Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: What were you most afraid of as a lampwork virgin?
Lighting the torch 227 42.91%
Shocky glass flying at you 126 23.82%
Not being as good as you hoped to be 146 27.60%
Not having everything "just right" 55 10.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 529. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-02-11, 2:02pm
Flame On!

I was afraid of the TORCH! Bwahahaha!!!! Sad, but true, the very idea of lighting it made me a tad queasy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-02-11, 3:16pm

For me..being at it a whopping month and a half..it's sucking so bad i have to sell everything off I have a severe handicap...i have absolutely ZIPPO color coordination..to the point i ask the clerks in stores..do these match ha ha...i can put a website together piece of cake...clothes..not so much.

Becky
Old 2013-02-13, 12:56am
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyNoe View Post
I have a severe handicap...i have absolutely ZIPPO color coordination..
Haha, Becky, you sound just like me. After pulling many beads out of the kiln I say to myself, "I SWEAR these colors looked great next to each other in rod form!"

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-02-13, 6:01pm
Loving learning

Becky, there are a couple of tutorials for sale where they are showing you color combos that work!
Old 2013-02-13, 9:13pm

I was afraid of lighting the torch. My hubby insisted I use a striker cause it's much safer. Yea, right. It seems I always had to turn my propane up so high it would almost explode when I lit it. Now I use a Bic lighter & it works so much better & doesn't scare me any more.
Old 2013-02-14, 4:49am
Now part of the Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly Bird View Post
I was afraid of lighting the torch. My hubby insisted I use a striker cause it's much safer. Yea, right. It seems I always had to turn my propane up so high it would almost explode when I lit it. Now I use a Bic lighter & it works so much better & doesn't scare me any more.
As long as you keep your Bic lighter up and away from your torch you are good, a Zippo is much safer.
Old 2013-02-15, 3:44am
Artistically Absorbed

I checked shocky glass, but really my biggest fear was burning down my studio space, which was in someone elses house! I made an entire floor of plywood covered in metal for the the room they let me use because I was so paranoid! Also I think when you first start people like to tell you the stories of studios that blow up...or at least in my case that was so....Major Nervous Nellies!!! Thankfully it wasn't as scary as I thought!

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2013-02-17, 11:46am
It's about having fun!

I was afraid of the kiln! Seems so silly now but it sat there for months before we fired it up! I guess I thought it would just get so hot that it must be very dangerous..
Thank you! Joni
Old 2013-02-17, 2:45pm

I guess Im lucky, Im a newbie who is, apart from spiders, not afraid of much. Just make sure you keep your hair up!
Old 2013-02-20, 6:50pm

I was terrified that my safety skills were not up to par. I live in the boonies, and didn't have anyone to check out my studio, torch, etc., and I almost had nightmares about it!

Finally, after messing around for almost a week, I lit the torch and it worked! I turned on the exhaust fan and it worked so well that it sucked up any bugs in the room!

Barbara

Last edited by 28676bhe; 2013-03-11 at 1:05pm.
Old 2013-03-12, 7:22am
hyperT

My uncle who I was apprenticed to LOL
Old 2013-03-12, 4:39pm

Finding out that there really are dumb questions
Old 2013-03-17, 1:30pm
addicted to dichro

Definitely the popping glass. I was pretty terrified until I realized that yes it's true that it almost always pops away from you. I just had my dad light the torch for me at first so that wasn't an issue. I was 15 when I started making beads so I had a bit of parental supervision.

Old 2013-04-17, 12:43pm

I just started out and I'm surprisingly not afraid of the torch at all, or shocky glass cause I have experienced a lot of that but it has tended to fly away from me, I guess the flame blows it that way. I'm mostly scared (very very scared) of breathing in toxic fumes working outside right now, looking into hiring a HVAC guy to install a ventilation hood and install it
Old 2013-04-17, 12:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly Bird View Post
Lol same here I tried te striker 4 times without it working so I said ah hell I will use my bic. Has worked fine for me
Old 2013-04-17, 2:42pm
Loving learning

Make sure you don't keep it near the torch. I heard a story recently where the lighter exploded after a while near a got torch, and the person scorched their their face & eyebrows. Thank goodness for safety glasses!
I use one with the long nose like for the fireplace, but I walk straight to the shelf 6 feet away & put it down there after the torch is lit. It never is put on my work surface, so I don't forget to move it.
Old 2013-04-17, 2:53pm

It's only there for a second after I turn the gas on, poof and it's out of there for sure lol
The striker scares me I'm not sure I know how to use it properly
Old 2013-04-17, 2:59pm

Ah yeah and I hate hate hate spider webs and spiders and I hang my apron in a spider-webery area, I'm afraid of getting spider webs on me yuck! I need to put nails in a different area to hang my apron. Will do that today maybe.
Old 2015-03-07, 6:06pm
kinda torching....

Ive used torches for over 16years now, and lighting my mirage for the first time was one of the scariest things ive done lol I think the reason i was so worried tho is because its my forst triple mix and also the single most expensive purchase ive ever made after a vehicle!
Another fear ive really been dealing with lately is a sheer fear of glass, mostly clear rod and tube. Ive been terrified if it breaking in my hands. Ik being a glass artist this sounds pretty stupid, but ive been feeling this way since i got badly cut and needed stitches. I could see the tendon, bone, and arteries...

Old 2015-03-14, 12:13pm

Thank you all for this dscussion - it made my day this Saturday I had all beginner's supplies in hand for about a couple of weeks but could not get rid of the fear that the glass will shock. I am not new to working with glass and had some good burns while soldering a SG lamp as well as deep cuts but thermal shock seemed to me as something completely different and much more horrible. And the prepared mandrels were just waiting as well as the lovely glass...

But after reading this topic (twice, frankly speaking) I decided to try. Didn't want to stay alone with my fear anymore and wanted to join you, brave and creative. Spent half a day to provide as safe corner as possible, screw the canister support, etc.

Well... Managed to produce 2 pretty ugly beads - uneven, when I was doing the first one my hands were shaking, the glass was peacefully melting but I was waiting for some disaster, forgetting to rotate the mandrel evenly... "LOL". But when I took them out of the blanket and laughed looking at them I realized that all I now want - to go on. But I will anneal them in the kiln and save for shaking the bead release
Old 2015-03-14, 4:38pm

Congratulations, Katia! Be sure and save those first beads so you can look back at them in a little while and see how far you've progressed!

Mimi
Old 2015-03-19, 2:44pm

Mimi, thank you, I definitely will It's finally happened - got 3 or 4 small shards on the desk Recognition of this have not yet made my beads perfect, but the visible performance have already done a lot - it happens - yes, but if to consider it to be a point to turn off the torch - no, for sure
Old 2015-03-19, 10:32pm

Running out of oxygen. it made me rush my work and learn less.

I had to get a concentrator in the first 4 months and save some money and work longer hours.
Old 2015-03-22, 6:31pm
Wyoming Silvers

I began with a very used Bethlehem torch/ everytime I would turn on the center ports it would bang and pop! Very scary/ sent it in for repairs , it was so old it was not repairable. But hey, it was a start!

Lovin my Lynx with M20
Old 2022-02-02, 2:17pm

I am most afraid of failing, to be honest.

Failing and realizing that I won't ever be an artist. I can't draw or paint, but I am obsessed with art. So, I am buckling down and doing daily sessions where my dots aren't pretty, and reading as much as I can and watching people on youtube do their dots to try and understand how to get it even every time. That's my first goal.
Old 2022-02-02, 2:34pm
Loving learning

Kathy, it takes a lot of practice for most of us, so don't feel bad. Everyone has to learn, it is a new skill for sure. So hang in there, and hold on to a few of your first beads so you can see your progress later.

In case you have a pile of beads where you think the dots are not perfect, or your design is wonky, check out the BeadsofCourage.org website. The kids in the program are not picky about perfection, as long as the beads are not too fragile and the ends are not sharp, etc.!
Old 2022-02-02, 3:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Kathy, it takes a lot of practice for most of us, so don't feel bad. Everyone has to learn, it is a new skill for sure. So hang in there, and hold on to a few of your first beads so you can see your progress later.

In case you have a pile of beads where you think the dots are not perfect, or your design is wonky, check out the BeadsofCourage.org website. The kids in the program are not picky about perfection, as long as the beads are not too fragile and the ends are not sharp, etc.!
That's a good idea, because I am pretty sure I will have a real collection of funny dot beads after a while. Lol

Hanging in! I have seen progress, so that's good. My husband says I am in the training portion of a Kung Fu movie where we see the montage of failures before he suddenly kicks ass. Ha
Old 2022-02-02, 5:42pm
Phill

I've really got to go along with your husband on that one Kathy.

For me, my best stuff comes when I relax and let my muscle memory take over.
But first I had to do that forty bead challenge thing to allow my body to learn how to play with molten glass so that my muscles had some memory to work from.

I really suffer from the "gets in his own way when learning" problem.

I had to forget about trying to accomplish something and just play until I stumble on to happy accidents like that painter guy was always going on about.

I still have to mentally sit on my hands while I let the glass play in the flame.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2022-02-02 at 5:44pm.
Old 2022-03-20, 11:42am

Transporting up a full, K-sized oxygen tank from Chicago to Des Moines. I kept picturing having an accident and it literally rocketing through the front of the car. Oh and the cost, it's a big leap from a hothead to even a beginner oxygen setup and I'm afraid of losing interest.

Last edited by ctuai; 2022-03-20 at 12:02pm.
Old 2022-09-20, 4:45am
Rank Amatur

Kids, Cat, shocky glass and toes..

Studio space was in the utility room initially, but after one too many glass shards being removed from toes it went into a caravan on the front.

Picked up some CiM Orange Crush and its even shockier than trying to recycle a glass jar! That was the decider to move..

Oh, and ventilation.. that scared me!