No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-06-01, 10:58am
Glass-aholic

Question Anyone still using divardi?

I know long time no see..... but I love it here can't keep away... Stalk my faves on fb still too!

Anyways

I love some of the divardi colors and was wondering if they have gotten any better shocky wise, or if the smaller rods behaved better etc. I did a search but only came across people bashing and trying to fix things. I just want to know from people who actually use the stuff successfully what they like rod size less shocky wise and no bashing here pls. I've only ever used the big odd rods of metallic black. Also, how's the clear? And have any fav colors etc. I like the purples and misty looks cool too.

Thanks!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-06-01, 11:06am
Live and Let Live

I would go over and check the Devardi forum for current info. All the fans pretty much got pushed over there with all the negative opinions over here.

Old 2013-06-01, 11:08am
Glass-aholic

Thanks

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-06-01, 11:36am
Echo's Mother

I use some of their glass. They have a pink cane that I love. Yes, shocky. I preheat it in the kiln and then it behaves. Their clear is fine if you just want clear; it is not super clear like the expensive stuff.
Old 2013-06-01, 12:09pm
Bigger, longer, and uncut

I still use Devardi, and, yes, the rods are as shocky as ever! When I gear up to torch with them, I set some in my little Sally Beauty Supply heater to preheat.

My favorite is the high-density black. It doesn't pit like Effetre. The rods that I'm sent are usually really fat, but the heater preheats them nicely.

Old 2013-06-01, 12:39pm
Glass-aholic

Thanks so much. I don't need expensive clear, just for frit bases I think, it's cheep enough to get and play with I guess. I like what you are saying about it. I'm in a shopping state of mind this week........... 100 bucks sure does go farther on some sites than others! I can get glass frit and marvers for the price of just a few pounds of glass on other sites.

Thank you all for the feedback.

Evelyn I have a bead just like the one in your signature, great minds..........

Old 2013-06-01, 2:41pm

I use Devardi. Their purple really reminds me of EDP (devits, too!), and I love their Salmon color (roll in silver leaf, multicolor dark frit - beautiful!). Their metallic/silver black is awesome and easy to strike. All cheap, cheap, cheap.

Personally, I like the thicker rods. Melt a good sized piece and you immediately have an 8 to 10mm bead.

I have to preheat it, though.

Barbara
Old 2013-06-01, 4:55pm

I have only tried a few colors recently. Preheated on top of the kiln I didn't have any shocking problems, rods are fat and somewhat oval. Will probably try more. Saw someone using the color lined rods and they were really neat.

Georgia
Old 2013-06-01, 8:34pm

The fat rods are more shocky, preheating helps a lot.
Introducing rod slowly works for me without preheating but I'm on a hothead and its almost a zen meditation thing.

Old 2013-06-02, 7:53am
sunscreen me baby

I use some of their colors solely because they are so soft. I make production flower discs out of the black and the brown. I also use the black and brown for hair because it lets me get the stringer on fast enough I don't have to worry about the head and torso getting too soft. Plus the brown fills that hole for a shade that isn't reddish. My batch isn't very shocky and while i know there is no guarantee I won't get one next time, it makes me quite happy.

~

Old 2013-06-02, 9:53am
No Longer an LE Member

Smile

Bye

Last edited by Dr Bill; 2013-08-03 at 7:11am.
Old 2013-06-02, 2:03pm
Ad astra per aspera

I still use it (I bought a LOT when it first came out). I'm very fond of several of the transparents, especially the very rich golden-yellow and pale green. I preheat all of the rods on top of my kiln, letting a touchable end hang over the edge so I can pick them up.

Old 2013-06-02, 3:08pm
Slogan Challenged...

Hi! Nice to see you around. I like it for 104 frit, as I think the colors look cleaner. I love their tools, and such good customer service too. I think if you pay more for the thinner rods, the problems aren't as bad. I think it might be worth it for those hard to find colors. Have fun.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-06-22, 7:13am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28676bhe View Post
I use Devardi. Their purple really reminds me of EDP (devits, too!), and I love their Salmon color (roll in silver leaf, multicolor dark frit - beautiful!). Their metallic/silver black is awesome and easy to strike. All cheap, cheap, cheap.

Personally, I like the thicker rods. Melt a good sized piece and you immediately have an 8 to 10mm bead.

I have to preheat it, though.
I also use some of their glass and like some and hate some.
Barbara, I have some black silver glass and I cant get it to strike, are there any tips to get this glass to work.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-06-22, 10:21am

the clear is junk, plain and simple. with most of their colors, so long as you heat gently, you can usually make them not explode. most of the smaller diameter rods they have are much more tame.
Old 2013-06-25, 6:57pm
A Dragonfly's Journey....

I have found that over time a LOT-if not MOST-of our beads created using their glass have broken or the color have separated and cracked, and yes we properly annealed them ALL! It's really frustrating for me since we put a lot of hard work into out beads only to find this out a long time afterwards. We had ordered a whole bunch or their glass when we started out not knowing any better and should have known you get what you pay for! I love their pinks, but they ALWAYS burned NO MATTER what we tried! I think we got ONE bead out or a few rods worth of pink that actually came out that somewhat resembled the same color and didn't come out brown/grey and that was because we had to turn the heat WAY DOWN and use tools to work it and it wasn't even round We ordered their rod warmer and helped A LOT but we never seemed to need it any other brand of glass! We also ordered their annealer and had to have the first one returned after only using it about 5 times. We tried to give them the benefit of the doubt and maybe it was just a fluke received the 2nd one and used that a few times and that one crapped out on us as well so we asked for a refund. I do love *some* of their colors that we have not been able to find any where else, like the olive and the Indian Marble, and the metallic black/gun metal I think it is called, are awesome and deff would order again if used on it's own and not mixing with any other colors! I also found that we could not get any of the transparent colors to work with any of the opaques/semi-opaques and the white was very picky are well, almost as if they we not the same COE! Very frustrating!! They had AWESOME customer service and were extremely helpful I will give them that much, but we just couldn't afford to put any more money or time into trying to figure out how to use their products.But we have since stopped ordering from them and been using Effetre and have had no problems since and has been well worth the extra we paid for it, not cracking, no problems so much better!
~Chrystal

Facebook-

Last edited by A Dragonfly's Journey; 2013-06-25 at 7:03pm.
Old 2013-07-04, 8:34am

I really like their pink, too. It burns so easy and I could never get it to look pink using propane. When I use pink, I use propylene, and my beads turn out very true in color. There are some colors i always burn or either they look dull and ugly using propane, but get great results with propylene. I personally feel it's because propane is a dirty fuel. I also wonder if the atmosphere has anything to do with it. I live inthe Texas Panhandle. It's very dry and windy here.
Old 2013-07-04, 9:02am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly Bird View Post
I really like their pink, too. It burns so easy and I could never get it to look pink using propane. When I use pink, I use propylene, and my beads turn out very true in color. There are some colors i always burn or either they look dull and ugly using propane, but get great results with propylene. I personally feel it's because propane is a dirty fuel. I also wonder if the atmosphere has anything to do with it. I live inthe Texas Panhandle. It's very dry and windy here.
Thank you for explaining that. I have repeated it over and over until I turned blue about what a huge difference it would make if people would use propylene instead of propane. That's why the HH gets a bad rep and too many people get frustrated with it early on, and just have to switch to an oxy/propane torch. They don't give the HH and propylene a chance.
Old 2013-07-08, 6:14pm

I use it all the time. As long as I preheat it I have almost no problems at all. With any of it. I just stick whatever I am working with in a rod heater and get to work. As long as I put the rod back in the warmer when I am not using it, it works just as well as any other glass I have used.

Old 2013-07-08, 6:15pm

I have to say I haven't had any of the beads that I made from Devardi beads crack after a long time. If they haven't cracked right away, they are fine. I have beads that I made 4 years ago that are still fine, and none of my customers have ever complained about a bead cracking or breaking.

Old 2013-07-10, 9:42am
kinda torching....

I LOVE Devardi! For there awesome prices and great tools! Just picked up an iso med claw grabber for $10! YES $10!!!

I also got a very nice 2 and 1 an 3/4 marble mold with handle for less then $15!

I also got a nice and cheap paddle and an aluminum marver with stand

Ill be posting reviews after my kiln parts arrive!
Old 2013-07-10, 10:03am

I use their silver foil all the time, you can't beat the prices.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-07-10, 5:05pm

Have to say that I have tried the glass and like many find the colours beautiful, but just too shocky and not worth the time trying to work with. However, I ordered a heap of tools recently to try from them, and for the price they are great! They were also out of stock on one item I had paid for, so I asked for a slightly different alternative which was $3 more. When I asked how to pay the extra, I was told not to worry, they would send the alternative at no extra cost. Nice customer service

Old 2013-07-15, 4:59pm

If you want to talk shocky glass, try Bullseye some time--and look at those prices! I use Bullseye all the time because I love their colors and the translucent quality of the glass, but it can be a real pain.

Devard is the same to me ... I like the colors, so I put up with the shocky nature of the glass. I've never had cracking or compatibility issues between the Devardi and any of the other 104 glass that I use.

I noticed that some of the Devardi colors just don't look as pretty over the oxy/propane mix, but on a hothead, they are beautiful. Guess when I set up a second torch, it will be a hothead so that I can work the salmon, copper black, and cranberry and get the true colors out.

Everything has its ups and downs, but I like the prices at Devardi, they ship quick, and even their shipping is as low as I've ever seen. I like their expanding palette of colors, too.

Nolly
Old 2013-07-15, 6:23pm
one day at a time

They have pulled down many of their popular colors into thinner rods, and for the most shocky of the colors, I think that would be worth the extra $2 a pound. Some of the larger diameter rods are not any worse than Effetre. You would have to get a sample pack to try them out, and keep a record of the working properties of each for future reference when ordering.