love to try that for my larger mandrels. I use sand in an oval shaped tin. Only problem with the sand is I have to swirl it around and sift it sometimes because in my extremely damp climate, it gets damp and then when it dries, it gets "crunchy". By that I mean hardened, and when have to force the mandrel down in it, the wet bead release slide down a little. It messes up my dip!

I liked the cat litter before, but I don't remember the brand and it was really fine textured. The last stuff was not and the mandrels would stand too loosely in it.
I wonder why it is more extremely damp climate on the east coast than it is on the west coast? I'm straight across west from the Miami area, and I have never had problems with dampness. Guess we must have our own little ecosystem here.

Contributing member of the EPIC FLOUNCE thread 2013
Proud member of YOU PEOPLE thread.
Old 2013-03-25, 3:19pm

Tom,

Is the vent on your bench down-draft ventilation or replacement air? It looks so cool!

Nolly
Old 2013-03-25, 7:27pm
Borovangelist

Replacement. I have a metal feed trough hood with a squirrel cage fan that hangs over it

|
|
Old 2013-03-27, 6:54am
No Longer an LE Member

bye

Last edited by Dr Bill; 2013-08-03 at 7:14am.
Old 2013-03-27, 7:13am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
I use 1.5" to 2" styrofoam sheet.
Yup, me too.