No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-09-22, 10:46am
I ate a big red candle!

Default Efficient way to clean off excess pixiedust

Is there such a thing? Pixiedust is easy for me to apply, but I feel like I spend more time trying to get all the excess off when I'm cleaning the bead up the next day.

Currently my method is to scrub the hell out of it with a cleaning bristley brush and then roll it around in my hands for a few minutes under running water. I still feel like I don't get 100% of the extra off.

Would a tumbler or something help? ideas and thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2014-09-22, 11:09am

I haven't worked with it but would an electric toothbrush or nylon brush on your dremel do the trick.

Old 2014-09-22, 11:22am

An ultrasonic cleaner might do the job.
Old 2014-09-22, 12:05pm
Angie09

I'm not sure why you're getting so much pixie dust that needs to be removed? I just heat the bead to a glow, stick it in the pixie dust, hit the mandrel on the side of the pixie dust container to get rid of excess then whirl it around in the outer part of the flame. Then into the kiln. That's it....nothing done to them gather that.
Old 2014-09-22, 12:49pm
I ate a big red candle!

I mean when I'm cleaning the beads the next day. I feel like the extra is always on my hands when I think I'm done. It stays on the beads too, I just always feel very glittery when I'm done and I don't want customers to get the impression that it's going to come off the bead.

Nylon brush on a dremel might work well, but I don't think it'd be faster. Usually I make multiple sets at the same time and I'm trying to cut back on my cleaning time.

Anybody else used an ultrasonic cleaner? That sounds interesting, but it sounds expensive and I want to make sure it would work.

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2014-09-22, 1:19pm

The one and only time I tried pixie dust, I had the same problem when I got the bead out of the kiln the next day. I had just put on far more than could beach the glass to stick to it. I have since read of using a wad of wet/damp paper towels to wipe off the excess before putting the bead into the kiln, but haven't tried it. Good luck; spending time cleaning off pixie dust is a pain.

Mimi
Old 2014-09-22, 3:57pm
hyperT

They make a small 1 inch or so wire brush in wire or brass etc. That would probably do the trick for you. Most hardware stores would carry them and some of the Dollar Stores too. You can use it on a hot bead and not worry, if it gets to hot then some of the brass my impart to your bead. Or is that a hint for something else again? The bead should be fairly solid before brushing.

Last edited by hyperT; 2014-09-22 at 4:00pm.
Old 2014-09-22, 5:05pm

I soak mine in white vinegar and never had a problem~ give that a try, I leave them in over nite.
Old 2014-09-23, 5:17am
Peerless Thread Killer

You can get less expensive ultrasonic jewelry cleaners-I don't know if it would work, but they aren't too pricey.

Old 2014-09-23, 10:29am

Lots of ebay sellers selling them - quite a few under $100 brand new. I'd go for one of the stainless steel industrial units - they're useful machines in this line of work.

Last edited by dusty; 2014-09-23 at 10:35am.
Old 2014-09-23, 1:51pm
I ate a big red candle!

what else is it used for?

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2014-09-23, 7:48pm
Artistically Absorbed

I tap mine on the edge of a steel garbage can before I put it back in the flame to give it a touch of warmth back into the bead. Any other excess should mostly burn away in the flame, causing sparklies to happen. Just don't get it too hot after the pixie dust is on the bead.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2014-09-24, 4:53am
Glass-aholic

Just soaking in water and towel drying usually gets it all for me. Maybe make a little story card that says something about 'if ur lucky the fairies might let yon have a little sparkle too' could be a good marketing scheme lol

Try rubbing a little hand salve or cuticle wax on them. I use Burt's bee's products mainly cuz I was playing with different stuff i had on hand. But a little rub might work.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-09-25, 6:04pm

Using the damp paper towel will remove any excess pd before you put it in the link. That is the way I learned years ago.
Old 2014-09-25, 6:32pm

I always use the damp paper towel on the hot bead. Works fine.