Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2010-08-26, 4:57pm

Default Fish are swimming....

As most of you know, if you make beads for BOC, it's easy to make "girl" beads. Flowers and frills and sparkly dichroic just naturally appeal to girls. "Boy" beads are a little more challenging, so next month the Houston Hotties (Houston Society of Glass Beadmakers) is having a challenge for all of its members to make beads especially for the boys in BOC.

I had been asked a few months ago to make a fish for a little boy named Ben who loved to fish and was missing his favorite pastime, so I thought other little...and bigger...boys might like a fish too. Here are some from my first day, and I made another eight the next day (gotta clean those fish)
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Since they'll be handled by children I wanted them to be durable, but still have the characteristics of fish. Dainty and delicate are words you never want associated with your BOC beads. I can't wait to see what our members bring to the September meeting. I'll take my camera and get some photos to share.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-08-26, 5:15pm
just plain silly

Oh Diane, those are soooo cute (in a manly sorta way) and the colors are really fabulous!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Suzanne
Old 2010-08-26, 5:58pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Those are really cool! I'm sure the boys will love them.

Old 2010-08-26, 6:02pm
And silence is golden

They are so cute too Diane!
Old 2010-08-26, 6:56pm
Never give up

I like those and I think the boys will to. Its starting to cool down, so I will be on the torch soon. Boc will be on the top of the list. I make little motorcycle guys for the guys that ride with by son. This guys are 16 - 21, and so funny. The 16 year old flipped out,and love his, his is hanging in his truck. I was thinking the boys would love it at BOC also. What do you all think??
Old 2010-08-26, 6:58pm
Texas Art Angel

Awesome Fish Diane! I know they will love them.
Old 2010-08-26, 7:36pm

Those are great Diane and I know the kids will enjoy them!

Old 2010-08-26, 7:46pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

Those are really terrific, Diane!

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2010-08-26, 7:58pm

Thanks everyone. These kids go through so much that anything we can do to lighten the load is great. I hope to do some more"girly" fish too.

Now if I can only think of some other things boys would like.

Old 2010-08-27, 12:47pm
Corgi Cult Member

Diane, that is a fantastic design!!! They are sure to love them and I'm sure a few girls will choose the fish too.

Old 2010-08-27, 12:59pm

Smile

Those are absolutly darling, Diane! I love how you shaded the belly different from the top of the fish, and yes, they look plenty sturdy to put on a cord for the kids.

Boys, I find pretty much can like anything! Just not 'cutsy' or 'girly', but they love cool colors and intriguing depth to go explore inside their glass baubles. I always get so honored and excited when I see little (and big) boys like my stuff
. You 'think' they are hard to please, but really, not so bad.

Old 2010-08-27, 8:23pm
Favorite color is shiny

Love those fish!!! excellent idea for boys!!

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!

---> LE
Old 2010-08-27, 8:35pm
Remember to keep smiling

They are adorable and what a wonderful idea.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-08-28, 6:40am
Wahwahbabypants

Boy stuff: sports balls (soccer, baseball, basketballs) bats, hockey sticks. Critters (bugs, slugs, creepy crawlies) fish, cars, trucks, Harry potter (ie sorting hat, nimbus, golden snitch) Space stuff (aliens, flying saucers) cool colour combinations (ie lots of dots)

Older boys(10+): Japanese animated creatures (ie Pokemon, anime),music related (ie guitars, rock band logos ie ACDC) Twilight--believe it or not! (vampire stuff) Skulls

You BOC artists have my respect.

I might go Crazyif I don't go Crazy Tonight.
Old 2010-08-28, 12:25pm

Great fish, Diane, but then everything you do is wonderful!
Hugs,
ginger
Old 2010-08-28, 9:20pm

Thanks Ginger, I made owls today and they were so much fun! a friend recommended I make some Hedwig owls, so I know what I'll be making tomorrow. hoot hoot.

Old 2010-09-12, 8:21pm

Diane,

You totally rock! Love them all!
Old 2010-09-13, 11:48am
Texas Art Angel

You should see these in person. Wowzers they are awesome.
Old 2010-09-13, 12:15pm
Creatrixie

Oh Diane, your fish are wonderful!

I love how sturdy they are. I'm sure that any of the children in the BOC program who get one will be thrilled.

The way that you've used frit is awesome too...makes your fishies so nice and speckled!

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2010-09-18, 8:05pm

Hello Diane!
Thank-you for your continued support of Beads of Courage. We are already in the planning stages of our next Houston BEad inspired event.
I will be in touch soon.
Take care,
Victoria
Old 2010-09-27, 2:20pm

Diane~

Those are perfect KID fish beads!

We have a group (So Cal Flame Surfers) that gets together for these BOC bead days too. Last get together we made lots of little monster or alien type beads for boy beads....that was fun! But I may have to use your fish style (if you don't mind) as an example for our upcoming challenge next month.

have fun and be sure to post pics from your get together!

Cheers~
Judy

eBay: nada!
Old 2010-09-27, 3:49pm

Thanks Lara, By all means, please use the design. Here's a link to my website where I have a free tutorial.

I hope BOC is overrun with fish!

Old 2010-09-28, 11:08am

Diane I Love your fish! and thank you for the free tutorial!!