Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-11-27, 6:08pm
Renee

Default Problem with Pandora type beads

Ok- Someplace I messed up. I bought Dave's lining tool, both the Rio and the Bulk buy tubing and 5/32 size mandels.

My first problem is my bead release. I use Alice's and when I dipped the larger mandrels, the bead release was cracking all over the place. (Mixed up some fresh and same problem). For smaller mandrels there is no problem at all. It works fine, so my guess is I need another type of bead release. Any recomendations???

Second problem- beads will fit chain unlined, but I can't come close to lining them with the tubing. Is this where I double dip?? Isn't there just a larger mandrel that I could use??

ANY help would be greatly appreciated! I wanted to do some lined beads for an upcoming show in Dec, but I can't seem to pull it all together! Help!- Pretty please???? Renee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"All unattended children will be given an expresso and a FREE puppy!"
Old 2008-11-27, 6:14pm
Dangerous Woman

I'm having the same problems! I HATE double dipping! I'm with you can't we just get a correct size mandrel?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-11-27, 6:24pm
novembersfyre everywhere

You need the 3/16" mandrels for the bulk buy Pandora tubing. I don't double dip - it just seems like a PITA to me!

I use the 5/32" when I want to make Pandora style beads that I won't be lining.

Hope that helps!

Old 2008-11-27, 6:25pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

what MaryBeth said and I hightly recommend Fusion bead release!!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-11-27, 6:54pm
The Crazy One

Fusion yummmmm! Here's my "Bead release rant:"

Please take no offense. I understand that people have their likes and dislikes in bead release. I understand I do. I have used various releases at various venues: Blue Sludge, FF, some pink crap at a studio (because I didn't know enough to bring my own), Dirty Looie's (yup wasted 3 bucks on that!).

I use Fusion (FPI), always have. Other than the 3 bucks for the DL (used it twice. Once with good success, the other causing a painful death by water, but at lease I enjoyed the sound effects!). I have only bought Fusion. It's what I started with, it's never given me any problems. For me it's easy to clean, easy to release, easy to have a relationship with. By that I mean I have used mandrels I dipped over 6 months ago, mandrels that I have double dipped, and mandrels that I have flame dried.

I have had to thin the stuff, but it works just as well when it's thick. I have thinned with lots of different things: Tap water, bottled water, water out of my bead cleaning can, and yes, even beer!

I expect a lot from a bead release:
I want one without a personality! I have enough of those in my head as it is. I want it hold when I burn, twist, jab, add glass and pull. I want it to not be offended by those wonkers that have been in all the jars I have owned for the last 4 years (I do occasionally wonder what they look like. I'm just not brave enough to pull them out).

I want a release that’s abusable, I abuse my glass, my mandrels, my torch, my tools, and my Studio Wench Pam, before she left. I expect nothing but the best performance from everything in my studio. OK so sometimes my Studio Wench would busy torching along with me and couldn’t get me that beer I want, but otherwise she was the greatest!

I hate to shop, I dislike decisions, I don't like change. I have found the release that gives me everything I need so I'm sticking with it. Fusion.

Woooooooo guess I went off on a rant.... Sorry about that, I now return you to your regularly scheduled bead release bitching.
Old 2008-11-27, 7:05pm
Mad about Glass

Renee, when using the larger mandrels I found I needed to really heat the bead release until glowing. I don't know if this will help.

Isn't it funny/strange how bead release behaves differently for different people.

Fusion just broke all the time for me no matter size mandrel or type of glass I used.
BOM was fine until I tried to use it with boro.
FF Smooth & Tuff was fine except for boro.
Old FF Heavy duty breaks even with soft glass.
What am I doing wrong!!!

Sludge Blue was recommended to me but I can't by it in Australia!!!!!

Jenn

[url]

Old 2008-11-27, 7:10pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post
Fusion yummmmm! Here's my "Bead release rant:"

Please take no offense. I understand that people have their likes and dislikes in bead release. I understand I do. I have used various releases at various venues: Blue Sludge, FF, some pink crap at a studio (because I didn't know enough to bring my own), Dirty Looie's (yup wasted 3 bucks on that!).

I use Fusion (FPI), always have. Other than the 3 bucks for the DL (used it twice. Once with good success, the other causing a painful death by water, but at lease I enjoyed the sound effects!). I have only bought Fusion. It's what I started with, it's never given me any problems. For me it's easy to clean, easy to release, easy to have a relationship with. By that I mean I have used mandrels I dipped over 6 months ago, mandrels that I have double dipped, and mandrels that I have flame dried.

I have had to thin the stuff, but it works just as well when it's thick. I have thinned with lots of different things: Tap water, bottled water, water out of my bead cleaning can, and yes, even beer!

I expect a lot from a bead release:
I want one without a personality! I have enough of those in my head as it is. I want it hold when I burn, twist, jab, add glass and pull. I want it to not be offended by those wonkers that have been in all the jars I have owned for the last 4 years (I do occasionally wonder what they look like. I'm just not brave enough to pull them out).

I want a release that’s abusable, I abuse my glass, my mandrels, my torch, my tools, and my Studio Wench Pam, before she left. I expect nothing but the best performance from everything in my studio. OK so sometimes my Studio Wench would busy torching along with me and couldn’t get me that beer I want, but otherwise she was the greatest!

I hate to shop, I dislike decisions, I don't like change. I have found the release that gives me everything I need so I'm sticking with it. Fusion.

Woooooooo guess I went off on a rant.... Sorry about that, I now return you to your regularly scheduled bead release bitching.
This ^ , is why I tried Fusion

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-11-27, 7:11pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekkie View Post
Renee, when using the larger mandrels I found I needed to really heat the bead release until glowing. I don't know if this will help.

Isn't it funny/strange how bead release behaves differently for different people.

Fusion just broke all the time for me no matter size mandrel or type of glass I used.
BOM was fine until I tried to use it with boro.
FF Smooth & Tuff was fine except for boro.
Old FF Heavy duty breaks even with soft glass.
What am I doing wrong!!!

Sludge Blue was recommended to me but I can't by it in Australia!!!!!

Jenn
Have you tried thinning the Fusion? The only time I have had it break is when I have it too thick.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-11-27, 7:12pm
Dangerous Woman

I am a true FF smooth and tough user/lover. BUT it does crack on me when I use it on large mandrels a lot and I can't count on it all the time with boro. I tried Sludge (?) I think maybe Sludge plus? Didn't like that at all! Yuck! I wish we could buy small sample sizes of bead releases to try.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-11-27, 7:44pm
Flame Dames Rule!

I use two bead releases and love em both:

FUSION for most of my work. Before you apply the glass you have to gently warm it... if you blast it with heat till it glows red, the release weakens and will usually break.

The new DIP N' GO BLUE SLUDGE when I know I'm going to need really heavy-duty hold. With sludge you *HAVE* to heat it till it glows red, that strengthens it. And beads come off the mandrel as easily as Fusion.

I've found that folks who tell me Fusion is breaking are usually giving it the full red glow treatment...

*s*

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2008-11-27, 8:20pm
Renee

Thanks so much for the input- off to find the fusion and the right size mandrels Renee

Old 2008-11-27, 8:29pm
Renee

Ok- One more question?? Where can I find the 3/16 mandrels? I found the fusion on Franz site, but not the right size mandrels.....Thanks again Renee

Old 2008-11-27, 10:25pm
I speak Murrini!

Noodlesaurus has all kinds of sizes, including 3/16":

http://www.noodlesaurus.com/catalog.php?category=17

I use Sludge Plus - and I've been very happy with it! I have a couple bottles that I'm working through, but might (after Loco's rant - I mean testimonial..giggle and duck!) try Fusion on my next purchase!

De in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-11-28, 11:21am
It's all about the color.

My first and favorite choice is Fusion, for all the reasons Loco said, but with one exception. I use Bucket of Mud (old formula) when I am doing something that I want the bead hole as transparent as I can get it. I don't have to use the dremel to clean the hole so it's not as frosty looking, but I do find it much more difficult to get the beads off and I can't flame dry it so I have to keep a couple mandrels dipped in it just in case I want to use the BOM. I wouldn't mind doing without the BOM, but I LOVE the Fusion.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2008-11-28, 2:29pm

I also use Alice's bead release and found that when you double dip make sure that the first dip is good and dry. Slowly warm up your mandrel. I found that when I put it right into the hot part of the flame it starts cracking and popping.
Hope this helps. I prefer the 3/16 then you don't need to double dip.Barb
Old 2008-11-28, 4:44pm
one day at a time

KRAG Mudd, awesome for big hole beads! Very durable in the flame with no flaking, and holes are really smooth.
Old 2008-11-28, 7:09pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlaurel View Post
Ok- One more question?? Where can I find the 3/16 mandrels? I found the fusion on Franz site, but not the right size mandrels.....Thanks again Renee
There's someone selling these in the Garage Sale